[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

Btw, just something smal I noted: Is the RD 253/275's (1.5kn hypergolic engines in staged combustion) price correct? Only costs ~510 bucks, which is, measured to almost every other engine, absurdly cheap, especially considering it's quite powerfull.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a cheaper (if super toxic) engine, especially to lessen the price explosion around apollo and hydrogen costs. Just rather unexpected. :D

Edited by Temeter

I can imagine! Honestly impressed you even found anything about pricing of some russian rocket engine from the early seventies.^^'

Probably gets even more complex trying to normalize different currencies. Funnily enough, the RD-253 is apparently still used on the core Proton M rockets. Guess that thing was kinda good.

edit: Thinking about it, the price difference might be easily explained with these hypergolic engines being solely used for unmanned rockets.

Edited by Temeter

The only contracts you should have are RP-0's own contracts, the stock satellite contracts (which don't have fine-grained control over duration) and the stock get-science contracts (ditto). We control *all* parameters of our own contracts.

3 hours ago, NathanKell said:

The only contracts you should have are RP-0's own contracts, the stock satellite contracts (which don't have fine-grained control over duration) and the stock get-science contracts (ditto). We control *all* parameters of our own contracts.

Understood.  I don't have any of the ContractConfigurator contract packs, just the base ContractConfigurator "engine".

So here's my situation:

After Mariner 2 successfully drove past Venus I was finally ready to take on Mars.  The Mars 'fly-by' mission started showing up (thank you for that), but it would only give me roughly 2 years before expiring and it still takes my little Kerbals several months to build a simple probe like Mariner 4.  Add the Mars transfer window and time to objective and we would have been *way* past the expiry time, probably declaring bankruptcy before our little probe even arrived!

So I'm guessing from your last comment that somewhere deep in the bowels of RP-0 configs I can tweak my contracts into submission?  Ooops, Apollo 12 just finished their final Lunar deceleration burn and is about to start powering up the LEM, gotta go!!!  :)

Thanks!

@cytosine Those contracts keep reappearing until you accept and fulfil them (they'll reappear even if you fail, let alone if you don't accept them at the time). So worry not, just wait for when you're ready. :)

RP-0 adds two classes of contract: repeatables are like the stock KSP contracts you're used to, they're generated, hang around for a bit, then disappear and a new randomized one is generated. That covers things like repeatable human orbits, or suborbiitals, or sounding rocket contracts, or X-plane contracts.

The second set of contracts are Milestone contracts. They generally can't be declined once accepted, and until you succeed at one (and sometimes until you succeed a number of times, like for Lunar Impactor or Successful Reentry) they'll keep getting generated. First flyby / landing / etc missions fall under this category, as do First Orbit, First Crewed Orbit, etc.

So i'm not supposed to have those stock explore X missions? Assumed so already, but I always had them in RP-0. Strange, guess I gotta reinstall the contract mods again...

16 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Yeah, we don't show fake parts for that. It's in advConstruction (Advanced Construction) I just checked.

Thanks a lot, that'll change my research priorities a bit! Boiloff is a poodle.

Edited by Temeter

4 hours ago, NathanKell said:

No, those contracts should be disabled. Make sure you're on Contract Configurator 1.9.5+ and RP-0 v0.43.

Got all mods up to date recently, contract was still 1.94. Updated, and just removed/reinstalled all mods, and nothing changed (+waiting for time to run out/regenerating contracts).

I'm getting interesting warnings in debug, looks relevant:

[Warning]: ContractConfigurator.ContractDisabler: Couldn't find ContractType 'RecordTrackContract' to disable.

[Warning]: ContractConfigurator.ContractDisabler: Couldn't find ContractType 'SentinelContract' to disable.

[Warning]: ContractConfigurator.ContractDisabler: Couldn't find ContractType 'DMAnomalyContract' to disable.

[Warning]: ContractConfigurator.ContractDisabler: Couldn't find ContractType 'DMAsteroidSurveyContract' to disable.

