Do you even Lift mk 01 - STOCK CHALLENGE

Farex

Hello Community,

as I tried today to take the new Gasstation into Orbit, the planned 20 minutes of gameplay were extended to nearly two and a half hours.

i will display the final Lifter (which had even fuel to spare) AFTER one week (this would be the 11. December 2014).

I challenge you - push this Station into Orbit!

The rules:

- No FAR/NEAR

- Only Stock Parts

- You shall not use over 1,000,000 Funds

- Circular Orbit in 100km height

- No MechJeb (seriously, do it yourself!)

- You shall not alter the payload in any way

- No refueling the station! It has dockingports on both ends, please consider to disable crossfeed!

The information:

- ca. 250t payload

- Struts are of course allowed

How to win:

- Get it into Orbit within the rules

- The lesser the funds you use, the better the rating will be

What to win:

The craft file:

Download (Mediafire)

To submit, you must upload your craft file at a filehoster, so me and everyone else can check your lifter.

The participants

- icantmakemodels ; Craftfile pending

- Signo ; Craftfile tested, cost is over the specified amount (on launchpad about 1,022,000)

- astrobond ; Craftfile tested, 615,023 Funds

- zekes ; Craftfile still not tested (will do today)

- Mesklin ; Craftfile still not tested (will do today)

- gm537 , Craftfile still not tested (will do today)

Current leader

---- astrobond ----

QoLvqze.jpg

6dVBePQ.jpg

Greetings!

Edited by Farex
Putting in the participants

First I have to see how this challenge is accepted. If there will be a mk 02, than of course bigger. But that's easy, it's the design that makes it difficult ;) SO, first this one and then I will design something new.

Greetings!

Hi, below my entry.

The lifter is 122 parts, around 940Kv. There is fuel left, usually I lift cargoes that have a kind of resemblance to this like the ship in the second pic. If u need more details on the lifter (very common even if quite big asparagus) just let me know.

PsGS00V.png

Yni99pG.png

EDIT - ehm, I did not ask about the struts, I simply put them, are they allowed? (thanks Astro)

Hi :)

Are struts allowed between lifter and payload ?

Yes, of course. Why not? ;)

@Signo

You sure that the payload is full? It has a Dockingport beneath and the setup on the screenshot shows that you could drain the fuel from the payload.

Could you also please upload your craftfile, so I can fly it into orbit myself?

Edited by Farex

It is full, I double checked.

Below the craft file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/67mkajf8qcerhag/Do%20you%20even%20Lift%20mk%2001%20-%20M.craft?dl=0

EDIT (as usual): flight path - first of all disable the crossfeed of the docking port, take off at 70/75% throttle, increase slightly after discarding each of the first three stages up to 100%. Start your G turn (for a more comfortable ascent) after discarding the third stage, you should be around 10000+m. Go for a "common" G turn until you hit the right Ap. I saved exactly the full center tank (that I think could provide around 1500 extra D/v).

S0BB9qv.png

Actually made it to Mun orbit with the same rocket.

1E0egha.png

Edited by Signo

Alright I have finished the challenge though not fast enough to be the cheapest to succeed. ;)

Here's the ship in the VAB showing a cost of 562,310.

bLgUEH9.png

Here she is in orbit:

HeR1RMH.png

n8FGV9J.png

(Sorry this doesn't highlight Pe... The craft file should confirm that a 100x100km orbit is not difficult to achieve.)

And the craft file: Do YOU even lift?

Edited by gm537

@gm537

@Signo

your Lifter is invalid, it costs over 1 Million to get it on the launchpad.

You said the lifter should be cheaper than 1M, not "less than 1M on the pad". The price goes over 1M due to your payload.

@Signo,

now, don't be mad. I will just take off a few SAS-Units, that should do the trick (if you are ok with it?).

I don't think he is mad the rules are just unclear. I had the same question myself. I have often seen these kinds of challenges not count the payload cost (they only count lifter cost). The OP could use a touch of clarification to help people see this. That's my two cents.

My entry: a classic Temstar-esque asparagus design.

√720612 total (including the 90k+ for the payload), with 5068 m/s of delta-V and 25.2 MN thrust at launch. By my calculations I actually over-engineered the thing; she does 250 tonnes easily but could do in the vicinity of 300 before she hits the 1.2 TWR in the core limit.

I don't think he is mad the rules are just unclear. I had the same question myself. I have often seen these kinds of challenges not count the payload cost (they only count lifter cost). The OP could use a touch of clarification to help people see this. That's my two cents.

That is exactly one of my points. Moreover, since I made my entry the rules were changed several times. I just took out of the garage the first thing I had available to make my entry so it does not mean so much to me to be honest, but it seems to me that the challenge is a little bit "unconsistent" if you think that when I tried was something like "put this in orbit with less than 1M if you dare".

I did it.

[EDIT]Take out some fuel if you want, reaction wheels are not so expensive and you do not want to fly that w/o[/edit]

Edited by Signo

My entry: a classic Temstar-esque asparagus design.

√720612 total (including the 90k+ for the payload), with 5068 m/s of delta-V and 25.2 MN thrust at launch. By my calculations I actually over-engineered the thing; she does 250 tonnes easily but could do in the vicinity of 300 before she hits the 1.2 TWR in the core limit.

I like the design! Yep definitely a bit on the over engineered side (though it seems so far like most of the designs are) but that's the most Kerbal thing to do! I like how you do the deorbit with the last stage, I actually did that too I just didn't show it my post.

• 1 month later...

Greetings!

And hello thanks to everyone that participated!

As I was busy with finding new work, I had to drop this challenge temporarily but now I am back in action!

The winner is astrobond, he gains the prize of reputation!

Unfortunately I can't provide you my lifter, as I did a clean install with 0.90 and deleted all my craftfiles (never do this, always do a backup of your craftfiles! :() - but my lifter was mainly made out of KR-2L in a 8-Radial Setup, 2 Asparagus Stages and a a final booster with 1 KR-2l. The cost was about 750,000 I think.

Thank you for your interest, I will start a new challenge soon, that might be a bit more to your liking :)

@mods: please close this thread, thank you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.