~ awesome aircraft thread ~

segaprophet

1786174.jpg

The cessna 150, the airplane that I have done most of my training in (not shown in pic). Its capable of lazy 8s, an amazing climb rate of 700fpm and if you really need to, loops, and rolls

Bonus engine pic 4e9s8iQ.jpg

Edited by duncan1297

The Sikorsky S-70 family. Each branch of the United State Military has a variant of it, and it is one of the most versatile rotorcraft I have ever seen. It can be adapted for nearly any environment. It has also been in service for more than 20 years. My favorite of the variants has to be the HH-60 Pave Hawk, used by the USAF for CSAR operations.

3zqgeuo.jpg

Long have I been considering making a model of this vehicle, as few of its depictions satisfy me. But I have no model so I present to you, the Albatross, of Robur the Conqueror. This is the first one, which was later replaced with a smaller variant capable of all sorts of nifty things.

d02130bc422baa9f63f13b57b797e23b.jpg

J 20

312619.jpg

It is China's advanced stealth fighter and it basically rivals the F-35.

- - - Updated - - -

P61 Black Widow Night Fighter

http://www.strangemilitary.com/images/content/105224.jpg

Why? ...., bombs, guns. And fun fact, it was the first aircraft ever designed to use radar.

I actually saw that aircraft in a Chinese flight museum and it is NOT fake.

Edited by CelticCossack51
whoops someone already did the Goose!!!

The Consolidated PBY Catalina, I've fancied this plane since my father introduced it to me when I was a kid, and even bought me a plastic model. It's a flying boat, which is awesome, I love the distinct shape, the wings on the pylon, the so-ugly-it's-beautiful nose, the waist gunner blisters, folding floats and the ingenious (and huge) retractable gear. It has a very dieselpunk vibe, now that I think about it, and it wouldn't look too out of place in Crimson Skies, for example. And yet it was not some marginal concept, but a true workhorse of a flying boat.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/PBY-5A_VP-61_Aleutians_Mar_1943.jpg

Damn, you beat me to it. My grandfather was a gunner in one of those during WWII. He was part of a "black cat" squadron. They painted the plane flat back and ran night raids on Japanese shipping.

The Spruce Goose, by Howard Huges. Record holder largest wing span :)

And you guys beat me to the other one. Well, here are some pictures I took of it anyway:

sprucegoose.jpg

And since I couldn't get the entire thing in frame, here are some aircraft that were parked under it:

100_1239.jpg

North American F-100 Super Sabre

100_1269.jpg

Lockheed P-38 Lightning

B17.jpg

North American B-25J Mitchell

f111.jpg

Republic F-105 Thunderchief

f4.jpg

McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II (my uncle flew one of these during the war in Vietnam).

mig.jpg

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15

100_1244.jpg

Grumman OV-1D Mohawk

tail.jpg

And the massive tail.

I like the weird more creative over sized older aircraft. There was so much more adventure back then!

That sounds like I'm trying to say I'm in to older large women from yesteryear. I guess that is an analogy for being into old large planes so... The older, more wooden, and spindly the better!! 8D

Someone already beat me with my favorite civilian airplane, the Concorde, but with so many cool aircrafts here, I cannot believe no one remembered this beauty of engineering, style and badass looks!

The

Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk

F-117_Nighthawk_Front.jpg

I think someone beat me to it, but my favourite civilian aircraft is the An-225 with it's original Soviet paint.

image removed due to a copyright claim. View the original

My favourite helicopter is the WZ-10. Just to note you may think it is copying the Hind, but I compared the two and they are completely different.

PLAAF_Changhe_WZ-10_-_Jordan.jpg

Also I don't think anybody did the B2 Spirit as it is my favourite American bomber. I have a Russian bomber in mind, but I want to give other people a chance.

B-2_Spirit_original.jpg

Edited by KasperVld

Great thread Segaprophet, it stands to reason that people interested in space flight would also be interested in aircraft, so I've stickied this for Feb :)

Sweet! :D

Here's another classic heli, the Sikorsky H-34 -

Sikorsky_S-58_landing_c.jpg

Of course, you might remember the S-58T variant "Screaming Mimi" from the TV show Riptide!

I even had the toy as a kid -

Riptide%20helicopter%20carded.jpg

Man, the 80s were so radicool. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.