Forcing DirectX11: 40% memory reduction!

Captain Sierra

Any news related to KSP and directx ? I have tested above sugestions on ver. 1.0.2/32b

My spec. W7 64b. 16GB RAM R9 270 (aka 7850) 2GB. res. 1680x1050 fake full screen , textures resolution: half size .

- stock settings :

unplayable game crashes in few minutes over 3,2 GB RAM

- forceopengl :

pros. :no crashes with good memory usage reduction never reach limits.

cons: no AA , no shadows , graph.card memory usage is low, HUGE FPS hit even with low parts count

- forced3d11 :

pros. : works best, no crashes with best memory reduction. Usage always aroung 2,2GB. It seems this mode is forcing loading textures into GK instead of to RAM. I looked GPU-Z graphs & Task man. on 2nd monitor . GK memory always almost full . No graphics glitches occured nor black textures.

cons.: AA seems working only forced via CAtalyst drivers up to 2x (still bit jaggy).Higher setting nor in game AA setting do nothing. FPS hit of this mode is acceptable. Starting on 180 fall down to 10-15 with parts count increase.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, few days ago I discovered this marvelous trick to reduce the memory usage. It's very useful, and I had no more crashes due to RAM limit, but KSP seems to run not smooth at all, and I have some issue with the text in game, difficult to read.

I have a Nvidia Ge Force GT 640, with the latest driver version. Any suggestion?

Hi, few days ago I discovered this marvelous trick to reduce the memory usage. It's very useful, and I had no more crashes due to RAM limit, but KSP seems to run not smooth at all, and I have some issue with the text in game, difficult to read.

I have a Nvidia Ge Force GT 640, with the latest driver version. Any suggestion?

What was this marvellous trick?

Hey,

When using d3d11 the anti aliasing washes my fonts extremely so its uncomfortable to ty to read it. Almost looks like fxaa.

I have disabled as mode and even fxaa in geforce (have a gtx760) setting. Works fine with d3d9, but d3d11 is just awkward to play with.

Can't disable as in settings as it automatic disables edge highlighting as well.

Can someone help?

(Same problem like nasuchao)

Edited by Speadge

I think this is bogus and based on the Op not knowing how to fully check KSP's memory usage.

OpenGL on Windows consistently uses less memory than the other two modes, when you fully check all of KSP's memory usage and since all memory usage count toward the out of memory crash, it's kind of pointless to report where it said it used 500 MB, when it virtually still used 2-3 GB. (I've had times the GMP memory report mod thought KSP only used 500 MB)

• 4 months later...

I heartily recommend this, only thing I have encountered is squiggly fonts, still very readable. Haven't crashed once in three days. I used to have so many mods that I would crash every time I returned to the space centre. Only allowing me a single launch each session. Making building a space station very tedious. Another awesome thing is that it suddenly made a dormant ENB mod, that had stopped working after 1.0, come back to life. I have nothing but good things to say about this fix so far. Will come back if I encounter anything out of the ordinary.

I think I'll give this a shot. The other day I did a fresh install and re-acquired mods, with a couple extra to what I was using before. 30 mods, though some are the "core" type, foundations for many, and most are new parts (e.g. Near Future set, Kolonization, Pathfinder etc). Currently it's basically unplayable, crashing around the 3.6GB mark very quickly, if I get past the loading and the KSC scene.

I tried turning on scatters to 10%, less "boring" terrain, I think I'll have to turn that off again though. Dropped to Beautiful rendering, haven't dropped Textures from below Full Res yet. I've got the RAM, if anything my card will let me down some (GeForce 740M) but I've been able to play it at decent performance for a long time. Certainly seems the mods are causing the max memory issue. Looking forward to that 64-bit :)

EDIT: So am I right in assuming this pretty much negates the use of some of the in-game settings (like AA for example)? Some things need to be changed through the GPU settings?

If you break the 3.6GB limit *loading* then it won't help: OpenGL & DX11 do the same thing, dump textures out of memory after they've moved them to VRAM; Unity DX9 doesn't do that which is why we do all this in the first place. However they've got to be loaded in the first place. Once you get past texture loading you should claw a nice chunk back for use playing the game itself though.

There's a mod I forget the name of which will give you live memory stats in game ( by monitoring the garbage collector iirc ), that is awfully useful if it's still being updated.

• 1 month later...

I want to report to add to the general information out there about this. I tried this a long time ago, never worked for me, bad artifacting if I remember. I got a new video card about a year ago, an R9 270, and only tried it again the other day. It works great for me now. It cleared up the artifacts in Scatterer and has AA, good frame rate, etc. My RO/RSS is under 2GB with 4k textures, no ATM, and full res texture setting in options. (No RVE though.)

One problem though, the memory usage "pulses" during load/unload and it will crash at those points if I have too many parts in the install. It's kinda sad because I can just lump in all of Raider Nick's stuff without pruning on top of everything else and it's still under 2GB until a scene change.

Edited by JohnF

• 1 month later...

I have tried -force-d3d11 and experienced stutter and almost unreadable text in 100% of both stock and modded games. Every Unity game I have played has it's issues. No exceptions from my experience.

On 12/14/2015 at 8:53 AM, qromodynmc said:

When i try dx11, it stutters badly, i cant play it. Then i tried doing dx12 :P it's working perfectly but i dont even thing it works at dx12, and never tested memory usage.

Unity4 does not support DirectX 12. KSP should default to DirectX 9 which is why you experience it working perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

R9 380 XFX 4GB, AMD FX 8200 3.6GHz, 8GB GDDR3 1566MHz

DirectX 9 works like a charm (3.2GB RAM-usage at KSC)

DirectX 11 has some minor problems with shadows, but reduced the RAM-usage to 1.7GB at KSC (also didn't notice any FPS drops)

OpenGL PURE HORROR glitches everywhere and the RAM is at 2.4GB

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

Gonna try this with my RO install, which has been leaking memory like crazy the past few days.

u play till u crash, one way or another :(

but it is too fun to stop :D

Edited by Temeter

• 1 month later...

For anyone who is trying to force DX11 on 1.1.x you have to use:

-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded

It works like a charm for me and i also noticed significant load drop on my i5 3570K.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2016 at 10:52 AM, sebi.zzr said:

For anyone who is trying to force DX11 on 1.1.x you have to use:

-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded

This doesn't work for me; the game loads but when I close it and check KSP.log it shows that it loaded DX9 instead. If I run it with just -force-d3d11 the game crashes before the loading screen appears.

I'm not to worried about it, DX9 looks good and works fine but I was hoping to compare it to DX11.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.