[1.0.4]Better Buoyancy v1.4 - obsolete as of 1.0.5; 7/29/15

ferram4

Confirmed that the dev version is working great for me as well, it even gave me splashes back. :)

Nathan, check your logs for logspam, I got hit with spam from this error when I launched a craft on the runway:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at BetterBuoyancy.BBModule.ApplySplashEffect (Double depth, UnityEngine.Rigidbody body) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at BetterBuoyancy.BBModule.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Going to check in a cleaner KSP branchoff.

Edit: Reproduced with just a MK1 pod in pure stock. It didn't spam though, just spat out two. Something bigger, like the stock Albatross for example, will generate the spam.

Edit2: Huh, the size doesn't matter I guess, since the stock ion probe creates the spam.

Edited by smjjames

ferram4, what do you think about making a new release? The fixes you did for reducing bouncyness some time ago where were helpful for me (Linux Ksp64/RO/RP-0), and others could also benefit easier this way.

I am using the v1.3 release in KSP 1.0.4 with no problems.

How is density calculated? I assume that only female kerbals sink because their model and maybe colliders are different. It is a really annoying bug, and IMO one of the first that must be fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, what would be the stock bodyOceanDensity for Kerbin?

Edit: so https://github.com/ferram4/BetterBuoyancy/blob/master/GameData/BetterBuoyancy/BBOceanDensities.cfg says the default density is 1? Is that correct? I feel like a kerbin water density of 1 would let everything sink.

Edited by seanth

@seanth: Even with a setting of 1 t/m^3 things will float. As it turns out, giving the ocean the density of water lets things float. However, since lots of KSP things are over-dense for no apparent reason, Kerbin has things set to 1.5, as you can see from further up the config you linked where the "//Kerbin" comment is.

@Azimech: Out of scope. Other mods can adjust part masses, this will only work with calculating buoyancy based on those masses and part volumes.

@seanth: Even with a setting of 1 t/m^3 things will float. As it turns out, giving the ocean the density of water lets things float. However, since lots of KSP things are over-dense for no apparent reason, Kerbin has things set to 1.5, as you can see from further up the config you linked where the "//Kerbin" comment is.

Nod. Yeah, Kerbal things are dense. Seems like ~4.5x denser than their real-world counterparts. That's why I was curious what the stock density of the ocean might be (i.e. is it around 4.5)

• 2 weeks later...

Great mod, worth a donation to the coffee fund, No more scary irrational instadeath water anymore. Still dangerous, as it should be as real water is not soft to impacts, but not unbelievably so like stock :-)

And I too see kerbal space program as a general engineering/Physics educational game rather than just a Plane and space simulator, So better more realistic ships is a big plus. I love the idea of being able to recover pods by using realistically performing helicopters launching off realistically (in the ball park atleast, hopefully) peforming ships X-)

Would it be too unrealistic to imagine that a crude approximation of water physics could be done by the FAR system by increasing the "Gas viscosity" setting to something that roughly translates the atmospheric properties at kerbin sea level to what water would have?

If so, where abouts would I set it, So I can "Fly" some submarines with hack gravity :sticktongue:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ferram4, I've experienced a weird thing with 1.0.5 buoyancy: a kerbal trying to get close (??!!) to a floating vessel gets thrown up and down more as he swims closer. It feels like a storm. If a kerbal tries to get on the "ladder" of mk1 cockpit that is half in the water he is thrown up high and drowns way down constantly. Like the kerbal has excessive displacement not proportional to his weight. May be, your mod is not as obsolete yet? ;)

On 02.12.2015 16:39:35, Ser said:

ferram4, I've experienced a weird thing with 1.0.5 buoyancy: a kerbal trying to get close (??!!) to a floating vessel gets thrown up and down more as he swims closer. It feels like a storm. If a kerbal tries to get on the "ladder" of mk1 cockpit that is half in the water he is thrown up high and drowns way down constantly. Like the kerbal has excessive displacement not proportional to his weight. May be, your mod is not as obsolete yet? ;)

Yes, I also experienced that bug, that's why I am in this thread.

• 5 months later...
On 12/10/2015 at 0:10 AM, victor tan said:

I'm just not satisfied with the new water physics. My mega HX B9 Ship can float on the first layer, instead of sinking a little for the turboprop to be inside the water.

the hitchhiker always bounces. endlessly. not even just the hitchhiker... lots of stuff does...

Edited by Commissar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.