How to Linux?

Oafman

Apologies if this thread is in the wrong place. Neither Gameplay Questions nor Support forums seemed quite appropriate.

I'm about to buy a new PC, and would like to try Linux 64bit. Having never used Linux, I'm on a steep learning curve.

Initial research has revealed that there is not just one Linux, but a few different Linuxes (Linae?). Could someone give me a pointer as to which one to go for please.

Once I know that, it appears that I need to get a CD online. Is this correct, and if so, from whom should I get it?

There is then some form of drive partitioning required. Will it take me through this when I install Linux, and will it be a fairly obvious process? My PC will be Windows (probably 8, though I'm trying to get 7 because 8 looks weird).

Grateful for any advice.

Oh boy. I had the very same questions (checks watch) some 15 years ago.

Simple answer: get the Ubuntu installer, follow the instructions.

More complicated: not knowing more about you and your situation, I recommend Ubuntu because it's most likely to be (at least) not wrong for you. Partitioning isn't black magic, but daunting if you're not familiar with the concept. Most distros will guide you through the process in a sensible way.

Depending on your degree of being scared, I'd recommend getting another harddisk for your current (soon obsolete) computer and try it there first. Disk may be old and small. A 1-2GB thumb drive will do in principle, but if you're the kind of person who likes to start over and tries to do it in seven ways, the data rate of these things may become annoying.

Oh boy. I had the very same questions (checks watch) some 15 years ago.

Simple answer: get the Ubuntu installer, follow the instructions.

More complicated: not knowing more about you and your situation, I recommend Ubuntu because it's most likely to be (at least) not wrong for you. Partitioning isn't black magic, but daunting if you're not familiar with the concept. Most distros will guide you through the process in a sensible way.

Depending on your degree of being scared, I'd recommend getting another harddisk for your current (soon obsolete) computer and try it there first. Disk may be old and small. A 1-2GB thumb drive will do in principle, but if you're the kind of person who likes to start over and tries to do it in seven ways, the data rate of these things may become annoying.

Thanks. I'll use that installer. So was the stuff I read about getting a CD somewhat out of date?!

I'm not scared, though that is mainly because I have no understanding of any risks :P. Blissful ignorance. I have an external harddrive I could use for a test, my only concern is that my soon-to-be-obsolete computer is actually my work laptop, so I need to avoid doing anything particularly nasty to it. I've already done something bad to the graphics card from playing KSP!

Risks: If you somehow fail to follow the installation instruction, you may lose the windows partition, so back up everything on your windows install to somewhere outside the computer.

May end up reinstalling windows, but thats just time consuming, not a risk.

I once downloaded 3 distros over a 56k modem....took all month :) I guess I really need to look into trying linux again, been a long time.

I suggest Xubuntu. It's relatively friendly to newcomers, more Windows-like than the main variant of Ubuntu, doesn't demand much from the computer, and being an Ubuntu variant is widely supported.

Linux Mint is also a good option, it's an Ubuntu derivative with some very nice features.

Normally you would download an ISO file and then write it to a blank CD or DVD. If you have a poor internet connection you can buy a disk, that should only cost a few dollars (since you're just paying to have someone else download it and mail you the CD).

The Ubuntu installer makes repartitioning straightforward. I recommend doing a defrag in Windows first, it can help the Ubuntu installer shrink the Windows partition more.

I suggest Xubuntu. It's relatively friendly to newcomers, more Windows-like than the main variant of Ubuntu, doesn't demand much from the computer, and being an Ubuntu variant is widely supported.

That sounds good

Linux Mint is also a good option, it's an Ubuntu derivative with some very nice features.

So does that. I don't mind nice features as long as they're relevant for running KSP (can't see me using this for much else) and they don't add extra complications

Normally you would download an ISO file and then write it to a blank CD or DVD. If you have a poor internet connection you can buy a disk, that should only cost a few dollars (since you're just paying to have someone else download it and mail you the CD).

The Ubuntu installer makes repartitioning straightforward. I recommend doing a defrag in Windows first, it can help the Ubuntu installer shrink the Windows partition more.

My connection is good, so I can download it. This will be a brand new PC, so defrag should not be necessary I guess.

Do I have to decide how much drive to partition to each OS? If so, any recommendations?

Do I have to decide how much drive to partition to each OS? If so, any recommendations?

Yes. If you will only use the linux partition for KSP you don't need much, 10-20GB should do fine.

I would recommend installing windows first if you are going for a dual boot.

What graphics card will you be using? That is usually the tricky part in getting good performance I found.

Personally I discourage you from doin this: you said you don't know the risks, which in turn means that if something goes wrong you are going to have a really really bad time. there is the potential to mess with your pc in very nasty ways that are not easily solved without reinstalling stuff and losing data.

Personally I discourage you from doin this: you said you don't know the risks, which in turn means that if something goes wrong you are going to have a really really bad time. there is the potential to mess with your pc in very nasty ways that are not easily solved without reinstalling stuff and losing data.

