[WIP] Mining and Processing Extension [KIMP] resumed

riocrokite

Just a post with frame dimensions for future reference:

agrFqOy.png

Extrawide frame has currently following dimensions: upper base width = 4.47m (blender), lower base width = 2.77m (blender). Thus remaining width (for wheels) on each side = 0.85m (blender).

Edited by riocrokite

first tests of rover delivery system (failed design / should land vertically)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

some early tests on flat (not yet) crane, notice that thanks to movable counterweight (tank) it doesn't need side stabilisers to operate. 20t weight test:

height test (how high foldable crane can reach):

Edited by riocrokite

looking good... really good...

cheers.

Looking awesome, one of the best upcoming parts packs imho!

cheers, although long way ahead

the crane system is looking awesome! What does it use to pick up the tank in the picutes? a claw module?

just a kas magnet and i used frame fragment as an ending because didn't design proper item :P

1st pass on ramp design, had to resign from Infernal Robotics since it supports only one collider per model (moving one). Also docking ports with IR elements produce weird results so probably will design separators rather than docking ports for frame delivery system (so one-off usage).

and some failed tests:

Personally I don't see much usage for the ramp as vehicle transport since those surfaces are generally too slippery as a vehicle platforms. However, I do see an usage for hollow ramp for moving up and docking modules using just KAS winch (without using any crane system). So something similar to this but with a ramp:

WinchTrucks2.png

Winch-Truck-1.jpg

Edited by riocrokite

All my time is devoted currently to designing a landing frame; during testing I had to change design couple of times due to ksp constraints.

So called 'stork landing frame' will be released as an first addon to MFS since some people might want to just use this without MFS part clutter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been watching this one for a while now, super excited about what I'm seeing!

Have you given any thought into contract integration around this stuff? Once you start hitting phase III stuff I think it'd be very cool to have a series of contracts to help step players through the processing flow. (Obviously I have some interest in the contract area...)

Been watching this one for a while now, super excited about what I'm seeing!

Have you given any thought into contract integration around this stuff? Once you start hitting phase III stuff I think it'd be very cool to have a series of contracts to help step players through the processing flow. (Obviously I have some interest in the contract area...)

Thanks.

I haven't thought about contracts yet. Actually if I make stage III working it will be actually more than I thought since it's quite quite big task:) I'm always open to ideas and collaboration.

Question how did you implement the stability?

modwise or gamewise?

gamewise I think I added 2 struts between each pair or legs and between top/bottom legs and rocket body.

modwise - mainly using one part instead of several (less wobbly) and avoiding using springs for legs

modwise or gamewise?

gamewise I think I added 2 struts between each pair or legs and between top/bottom legs and rocket body.

modwise - mainly using one part instead of several (less wobbly) and avoiding using springs for legs

Sorry I don't understand. one the second picture you have some legs deployed with a strut attached. What kind of strud is that and how did that leg become magically deployed?

Sorry I don't understand. one the second picture you have some legs deployed with a strut attached. What kind of strud is that and how did that leg become magically deployed?

no worries. stock struts. You might be thinking about cylinders that extend legs. In attached images it is early WiP work, so there are just gray beams instead of cylinders. Leg is deployed using stock animation. I hope this answered your question.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK,

I'll be focusing now on building and balancing Mining and Processing Extension mod (MPE) taking top-down approach. In other words I'll build the mod beginning with most basic working concept to more detailed models and behaviour (so I can stop whenever I feel I lack skills/time and the mod will be still usable).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.