[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

Oh woe! Almost 2 months without an update from a free and voluntary mod hobbyist! Give the guy a break! The new KSP version just came out and it's darn near miraculous any mods at all have been updated for it. v0.20.x has barely been around for a blink. I have a Pong machine from 1974 that still works just fine without any updates.

MapSat is working well enough for me except the maps it generates is using the wrong hilo information and manual edits to that file don't seem to be working.

My second launch of the afternoon yesterday with .21 was a MapSat to the Mun to see the new craters etc., and I get a lot of white and red on the topo. I tried Duna because I think it's been updated too:

Zh4FeeQ.jpg

Oh woe! Almost 2 months without an update from a free and voluntary mod hobbyist! Give the guy a break! The new KSP version just came out and it's darn near miraculous any mods at all have been updated for it. v0.20.x has barely been around for a blink. I have a Pong machine from 1974 that still works just fine without any updates.

Yeah but the pong machine hasn't changed in all that time. The base game here has. Therefor your pong machine is irrelevant to the matter at hand.

Yeah but the pong machine hasn't changed in all that time. The base game here has. Therefor your pong machine is irrelevant to the matter at hand.

I don't see the problem, as ultrasquid said, he's doing this for free, and despite the fact that there have been two KSP update since his last 'official' release, the dev version looks and works fine (although I've yet to try it in .21). A lot of you have a seriously overgrown sense of entitlement.

If you want to continue to complain, why don't you spend a couple hours of your free time during the week and learn some basic coding, that's what I've been doing (well, that and learning Blender, among other things :wink:).

if you feel said dev is not creating/updating a mod fast enough why don't you try your hand at it and see for yourself how time consuming it is! these mods are done for free on someones free time who has another life to tend to outside the kerbal world. above poster has it correct, some of you have an overgrown sense of entitlement but i guess that is the age we currently live in to the detriment of the rest of us!

I just want to be clear, I am not expecting anything out of any mod dev. My posts have entirely been just to express any issues I've experienced with the mod, so that he has them should he return to improve/update the mod. Some of us have expressed an interest in assisting work on the mod by finding what might be causing this issue, but as it has been pointed out, the source code and license has not been made public.

Anyways, this mod is a really awesome addition to the game. I hope Squad takes notice and includes it in vanilla KSP one day. In the meantime, I'll let you know if I see any other issues with the dev build, other than the memory usage issue I've already expressed.

MapSat is working well enough for me except the maps it generates is using the wrong hilo information and manual edits to that file don't seem to be working.

I didn't try it yet in 0.21, but did you try to check the option to regenerate the hilo.dat in the settings?

Also, I'm quite sad that the creator of this mod didn't check in for some time, but I seem to remember one of Innsewerants lasts post being that he/she had to go for a job interview. So please be kind on him/her, I can imagine he/she might be busy with real life now, moving to a new place etc. Please cut Innsewerants some slack. Considering Innsewerants answered quite quickly before that and put all the work into this dev-built, I don't think the mod is abandoned yet. For you, about two months might seem like a lot of time, but it's not a lot of time when you have a lot of life-changing stuff on your hands in real life.

Hey all! I've tried searching through the thread but haven't been able to pick out an answer.. Is there some way to set the anomalies as targets? Or to zoom in on the maps in-game? I'd love to be able to do either of those things, but I can't seem to find a way. Thanks in advance!

Hey all! I've tried searching through the thread but haven't been able to pick out an answer.. Is there some way to set the anomalies as targets? Or to zoom in on the maps in-game? I'd love to be able to do either of those things, but I can't seem to find a way. Thanks in advance!

AFAIK, that's a no on both counts. However, you can hover over the map to get the GPS co-ordinates, then using something like MechJeb you can use the landing autopilot to set a target (I've never used the autopilot to land, just set a target, so I don't know how well that works).

AFAIK, that's a no on both counts. However, you can hover over the map to get the GPS co-ordinates, then using something like MechJeb you can use the landing autopilot to set a target (I've never used the autopilot to land, just set a target, so I don't know how well that works).

Ah! That sucks, but thanks very much for the info! I'll give that a try once I start getting into MechJeb!

My second launch of the afternoon yesterday with .21 was a MapSat to the Mun to see the new craters etc., and I get a lot of white and red on the topo. I tried Duna because I think it's been updated too

Have you tried turning "auto-update hilo.dat" on in the Mapsat settings? Innsewerants specifically added that option so an accurate hilo.dat can be generated when the terrain changes, without needing to update the mod.