I can't lose data as the PC will be new. I suppose I could trash Windows, but I could just reinstall that. I assume there are no significant risks to hardware from a messed up install?

Step 1 of installing Linux is always to back up your Windows disk to hell and back. For pure paranoia, I would recommend having two backups: for me, #1 was the Carbonite service, and #2 was my external hard drive. Step 2 is to wait until you've got time to spare in case things go south. Step 3 is to find a step-by-step guide and follow it to the letter. You may have to deal with things like disabling fast boot, and you really don't want to screw up your system.

Honestly, if this is your work laptop, I would not install Linux until you're more familiar with how it works. It should work, but you don't screw with work equipment unless you have to.

Nah linux will be going on my new personal PC, not work laptop.This is one of the main reasons for the new PC purchase tbh

I will definitely back up and take my time with the whole process.

I suggest Kubuntu, I think it's good all around. Course, for my needs, which basically only include KSP, so...

yeah this sounds like the best option for me

What graphics card will you be using? That is usually the tricky part in getting good performance I found.

Sorry, missed this question initially.

It's looking likely to be a

Nvidia Geforce GTX 750TI 2gb GDDR5, though this is not yet set in stone, as I'm still looking at a few different options.

Is this likely to cause me any problems?

Nvidia Geforce GTX 750TI 2gb GDDR5, though this is not yet set in stone, as I'm still looking at a few different options.

Nah, that's a fine card, but when you install linux initially it won't have the drivers (there are legal and philosophical reasons) and you will be running at some ancient resolution like 1024x768 until you install them. They usually make this easy to do with a "install non-free drivers" option some place, but it is usually an additional step after OS install.

Then again, it's been more than a year or two since I installed a linux, so as others have been saying, follow the current instructions to the letter and you should be fine.

Actually the open source drivers are getting pretty good with Nvidia, you'll see the full resolution of your monitor no problem :)

But it may not be as fast for gaming as you'd get with the proprietary driver which is a shame, but it's worth giving KSP a go even so.

I use an Nvidia GTX 650 and have no real issues :)

Sorry, missed this question initially.

I upgraded to the same card recently. No problems with KSP and it runs great, can turn the graphics settings up without it slowing the game.

This is with the proprietary nVidia driver, which performs just as well on Linux as on Windows and has never given me any trouble. Install this through the software centre or the "Additional Drivers" tool after you have Kubuntu installed, don't download it from nVidia's site because that's more hassle. (The same goes for any program under Linux, install it through the software centre or package manager if possible rather than going to the program's website like you would for Windows.) Do not expect good gaming performance until you do this, the Free Software driver isn't very good.

I don't recommend an AMD card, their proprietary Linux drivers underperform compared to on Windows.

Linux Mint (http://www.linuxmint.com/) is about as friendly as it gets for new users. All the major distros have Live CDs/DVDs now, so yes, you should download the CD/DVD. That way you can play with lots of releases without installing it. You can also use YUMI (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/) to load multiple releases on a USB stick and boot them from there.

I recommend Ubuntu + install Mate Desktop Environment. Mate DE is much lighter and reliable than anything in Ubuntu package (Unity, KDE or XFCE). Just google 'mate de install ubuntu', you'll see how to add ppa (google how to add ppa :)) and install it.

If you need publishing/graphics/ArchiCAD/accounting stuff, forget Linux. If you are/want to be a developer/programmer, go ahead.

Edited by Kulebron

There is another thread running here just recently discussing Linux options and KSP. My suggestion regarding Windows 8, is to go with Win8.1 ... I have the same, and I bypass the fancy smartphone look of its new desktop to the old familiar look and feel of the 'normal' desktop. That should be available to you on your new PC. If it isn't, (I think) you can get 8.1 free from Microsoft.

As for going with Linux, as I mentioned in the other recent thread; There are several Debian based distros out there. Nearly all of them offer an option of downloading (free) a live disk (DVD). Before making a 'permanent' selection and going through all the motions of installation, I would suggest trying some of the live disks ... various desktops and such ... see which works for you and what tickles your fancy. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

So, I got it all up and running.

Not without a few issues, I must confess (I messed up initial partitioning, couldn't boot up PC, stuck in grub rescue, had to recover with Windows CD then manually correct partitioning, took about 4 hours and a bunch of websites/youtube vids. As I said in the OP, a steep learning curve! :P)

Anyway, I'm now a happy Kubuntu user, and it's great. Really easy to use (I always thought Linux involved entering text into command prompt, but of course things have moved on - assuming it ever was that).

KSP is running brilliantly, between 6 to 7 Gb of RAM (I have all the mods!) but no problems at all. It's the game I always wanted it to be, but was constantly frustrated with having to be so picky on mods, and having to put up with such poor performance.

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice and tips. Particularly those of you who suggested backing up Windows files, and who suggested setting a good chunk of time aside in case of 'complications' - I needed it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.