[Warning]: ContractConfigurator.ContractDisabler: Couldn't find ContractType 'DMMagneticSurveyContract' to disable.

[Warning]: ContractConfigurator.ContractDisabler: Couldn't find ContractType 'DMSurveyContract' to disable.

While we're at it, i've got some weird format issues with the tech tree. Notably the two branches starting with 'advanced rocketry' and 'mature staged combustion' are overlapping each other, also having lots of empty notes. Not really sure how it's supposed to look like, and not really bothering me, but it does look weird?

imgur example pic

Edited by Temeter

21 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@cytosine Those contracts keep reappearing until you accept and fulfil them (they'll reappear even if you fail, let alone if you don't accept them at the time). So worry not, just wait for when you're ready. :)

Ahh, I see it now.  I guess 'patience' is not one of my virtues!  Yeah, I was worried when that non-expiring human fly-by of Mars popped up thinking I missed my probe fly-by.  The budget hounds were about to cancel Mariner 4 and have it shipped to one of the East coast museums.  HA!  Take THAT you bureaucrats, we're going to Mars!!!  :)

Thanks!

@Temeter this is what it should look like. Also, those warnings are normal, in that they just mean we've asked CC to disable some contracts that don't exist (because you don't have the mods installed). Oh, one thing abnormal: you should have Asteroid Day installed, it has an antenna that's fairly critical to early gameplay!

If you do see a stock contract again, let @nightingale know. :)

@cytosine whew! :)

@Temeter - The one thing I'll add is that a while ago I fixed a bug where disabled contracts would get re-enabled incorrectly (this was fixed in Contract Configurator 1.9.3).  However, because that is per-save information, if you started your game on a version older than that, it's possibly they are stil re-enabled.  You can can manually disable them in the Contract Configurator menu off the toolbar in the space centre scene.

5 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@Temeter this is what it should look like. Also, those warnings are normal, in that they just mean we've asked CC to disable some contracts that don't exist (because you don't have the mods installed). Oh, one thing abnormal: you should have Asteroid Day installed, it has an antenna that's fairly critical to early gameplay!

If you do see a stock contract again, let @nightingale know. :)

@cytosine whew! :)

Good to see my issue in the tech tree is basically one or two lines being shifted. Pretty irrelevant minor visual issue then. Thx for reminder about Asteroid Day tho, totally forgot that little mod after so many updates!

Maybe add Asteroid Day to recommended mods? Might help some people, considering you usually make a new install for something groundbreaking like RP-0.

5 hours ago, nightingale said:

@Temeter - The one thing I'll add is that a while ago I fixed a bug where disabled contracts would get re-enabled incorrectly (this was fixed in Contract Configurator 1.9.3).  However, because that is per-save information, if you started your game on a version older than that, it's possibly they are stil re-enabled.  You can can manually disable them in the Contract Configurator menu off the toolbar in the space centre scene.

Thanks, that was my problem! Didn't even remember that menu was there. Also shows exactly which contracts should be disabled by RP-0, quite usefull.

Edited by Temeter

Apollo 12 just landed on the moon, and boy O boy was that some precision driving.  Good job team!

But I just noticed Pete seems to have forgotten to bring a flag?  Our Astronaut Complex is level 2 and says "Pete can place Flags", but yet I don't see an option when I right click him.  Do I need a level 3 complex or did I miss something else?

Thanks!

I've tried out some of Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) through CKAN and I'm pretty impressed.

From what little I've looked at, it does about 90% of what I was aiming for in my own private mod ideas. I haven't looked through it a lot, but so far I've only got a few quibbles:

There's no Jeb/Bob/Etc Kerman at the start. :-(

But I do like how you have simple scientific instruments such as a barometer, thermometer, etc available at game start; unlike stock KSP which locks those away.

EDIT: Sorry for repeating myself. I'm still kind of getting back into the swing of things here. I'll have some more detailed critique once I've had a chance to play RP-0 a bit more.

Edited by MKSheppard