The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

the final mystery problem is all the remote servers return errors as it says.

edit.

actually. it says it can't connect to servers

Have you managed to run a Refresh or is that the step it's failing on?

If you're trying to install a mod (aka Refresh worked and you see a list of mods) can you tell me the name of a mod you're attempting to download?

Have you managed to run a Refresh or is that the step it's failing on?

If you're trying to install a mod (aka Refresh worked and you see a list of mods) can you tell me the name of a mod you're attempting to download?

I have attempted many mods, such as adjustable landing gear, collision fx, and many others.

sometimes it's refresh, sometimes those

I have attempted many mods, such as adjustable landing gear, collision fx, and many others.

sometimes it's refresh, sometimes those

So this is turning into a real "KEEP IT SIMPLE" solution when I checked the repo files. CKAN attempts to download and cache the mods from Kerbalstuff (true for both Adjustable landing gear and Collision FX) but that site is currently down. Therefore the files won't download and CKAN reports, correctly, that it cannot connect to the server.

As a quick test can you attempt to install e.g. Regolith or any of the USI mods (I'm pretty sure regolith is the smallest one). Those are hosted elsewhere and if they install correctly the problem is definetly with Kerbalstuff being down.

EDIT: KS is back up and stuff should be working again

Edited by Dazpoet

I assume that you run the latest version of OS X and that your standard download folder is Downloads.

Have you installed the latest release of Mono? http://www.mono-project.com/download/#download-mac <--download and click the file and then accept terms etc to get it.

Have you downloaded the latest release of ckan? https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/releases <--download the ckan.exe

If you have not already done the 2 above steps, do them now.

Press Cmd+Space --> Write "Terminal" --> Press Enter

A terminal window now opens

Write "cd Downloads/" and press enter

Write "mono ckan.exe" and press enter

CKAN should now start, push the "Refresh" button and it connects to the repository to check for the list of mods and then you're good to go.

Thanks for that - Really Appreciate the reply - I will attempt this tomorrow in the morning and report back.

Thanks again!

Thanks for that - Really Appreciate the reply - I will attempt this tomorrow in the morning and report back.

Thanks again!

I've updated the User guide for installing CKAN on OS X to include the steps in my earlier post. Hope it works.

I keep getting 404 Errors when I try and install KSP interstellar saying it can't locate the TweakScale file

Check TweakScale thread, there was upload with faulty files recently. Could be a reason why you can't update it properly. Try to install Tweakscale manualy or wait a bit longer until everything is uploaded properly on all servers.

Edited by kcs123
link to thread

Check TweakScale thread, there was upload with faulty files recently. Could be a reason why you can't update it properly. Try to install Tweakscale manualy or wait a bit longer until everything is uploaded properly on all servers.

I'm trying to move the zip file directly in the CKAN download folder but it won't accept it as there is some code that usually appears in front of the files name (for instance the one for B9 is 8EABF558), can someone please give me it for TweakScale?

It seems several mods have been lagging behind for days now (ksp-avc is picking up new versions, ckan is not). So far I've got old versions of Contract Configurator, Docking Port Alignment Indicator, Tweakscale, QuickSearch and QuickScroll. Is there a problem with my install, or is the ckan meta-data outdated? Running with the default CKAN repository.

Looking at the error produced in CKAN:

Downloading "https://github.com/Crzyrndm/FilterExtension/releases/download/1.17/Filter.Extensions.1.170.zip"

Downloading "https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/449/Mk3 Mini Expansion Pack/download/V1.1.3"

Downloading "https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/344/TweakScale - Rescale Everything!/download/v1.52"

Error!

...and then browsing to "https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/344/TweakScale - Rescale Everything!" brings me to the correct KS page.

Hovering my mouse over the DL Link and looking at the status bar, I see that the version is v1.52.1

CKAN is trying to grab the file "v1.52" and not "v1.52.1"

I would be of no help in fixing this in a hands on way, but perhaps when CKAN goes to KS to get files, maybe have it not be so picky/specific and just 'virtualy click' and/or use whatever is delivered by the Download button, rather than specifying 'get me this specific file at this specific address'.

It is clearly CKAN asking for a file by address that doesn't exist. It's a case of the right mailbox, but nobody by that name lives there now.

Unfortunately, this one little version difference is causing Interstellar and ALL of it's dependencies to fail and revert.

Could we get it to prompt to open the Download Page on Errors like this to manually install, and then It prompt to continue or abort th rest of the dependencies? Not sure if this would break your 'Won't affect change to anything not installed by CKAN,' as it is clearly a case of "I want you, CKAN, to install this, but you can't, so I'll give you a helping hand if you show me where you're trying to get it, then you can proceed with the rest."

Another issue...

KAE - KSPAPIExtensions is listed as AD (Auto-Detected?) after a fresh install of KSP and CKAN.

I literally installed KSP and CKAN to a freshly formatted drive, and it is there...

Does CKAN save/access installation info anywhere else than the folder it resides in and any folder the mod says it needs as well?

Even more frustrating, if I have mods installed, and have to do something to troubleshoot conflicts, most times CKAN stop recognizing things it installed, either by displaying an AD, or more recently and more commonly just not seeing it at all. But if I try to install a mod it doesn't see/AD, it will definitely throw an error.

