~ awesome aircraft thread ~

segaprophet

I've always liked this little plane for some reason: The Heinkel 162 Volksjäger (literally "People's fighter") "Salamander"

He162A-2_eng_05.jpg

I know, guys, I know. This plane was made out of desesperation. They used mostly wood since metal was in short supply, it was simple for slave manufacturing, and since they needed a lot of trained pilots, they kinda sorta used kids to fly them... But the plane itself is awesome!

'Murican P-51 fighters were raiding Germany's airfields and strategic deposits, so they needed new units for the Luftwaffe. The requirements were:

-Less than 2 tons

-Single seat

-Powered by a BMW 003

-Max speed of 750km/h

-Half an hour of fuel

-Takeoff run of less than 500m.

Yeah, I guess you can see it was developed in a hurry, even the competition to design it was called the Emergency Fighter Program.

I would love to fly one of these suckers. I know they were flying coffins and the powered time of 30min won't get you anywhere, but it just looks cool. Even by today's standards, it looks like it could be an active unit for an airforce.

Edited by astropapi1

I've always liked this little plane for some reason: The Heinkel 162 Volksjäger (literally "People's fighter") "Salamander"

Wow that is a funny looking plane (not the funniest by a long shot, though). They didn't even try to hide the engine. It's just slapped on there.

My last post was the Spruce Goose, then that CL-215 Canadair water bomber reminded me of the Grumman Goose, popular around the coastal areas of BC.

932-overwater.jpg?itok=byXAHXS9

Also popular around the wilderness of northern BC, the deHavilland Beaver. I flew in those many times as a kid when I lived in the Queen Charlotte Islands, now known as the Haida Gwaii archipelago

DeHavilland-Beaver-DHC-2-1024x768.jpg

And its big brother, the Otter:

C-FUKN-Northway-Aviation-DHC-3-Otter-2.jpg

Edit: Oh, and congrats on the sticky!

Edit 2: changed the Goose image to one that should show up

Edited by StrandedonEarth

ok... so like the f-108 Rapier is awesome.

the variant that i am thinking of fires nuclear missiles made to take down a whole squadron of bombers coming over the north pole during the cold war. though the design was never flown, and its use never happened, it is insane.

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/ITCF-108RAPIERPAGE.htm

With the first one, I'll join the DC-10/MD-11 club. Not original, but awesome.

KLM_McDonnell_Douglas_MD-11_PH-KCK_Ingrid_Bergman.jpg

And second entry is L-13 Blaník. I recently bought one for roughly 3500€. Mine is a piece of junk right now, but I'm planning to get it airborne this summer.

L13_0931.jpg

Bombardier Challenger 604

ImNxBVX.jpg

It's a great airplane! I have taken this one to England, France, Switzerland, Italy, Hawaii , Argentina, Ecuador, Canada (usually for fuel stops) and all over the US.

Probably my favorite airplane to fly though has to be the King Air B200..

n119mc.jpg~original

Edited by Astronut

Hey, I've never seen an Avro Vulcan before. That's one sweet-lookin bird, and that wing is ginormous. But speaking of early British Jets, how about the Vampire?

Vampire-01.jpg

I've spent lots of time flying Vampires, doing strafing runs, acing dogfights, landing in flames.... Okay, okay, that was all while playing CFS3, but it was still a fun plane to fly. Very easy to rip apart by turning too fast.

A pioneering British fighter jet, the Gloster Meteor.

Let me just add the Electric Canberra, with a similar configuration. The Meteor was pretty neat, but had some fairly experimental engineering. It is hard to beat that flair, though.

8u23625_canberra_350.jpg

1132103-bigthumbnail.jpg

1920px-Canberra_PR9_MOD_45144928.jpg

Sorry if i go off-topic but this is the most bas-ass landing from an airplane i ever saw, almost KSP-ish. The plane is a Dornier Do-28

http://img.planespotters.net/photo/303000/original/N123CA-Private-Dornier-Do-28_PlanespottersNet_303241.jpg

http://vimeo.com/100436195

This pilot is a Darwin award candidate. Please don't try to kill yourselves unless you absolutely have to. If it was WWII, you could as well try piloting this:

Yokosuka_MXY7-K1_Ohka_Trainer_USAF.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.