The Stock Propeller / Rotor DEVELOPMENT Thread

So I'm seeing a lot of designs around the KSP Forums, so I've made a thread so that we can share all our designs, thoughts and knowledge here ;)

Starting off with a propeller torque test.

The further the Reaction wheel is from the axis, the higher the rotational speed.

Sgt_Flyers bearing has reached it's limits.

There's too much vibration and friction which makes rotating at high RPM very difficult,

looking into a new smoother bearing design.

Ailerons also did nothing to increase RPM due to very low speed...

anddd I accidentally turned my Propeller into a Rotor :P

Sgt_Flyers's bearing had no problem, the problem was actually not having enough reaction wheels to go high RPM.

After a few speed records, the prop enging hitting it's limits due to Turbine effect.

Now the Challenge lies in making a blade that does not get effected by the turbine effect...

Edited by Jetenginestar

I haven't played around much with this in a while. But I had some success with it about a year ago.

This is the design evolution of an electric helicopter... which was mostly bearing design:

And here's a paddle boat:

The actual bearings were relatively easy, but applying power with wheels was tricky.

• 5 weeks later...

compactrotorbearing_zpsa137cbd3.jpg

Compact Rotary Bearing.

This is the best little bearing I've been able to come up with. It's not the smoothest running, but it can handle some pretty strong forces. For example, having a 4 blade rotor attached to it, being spun by 4 basic jet engines, at high RPM. It is difficult to get the axle to separate completely under "normal" use. It also has a fairly low part count considering how much reinforcing I've done to it. The command pod MK1 is there for reference.

Part count: 57

Weight: 4.1 tons

It works fine as both a lifting rotor bearing and as a propeller bearing. I have done some testing using it as a turbine bearing and the results are promising.

I've also been working on a coaxial bearing, it works most of the time... But not really as a flyable bearing... I keep getting strange collision box problems between the landing gear on the inner and outer bearing sets. If I can solve that issue, and strengthen the whole thing a bit, I'll have the core for a functioning Coaxial Rotorcraft.

Part count: 143

weight: 11.4 tons

testcoaxialbearing_zps044e0790.jpg

Well... Click on my sig. for mine :)

I have a new one I have been working on however. It is very compact and reliable. Uses jet and electric propulsion to spin.

tFjyc2I.jpg

Read More Here or even download it yourself: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/110624-Stock-Helicopter-Motor-Jon-s-Rotor-Factory-Turbo-Electric-Model-1

Also... Rotors are not limited to only powering helicopters.

See my mountain climbing mega truck in action:

Read more again or even get it yourself: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/109311-Jon-s-Mega-Truck-Mountain-Climber

Ive also used my rotor technology to make naval turrets

x0LAgEp.jpg

BHqLtVv.jpg

Edited by Jon144

Also... Rotors are not limited to only powering helicopters.

You mean like this?

bigwheeler1_zps1cf9e2ab.jpg

Uses ADV SAS x3 modules with the medium truss pieces for each wheel. The bearings are the compact rotor bearing I submitted earlier with no modifications. And it has a top speed of 10.1 on flat ground. And yes, that IS with a tailwind. :P Climbs like a... beached whale... But it's silly enough to post and the bearings hold up with no trouble. Can't say the same for the rest of it...

I've built a version of this that is a nuclear turbine - it spins blades that develop lift, and thus thrust. It's a bit less part efficient because in order to create thrust you have to spin the big blades, and so it has to roll around inside a Mk3 hangar bay. I've tried condensing it but it just doesn't work. My best is about 350 parts but it produces a good 150kN of thrust (about 1 basic jet at sea level). I've put two of them in my Reed V Steath Destroyer (not pictured) and one in the Icebreaker, which can acheive almost 20 m/s on water. It's free power so it has infinite range - something vital in naval ships.

1EDwGW9.jpg?1

• 4 years later...

Guys I've been working on some low tech (very low tech) propellor aircraft recently, I managed to break the speed record of my friend and raise it to 240 m/s but I got one problem. is there any better bearing then the stayputnick-fairing thingy? (I don't have wheels yet)

https://imgur.com/a/dfzK2yw I made lots of changes recently but couldn't be bothered to update my imgur album, also the bearings I used in those engines were RCSballs- 2hot thermometers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.