An amusing news in relation to KSP

jiangtiandao

I saw a news "Australian man Robert Brand and his 12 year old son Jason will be recorded in history, as the inventor of a small spacecraft can escape the earth's atmosphere and land."

but just see the pictures given to show the concept of that spacecraft

114967979.jpg

Umm its wings is from B9 Aerospace

tail fin is from stock.

They are kerbals:cool:

For detail:

http://wotzup.com/2014/10/project-thunderstruck-launched/

Sounds like an awesome project! I'm a bit surprised it's not expected to be cheaper, though I guess building a large model glider isn't going to be peanuts.

Also looks like Jason plays KSP :) . I hope he'll have something better to design with though. I wonder if X-Plane might be good for simulated flights, it's supposed to be just about the most accurate commercial flight sim.

The fact that he didn't mentioned it was made in KSP (which I don't think it was. Where the other parts come from?), shows how reputable the game is out there. Which is not a surprise at all. I don't think any company would take your design seriously if you tested your prototypes in an obscure game featuring green man with botched physics and no way to do finite model analisis. Plus there is free software CAD tools that can offer those functions already and most CAD packages can render better quality pictures as well.

Amusing.

Jason’s CAD picture of ThunderStruck above the earth

Yeah, that's clearly Kerbin, and clearly Kerbal parts. The bit on the front looks like a stock girder.

Anyone identified the nosecone and fuselage?

But hey, people from my home town doing something with space. No reason I can't get behind this.

Amusing.

Yeah, that's clearly Kerbin, and clearly Kerbal parts. The bit on the front looks like a stock girder.

Anyone identified the nosecone and fuselage?

But hey, people from my home town doing something with space. No reason I can't get behind this.

Right, because no other planet in existence has those elevations, right?

IMO, the parts are just similar and people are trying too hard to associate it to KSP just because.

IMO, the parts are just similar and people are trying too hard to associate it to KSP just because.

That is literally an I-beam on the nose. It is ksp.

It's clearly KSP parts and the general look is the same as KSP.

But the clincher is the stars. The view is looking pretty much at the north celestial pole, compare the picture above with the stars in the circle (the Mun's orbit) here, it's an exact match, just the picture has like quarter-res textures or something.

16254433625_a7fd01ed17_o.png

Until some empirical proof arises, I'll still go by the 'it just looks similar' opinion.

REALLY? Here's a zoomed in snip of the M-Beam 200 I-Beam Pocket Edition on the nose. Are you convinced yet?

ddGKCJu.png

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/File:M-Beam_200_I-Beam_Pocket_Edition.png

Oh, and do you see the RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit on it as well? http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/File:Probestack.png

Until some empirical proof arises, I'll still go by the 'it just looks similar' opinion.
Well let's present the hypotheses:

A) A clever 12-year-old made an aircraft concept using the same part models and textures as KSP, the same skybox as KSP, the same terrain textures as KSP, and the same atmosphere visuals as KSP, but all in a different program.

B) A clever 12-year-old made an aircraft concept in KSP.

I'll go for the simpler explanation myself.

Its apparently a "CAD picture" from the source press release a few months ago - http://projectthunderstruck.org/press-release-2/

Well, CAD stands for "Computer Aided Design".

In KSP, you are designing things. It's on a computer. It's (in theory) aiding you.. sooo... ;)

(Not the traditional definition in terms of like say, AutoCAD, but hey.. close enough)

The skybox is KSP, the ground is too green, the girder on the front, it's KSP all right.

If this guy in Nebraska is telling the truth KSP will be awkwardly irrelevant in a few years .

http://swdllc.paresspacewarpresearch.org/

At least Squad's website tends to include correct spelling (and proofreading to eliminate line- and page- breaks) as well as understandable grammar. Of course, what patent pending warp drive site would be complete without a link to the Bermuda Triangle? But why wait, when a modder can make the proper warp nacelles for KSP now?

Edited by Dispatcher
Had to improve the grammar! Hehe.

If this guy in Nebraska is telling the truth KSP will be awkwardly irrelevant in a few years .

http://swdllc.paresspacewarpresearch.org/

I love how they already have a designated test pilot..

"If this somehow works, you're going to fly this thing!"

Anyways, more on-topic, I really think that's a screenshot of KSP, to be honest. The I-beam is the same, kerbin is visible, skybox, parts, etc. etc. Whether or not they were trying to imply it was used as THE testing software used, however, I have no idea. It could have just been filler. :D

Edited by Norpo
"used"

Well, CAD stands for "Computer Aided Design".

In KSP, you are designing things. It's on a computer. It's (in theory) aiding you.. sooo... ;)

(Not the traditional definition in terms of like say, AutoCAD, but hey.. close enough)

Having used AutoCAD I'd suggest KSP does more aiding of design on a computer.

If someone gets injured then the debate as to whether its its ksp or not will go to the lawyers.

Don't wish to drash on the party, but seriously, people need to keep there heads on straight when they make claims and use copyright materials to promote stunts in real life.

That said, I support individual efforts to achieve orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.