The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

Hello guys, it seems that BackgroundProcessing is lacking behind the newest version (which is already 0.4.0.0) on CKAN and its github repo. CKAN is still updated only until version 0.3.5. Would be nice to see it fixed some day (I'm patient^^), but just to mention, in the meantime there were two other versions of this mod released.

Have a good day :)

In case of BackgroundProcessing, the netkan file and/or the distribution is very slightly broken. It looks for a "BackgroundProcessing.dll" in the zip archive, but the version 0.4.0.0 zip contains a "BackgroundProcessing-0.4.0.0.dll". You should ask the author whether he has changed his packaging in the last few releases...

Aaah, actually, yes, he has changed it after 0.3.5. This is the reason we have only up to 0.3.5 in CKAN :cool:

Hm, ok I see. Does it mean that if the autor doesn't change back the dll-name, there won't be any updates in the future and I just install it manually again? Or is netkan able to track down the new-version-dll's?

Here is a screencap of me trying to wrangle EVE.. You'll notice I cancel the update. If I don't it will just sit there saying 'done!' for hours. Also, at the end where the mouse pointer goes funny, that's when CKAN crashes. Edited by KerBlam

http://youtu.be/A7muvbOjfNo

Here is a screencap of me trying to wrangle EVE.. You'll notice I cancel the update. If I don't it will just sit there saying 'done!' for hours. Also, at the end where the mouse pointer goes funny, that's when CKAN crashes.

Sorry KerBlam, I really have no idea what could be possibly going on.

I suggest you do this:

1) backup *EVERYTHING*

2) remove EVE manually

3) using the command line, remove EVE: "mono ckan.exe remove EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements"

4) rescan the folder using "mono ckan.exe scan"

5) reinstall the package

And let me know how it works out. Also, it's probably better if we move to a github issue, so we can have our own private thread which is easier to follow (which is why we prefer github issues for support requests). Thanks!

Sorry KerBlam, I really have no idea what could be possibly going on.

I suggest you do this:

1) backup *EVERYTHING*

2) remove EVE manually

3) using the command line, remove EVE: "mono ckan.exe remove EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements"

4) rescan the folder using "mono ckan.exe scan"

5) reinstall the package

And let me know how it works out. Also, it's probably better if we move to a github issue, so we can have our own private thread which is easier to follow (which is why we prefer github issues for support requests). Thanks!

I lodged a Github report about 2 weeks ago.

I hope that the next time EVE does an update, the problem will clear itself up, as the version number will change.

At the moment I did actually manually uninstall it, and installed Astronomers Pack (which reinstalls EVE anyway, but I couldn't install Astronomers through CKAN because for some reason it said that it conflicts with EVE, even though EVE is a dependancy.

Even manually uninstalled the indicator for EVE stayed in the GUI.

My games working fine, so my biggest gripe is that EVE always wants to update so I have to untick the box (I know, boohoo right?)

Sorry about that, we are lagging behind... we don't have enough man-power right now, we'd need more people to help us out :/

Don't apologise dude... It's all good. I've been rattling the cage because I haven't had a response yet, and I just wanted to know if anyone was aware of my issue. Now, if I come up with any solution I'll post it, otherwise I'll wait for an update, either CKAN or EVE.

The only thing I can think of is alphabetical comparison of version strings... is 1.1 smaller or larger than 1.1.3 ?

Just to clear this up, 1.0.3 had a typo in the github release version number (marked as 1.03) and since that is no issue for anything other than CKAN I didn't realise or see it as an issue.

Vysen identified the problem and since he linked me straight to it I *think* I fixed it by changing the version in the meta file for 1.0.3 to be correct.

Anyway, I would suggest making use of githubs "Latest Release" tag if you can. That can avoid beta releases being treated as latest (use the pre-release flag) and typo's mucking up the automatic update system for mods that are added for w/e reason but aren't directly supported by the authors.

Honestly, we don't have a good way (yet) to recognize such dll name changes. It bites us with the ModuleManager installation too, for which we write up new ckans by hand every time...

So, untill someone comes up with a good enhancement to netkan, having the author stick to his old naming scheme would be your best bet...

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, I would suggest making use of githubs "Latest Release" tag if you can. That can avoid beta releases being treated as latest (use the pre-release flag) and typo's mucking up the automatic update system for mods that are added for w/e reason but aren't directly supported by the authors.

Interesting suggestion. We already use the pre-release thingy from github so we should index only "final" releases.

Would you mind to write a github issue for the "Latest Release" tag so it does not get buried in this thread? Issues have a much higher chance of being worked on whenever one of us finds some time :)

I have a problem with updating some of DMagic's mods: it seems like ckan tries to update mods from the "recommends" list and then fails when they are not installed. Is this a ckan problem or on DMagic's side?

CKAN 1.6.0 has been released!

Get it from the download page.

This update introduces "metapackages". A metapackage is a package that doesn't install anything (and therefore, has no "download" field), but only depends, recommends and suggests other packages. In short, we now have full support for modpacks.

See here for an example of metapackage.

Also, the "show" command in the CLI now works for mods that are not installed.

*P.S: the changelog might be incomplete, could hakan please fill in the blanks for me? :P

Edited by Ippo

For a bit of code that does absolutely nothing to change gameplay, CKAN is absolutely essential to KSP. I'm most amazed that it has taken this long for a program like this to appear.

The only change I would want is to be able to select incompatible (compiled for older KSP release) mods to appear in the update filter. I realize this is hard to understand, and if I can think of a better way to state it I'll post an edit.

Tried using this the past few days and found that it was absolutely no help in reducing the time I spent modding the game. The repertoires are outdated and don't include Kerbal Stuff of CurseForge and even though some of the mods it installed were listed as the latest version, AVC found that it had installed the previous version.

Going back to manually installing the 150+ mods I wish to use as it gives me more control over what I'm doing.

Just back to say:

1. Hakan and Ippo are my heroes. Thank you both so much!

2. I'm still around! February is all earmarked for me doing company tax and KSP-related work, so I hope to be catching up on all things CKAN as part of that. Expect me to have lots of questions! :)

3. You are all wonderful people.

~ pjf

Is there a uninstall button? That might come useful if there's not enough RAM or space.

To uninstall a mod, remove the check from the "Installed" column checkbox (next to the mod you want to remove obviously), then click the "Go To Changes" button and it will give you the option to uninstall.

Hello,

I thought I'd try out CKAN today and I'm encountering a little problem.

Long story short: I have a spotty internet connection that frequently, briefly disconnects. I have a copy of Astronomer's Pack that I'd like to put in the cache directory for CKAN to use, but I don't know how to derive the hexadecimal code that the file is prefixed with to enable CKAN to pick it up.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sorry, my cache has no copies of those files as they are "restricted" from the license :(

If you could give me the identifier of the Astronomer's Pack addons you are trying to install (there are multiple files, for clouds, etc), I could download them on my system and then send you the hash code for the URL.

The cache file for the visual pack should be called:

D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program>dir CKAN\downloads\*astronome*
Volume in drive D is DATA
Volume Serial Number is 5269-5BA6

Directory of D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\CKAN\downloads

12.02.2015 18:46 398.413.030 13625883-AstronomersPack-Interstellar.V2.zip
1 File(s) 398.413.030 bytes
0 Dir(s) 124.492.562.432 bytes free

Just take your pre-existing zip file, and drop it into the right directory with the right name... And, best, verify the file size beforehand...