~ awesome aircraft thread ~

segaprophet

The 777 picture reminds me of a snippet that en ex-airline pilot friend of mine sent me yesterday:

Boeing 777 OVERWATER ENGINE FAILURE Suggested sequence of events

1. Crew maintains control of A/C.

2. Crew handles QRC immediate action items correctly.

3. Crew agrees upon enroute diversion alternate (SATCOM- DSP)

4. PF begins off-track maneuver. HDG SEL 90 from track in direction of alternate

5. Crew turns on all external lights.

6. PF begins drift down. Call for MCP alt set to VNAV ENG OUT cruise alt. EO speed or 320/.83 whichever is most reasonable considering terrain.

7. PF ensures MCT, monitors A/C performance, PNF handles comm.

8. PNF declares emergency with mayday on guard, common and/or HF as appropriate

9. PNF gives position, Flight ID, Track, Longitude/Latitude and altitude with all calls.

10. PNF requests clearance to enroute alternate with GP facility or guard relay.

11. Crew recalls pilots on break to cockpit via PA.

12. PNF records FMC position in scratch pad to be entered on plotting chart and to be forwarded to dispatch via MFD "MAYDAY" report or SATCOM link.

13. PNF completes checklist reference items.

14. PNF builds offset 25NM Pacific/30NM Atlantic (Offset execute or LNAV armed optional HDGSEL may be required if ETOPS alternate behind) Cross tracks below FL 290 Pacific/FL285 Atlantic.

15. PNF copies clearance to alternate.

16. Crew proceeds to alternate at 325kts /mach .83 when able at SE altitude.

17. PNF communicates with DD, FA's, SAMC and Pax as required.

18. Crew initiates preparation for ditching and/or evacuation if necessary.

19. Crew prepares estimates for FIRs or diversion airport.

20. Crew plots FMC position every 15 minutes on plotting chart on line drawn from initial diversion point to alternate.

21. Crew reviews ditching procedures if necessary.

22. Crew requests RCC information via DD if necessary.

23. Crew briefs approach, evacuation potential, runway exit plan and crew member assignments as necessary.

Boeing 747 OVERWATER ENGINE FAILURE Suggested sequence of events

1. Select failed engine fuel control switch to OFF

2. Continue to destination for normal approach and landing

3. Call for a fresh cup of coffee.

Another iconic WW2 fighter, my favorite of the Pacific theater. Its huge radial engine and inverted gull wing give it a very distinctive appearance.

The reason for the gull wing was to provide better visibility for ground attacks.

The Consolidated PBY Catalina, I've fancied this plane since my father introduced it to me when I was a kid, and even bought me a plastic model. It's a flying boat, which is awesome, I love the distinct shape, the wings on the pylon, the so-ugly-it's-beautiful nose, the waist gunner blisters, folding floats and the ingenious (and huge) retractable gear. It has a very dieselpunk vibe, now that I think about it, and it wouldn't look too out of place in Crimson Skies, for example. And yet it was not some marginal concept, but a true workhorse of a flying boat.

PBY-5A_VP-61_Aleutians_Mar_1943.jpg

Edited by TheBedla

Love PBYs, I've been lucky enough to see them in flight many times as they were used as water bombers here until about 15 years ago.

The Long-EZ:

1229337.jpg

My favorite civilian light craft. Why fly a Cessna when you can fly a plane that looks like it was made for Batman? Made by Scaled Composites, the same people as the Voyager unrefueled circumnavigation plane, and SpaceShipOne and Two.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

My favorite civilian light craft. Why fly a Cessna when you can fly a plane that looks like it was made for Batman?

I fly into grass strips quite often and the gear on the EZ's will most likely snap off in such a situation.

A-10. most original plane ever built.

I like how it's shaped for the sake of better safety and low speed maneuvrability. But there's even more original one, not so successful though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZL_M-15_Belphegor

It reused Yakovlev Yak-40 jet engine and was intended as a crop duster. In order to spray chemicals, it was reusing air from the engine through pipes rather than heavy and lossy transmissions. Wings were from Antonov An-2, which guaranteed low stall speed and great controllability. Unfortunately, jet operated at such low speeds had excessive fuel consumption, too high even for the subsidized Soviet agriculture.

PZL_M-15_Belphegor_Szolnok-Szandasz%C3%B6l%C3%B6s.jpg

Many say it's ugly. I see why, but don't see why original purpose-made shape is worse than same-looking airliners or fighters.

I fly into grass strips quite often and the gear on the EZ's will most likely snap off in such a situation.

Yeah, it's not for all situations, and its carrying capacity is much less than more conventional light aircraft. My comment was meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek about its appearance, not really meant to slag on Cessnas (they're great planes, so very popular for a reason).

And a pic in every post, so here's the de Havilland Beaver:

1284628.jpg

This bush plane first flew in the late forties and is still in production today (!), it was so instrumental in connecting the Canadian hinterlands that the government commemorated it on a coin in 1999.

Lockheed AH-56 Cheyenne, developed for a canceled assault helicopter program. (some time later, a similar program was won by the AH-64 Apache)

ah-56-photo5.jpg

And Horten Ho-229, German stealth fighter flying wing prototype

8G2P2048.jpg

Not actually a Ho-229, but similar

?format=1000w

Edited by Hachouma

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.