WIP - Environmental Visual Enhancements Development

rbray89

Seeing my achievements right now, I think I should write a proper review about the last version of the overhaul... A lot of my first impressions are wrong.

Btw, I don't know how I do it (I'm searching the concrete change :P) but seems that I have auroras working on dark side (of course not when PlanetShine do his work right, then the black is back).

There are some type of error, somewhere, in your EVE's .cfg files.

Yep, somewhere there was an error. Everything looked alright though so I'm pretty baffled.

Chez, are you using cam values in your config? Looks like an incorrect cam clipping plane value

I don't think so? It just re-did the config and things are back to normal, which is good. This latest version is pretty buggy though. I'm getting some pretty weird atmosphere issues.

Yep, somewhere there was an error. Everything looked alright though so I'm pretty baffled.

I don't think so? It just re-did the config and things are back to normal, which is good. This latest version is pretty buggy though. I'm getting some pretty weird atmosphere issues.

I had that type of errors usually and I think as you before, but is not buggy, it's just high sensitive with typo mistakes. An extra comma, or a point in a wrong place when you are changing values, can turn all down.

The atmos needs to be reworked (turns wrong to darkness and so on) as Rbray said some pages ago. ;)

This is probably a stupid question, but what's the difference between this and regular EVE?

This is the thread about the development of the new version of EVE. The difference and the topic, in some way, is how this version does the old things, and how does a lot of new things.

This is probably a stupid question, but what's the difference between this and regular EVE?

This is a tad more unstable, but has so many more features that aren't present with 7-4. From a player perspective, the only major changes in this download are atmospheric haze, a new cloud layer, new city lights and daytime cities.

Rbray I've been thinking, whist trying out the new SpaceEngine which employs CubeMaps for all of its solar system textures, how conceivable it might be to have cube map projection for cloud layers? I'd allow >8k overall textures on planets (which I know might be way to much for x32 currently).

I dunno just a thought :)

I have yet to verify it works with the new version, but I was able to put clouds on the Sun in the original EVE. To make them not appear black, you just have to give them very high RGB values (higher than one, e.g. 24) - due to the way Unity interprets colors, this will cause the clouds to render with bright colors even when not illuminated, or backlit as is the case on the Sun.

I found a nice sun-like orange was afforded by R=64, G=48, and B=32.

EDIT: I have now confirmed this does not appear to work in the Overhaul version, which makes me sad. If possible I think it'd be nice if rbray could add a little "glow" factor that assigns an emission / self-illumination value for cloud layers so we could also have cool lightning layers on Jool, bioluminescent clouds on Laythe, etc.

Edited by parameciumkid

• 2 weeks later...

I found a nice sun-like orange was afforded by R=64, G=48, and B=32..

you know the real sun is white, do you?

I have some bug or issue I don't know why its there. I have it in old and in Overhaul Eve. Anytime I place clouds (the 2D ones, not volumetric) on my upscaled Pol they appear way above the planet:

HUjRyKn.png

WHY?!?!?

How does EVE handle RSS upscales, do I have to write something specifically different into altitude od the clouds?

EDIT: Tracked it down on being a general issue with former small bodies. Bop and Gilly have the same issues. Is there any way to apply cloud effects to those bodies? My Pol has a radius of 1700km now, its properly big and it has an atmosphere. I would like to be able to apply clouds to it

Edited by SkyRex94

But.. The sun is green....

Most of the Sunlight is green, that is right.

But if you look at it with your eye ( not recommended) or a camera, while you are in space, it appears white to us. And how something appears to our eyes defines the color of it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.