I didn't try it yet in 0.21, but did you try to check the option to regenerate the hilo.dat in the settings?
Have you tried turning "auto-update hilo.dat" on in the Mapsat settings? Innsewerants specifically added that option so an accurate hilo.dat can be generated when the terrain changes, without needing to update the mod.

I did have auto-update hilo checked. I deleted the Duna map I attached and started over again and am getting the same results. Manually editing that file too (hilo.dat...it's just a text file and opened up fine in nano) apparently doesn't stick. Maybe I need to disable the auto-update and then edit the file manually? I'm not sure. I'm going to continue to experiment.

Kerbin has problems too, because the oceans are now apparently deeper than they were...

Edit: Nevermind, it seems the dev build doesn't have the tool to generate textures from the CSV data.

Edit2: Maybe if you pulled the raw data up in a spreadsheet program, you could sort it to find the max and min altitudes? Just occured to me...

Edit3: better idea: With 'update hilo.dat' turned on already, I just straight up deleted the hilo.dat file entirely.

Preliminary Results... well, see for yourself.

05DB029F5564BB2E4C980ACBEAF1B5A7A88A7ABC

Edit4: After one full orbit:

20FF295433EDA3F9171FE46AB6696083F8C658AD

Edited by Tiron

Kerbin has problems too, because the oceans are now apparently deeper than they were...

Edit: Nevermind, it seems the dev build doesn't have the tool to generate textures from the CSV data.

Edit2: Maybe if you pulled the raw data up in a spreadsheet program, you could sort it to find the max and min altitudes? Just occured to me...

I would think your CSV data for the planets that have changed is now out of date and needs to be deleted. Same goes for any map files as well. I haven't looked at all the planets closely yet, but as far as I've heard, only Kerbin, Mun and Duna have changed. If you leave in CSV and graphic files for the planets that have changed, it should just start overwriting the data that was there with the current data.

I would think your CSV data for the planets that have changed is now out of date and needs to be deleted. Same goes for any map files as well. I haven't looked at all the planets closely yet, but as far as I've heard, only Kerbin, Mun and Duna have changed. If you leave in CSV and graphic files for the planets that have changed, it should just start overwriting the data that was there with the current data.

You missed my other two edits. And I meant CSV data for the rescans that were all white...

Looks like deleting hilo.dat (make sure update is turned on first, I don't know what'll happen if it's off) and forcing it to regenerate the file entirely fixes it. Or looks to for the Mun anyway. Duna's got a LOT of highlands (like Mars), so I dunno about it.

Whats everyone's opinion on the best resolution setting to scan Kerbin at a 385k polar orbit?

Quality vs time, etc.

Edit: Back in 0.19.1 I did a 14 hour scan of Kerbin at the same orbit and had a BEAUTIFUL map without a single gap but I forget the resolution setting.

Obvious question time, but does this (version 4.0) work with 0.21.1 ?

Yeah but you need to update the hilo.dat for the new maps of a few planets.

Whats everyone's opinion on the best resolution setting to scan Kerbin at a 385k polar orbit?

Quality vs time, etc.

Edit: Back in 0.19.1 I did a 14 hour scan of Kerbin at the same orbit and had a BEAUTIFUL map without a single gap but I forget the resolution setting.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/27999-ISA-Mapsat-Ideal-and-Non-Ideal-Altitudes?p=398249&viewfull=1#post398249

It's not *quite* perfect so you sometimes have to clean it up a bit, but that's pretty good info for the new mapsat. Key thing is even with the zoom on the new map resolution doesn't matter that much...and if you need to clean up some holes, well, you can go into the settings and up the scan resolution at the cost of CPU (it's literally the number of scanlines it uses, so increasing the number increases it rather quickly). It does need to be a bit better than before, because the new maps are higher quality...because you can ZOOM now.

Edited by Tiron

I'm seeing many references to enabling "update hilo.dat" in the last few pages - but I'm sure many other people than just me have no idea where to set that. Anyone able to provide directions for us casual mapsat users who don't know where this settings screen/file/whatever is?

I'm seeing many references to enabling "update hilo.dat" in the last few pages - but I'm sure many other people than just me have no idea where to set that. Anyone able to provide directions for us casual mapsat users who don't know where this settings screen/file/whatever is?

Open the Mapsat window, click on "Kerbalpedia", then "Settings", and check the "Auto-update hilo.dat" box.