CKAN is trying to download - 404

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/344/TweakScale - Rescale Everything!/download/v1.52

Correct URL is

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/344/TweakScale - Rescale Everything!/download/v1.52.1

I've tried to add a hosts exception so it redirects to localhost, but got stuck on it being a https request. At this point, I'm spending about as much time hacking away CKAN as if I were to do everything manually. Any way to patch the metadata or get the hash (eg. 4EF16F05-) so I can manually cache it?

TweakScale is now fixed. Thanks to archont for hopping onto the IRC channel and nudging us about it.

However it appears that our index bot is currently AWOL. I'm taking a look around now and will try to nudge it as best I can. (However nlight is the expert on the indexing bot, and I'm hesitant to bother him on his birthday!)

On that note.... Happy birthday nlight! :D :D

Update: I'm not quite sure why our indexing bot isn't running its regular updates, so I may have to escalate this to nlight or hakan. However I *can* manually reindex mods, so if there's anything that appears to be woefully outstanding then you can hop on IRC ( #ckan on irc.esper.net ) and either ask me nicely, or ".tell pjf Can you please re-index <favourite mod>" if I'm not around. (It's almost 3am here in Australia, so I'll be dropping into bed soon.) You can also ask nicely here, but I tend to see IRC messages first. :)

On a more important note, the CKAN is proving to be so successful that we're very much in need of improved infrastructure to keep things running. If you work for a company that provides cloud infrastructure, or would be willing to cover our rather modest requirements, you can read more below.

CKAN Infrastructure Sponsor Needed

Many, many thanks,

~ pjf

Sorry for the inconvenience, v1.52 had a bug that can corrupt craft files, and I thought I saw downloads on KerbalStuff increasing even after the fix was up so I decided to take that one down.

This is the best reason ever to take down a release! Thank you for saving everyone in the modosphere! :)

TweakScale is now fixed. Thanks to archont for hopping onto the IRC channel and nudging us about it.

However it appears that our index bot is currently AWOL. I'm taking a look around now and will try to nudge it as best I can. (However nlight is the expert on the indexing bot, and I'm hesitant to bother him on his birthday!)

On that note.... Happy birthday nlight! :D :D

Thank you, to everyone for getting this working again!

Happy B-Day, Nlight!

Could someone please direct me to specific information on creating a 'metapackage file' for CKAN?

in-context: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues/761.

I attempted a 'non-code contribution' on github, but I think it was interpreted incorrectly. (Ippo343, pjf, Alex, Thank you for your inputs!)

With a little pointage-in-the-right-direction, and then some hands-on practice, I'd be more than happy to add to the wiki an entry to cover the topic of custom/user-default Mod-Lists for those "when I install KSP, these mods are guaranteed to be in it..." or "I had to reinstall KSP and forgot which mods I had..."

On a side note: Does anyone know definitively if the -no-onethreaded switch works with -force-opengl? I have a hard time getting KSP to run (not crash before first launch) with just a handful of mods. I have already attempted the .dds with marked load time reduction (Thanks sarbian and Lilleman!) I can get the -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded to run Stock but memory usage is huge, even with the DDS Loader and Active Texture Management(Aggr.x86)(Thanks rbray89).

Shaggygoblin : it's not exactly a CKAN related matter but "force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded" is a placebo. When you look at the loaded DLL you see that DX9 is loaded. I should start a thread about that when I get the time to take a few screenshot ...

Could someone please direct me to specific information on creating a 'metapackage file' for CKAN?

in-context: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues/761.

Finally got around to writing a small wikientry about metapackages so I'd recommend that you start there for now. https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-support/wiki/Sharing-a-modlist-%28metapackages%29

Not sure it's exactly what you want but it should be a start at least :)

Edited by Dazpoet

An option to make a txt file with the installed mods and their respective version would be an amazing debugging tool for KSP.

Second this. I think that I already suggested something similar not so long ago. Simple memo box instead of list, so you can copy-paste installed mod anywhere on forum will be great help when you need to figure out why some mod work properly for one user and why not to other user.

Hi, just dropping by to let you know that I'm working on preliminary deb packaging. You can get a deb package from here.

Please note that this package depends on mono-complete >= 3.10, which is not available in Ubuntu. You will need to follow these instructions to have the latest version of mono.

This package will also install a small script that automatically runs ckan through mono.

In the future I hope to move it to a ppa... but first I need to figure out how a ppa works.

Shaggygoblin : it's not exactly a CKAN related matter but "force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded" is a placebo. When you look at the loaded DLL you see that DX9 is loaded. I should start a thread about that when I get the time to take a few screenshot ...

... :huh:

I did notice that, but remember reading somewhere that early applications of DX10-11 were heavily using existing DX9 stuff.... I just racked it up as that. (my memory is about as reliable as Jeb's finest work though...)

Finally got around to writing a small wikientry about metapackages so I'd recommend that you start there for now. https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-support/wiki/Sharing-a-modlist-%28metapackages%29

Not sure it's exactly what you want but it should be a start at least :)

Anything is better than nothing, thank you!

Edit: I should have clicked the link before replying here. ZOMGBBQBACON! Dazpoet, you need a raise! Beautiful work, and exactly what I was needing to know. I'll make you a sammich! ...with bacon!

Edited by Shaggygoblin