[1.4.*] [2.5.3] (2018-04-06) UbioZur Welding Ltd. Continued

girka2k

One possible solution for people who really want to build big and don't mind  doing a lot work for it, is to have 2 KSP installs one they play on and one of older version like 1.4-1.5 just for .mu files.  Any time a part flickers after welding you could try and copy .mu file for the base parts from older version before it had variants inside the .mu. This is not a plug and play solution but it could work.  I only tested this method with Rockomax X200-32 and no other parts yet, but it seems to work.  Done very little testing so far though.

Alternatively its possible to edit .mu files with blender and remove variants from there for broken parts. 

9 hours ago, Lisias said:

Now I understand. Yep, you found a serious incompatibility - UbioWeld cannot be used on KSP 1.11.x... :( 

Sorry to bother you again.

I was trying to weld some parts from KSP Interstellar extended mod, specifically their fuel tanks and noticed that resulting config had a WeldedMeshSwitch module,  I tried similar set up for welded engines to test if it can stop cowlings and some parts of them from showing up and it worked.

This was the format.    

MODULE
    {
        name = WeldedMeshSwitch
        objectIndicies = 4; 8
        objects = COL1,Engine,Mount1; COL1,Engine,Mount1
        advancedDebug = 3
        destroyUnusedParts = True
    }

Basically object indices is the index of the model in the file counting from 0 and objects are the meshes loaded from .mu file by name for each object specified in indices. This  could be a way to make welding work with current KSP version but it would be a lot of work most likely. 

• 1 month later...

Yeah I love this mod but sadly, it can't work in 1.11.x anymore unless someone upgrades it

On 4/26/2021 at 8:57 PM, Lisias said:

I just  gave this a run on 1.11.2, and...  Well, it worked for me. I must have a typo on the XML file or something.

This is how it must look on the file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ModuleAttributeLists xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="KSP-Forum">
  <Vector2CurveModules>
    <!-- Yada yada yada -->
  </Vector2CurveModules>
  <Vector4CurveModules>
    <!-- Yada yada yada -->
  </Vector4CurveModules>
  <SubModules>
    <!-- Yada yada yada -->
  </SubModules>
  <ModulesToIgnore>
    <!-- Yada yada yada -->
    <ModuleAttribute AttributeName="WeldedFlagDecal" />
    <ModuleAttribute AttributeName="ModulePartVariants" />  <!-- ------ HERE!! THIS LINE!!! -->
  </ModulesToIgnore>
  <!-- Yada yada yada -->
</ModuleAttributeLists>

Check if the line emphasised above is inside a <ModulesToIgnore> block, check if it's correctly terminated, or if there's any other problem on it.

Also keep in mind that this stunt just squash all the parts to the default variant, ignoring any current settings on the time of the welding.

Should i add 

<ModuleAttribute AttributeName="ModulePartVariants" />

to get my 1.11.2 worked? 

Thanks 

On 4/27/2021 at 1:44 AM, Nether said:

One possible solution

I've had no problem getting UbioZur Welding to work with my 1.11.2 install though. With the KSP-packaged ModuleManager. Unfortunately I can't quite remember what I did. I think I installed Welding from CKAN first, then downloaded the latest release from GitHub and copied the files over the CKAN-managed locations - so *not* in the locations the GitHub README would have you put them. Anyway, whatever I did, I'm happily welding in 1.11.2. Although it doesn't do much for my framerates. Still having a horrible time docking to my stations.

14 hours ago, Hoozemans said:

I've had no problem getting UbioZur Welding to work with my 1.11.2 install though. With the KSP-packaged ModuleManager. Unfortunately I can't quite remember what I did. I think I installed Welding from CKAN first, then downloaded the latest release from GitHub and copied the files over the CKAN-managed locations - so *not* in the locations the GitHub README would have you put them. Anyway, whatever I did, I'm happily welding in 1.11.2. Although it doesn't do much for my framerates. Still having a horrible time docking to my stations.

unless you use auto-dock using mechjeb 2 ...

Does it improve the FPS after using welding? you say it doesn't do much at all..

it doesn't work for when i use manual install...

Edited by kennyc222

• 3 months later...
19 minutes ago, ElonsMusk said:

Does this still have a manager? Obviously we're all waiting patiently for .3 updates and news of dev ending for KSP1, just curious if there are any plans to update this for end-state KSP. It would be rad to have this as a staple plugin once again.

From someone that know the code, the problem is - frankly - lack of time to keep track of every change, every glitch, every workaround to avoid breaking things (and I will not even mention the need to do some non exactly Forum approved practices to really understand what you are doing, what recent happenings suggests is not exactly advisable - and the licensing terms of this work doesn't help on the issue neither).

Handling all that is not fun - hardly something that someone would do for free on his/her leisure time -a pretty scarce luxury nowadays for some people (usually the ones that would be best qualified to handle these problems).

8 hours ago, Lisias said:

From someone that know the code, the problem is [...] Handling all that is not fun[...]

Roger that, Lisias. I'm merely curious, is all. Heck I loved this so much I may learn how to do it myself dagnabbit--once ksp is end state that is. Back into the wings to await .3. Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all!
Well, mod like this could save my life for build i make.
So if i understand, this mod work in ksp 1.10 with the modified MM and KSPapie provided by you @Lisias . But i did not work for variants.

Issue on variant is just for KSP stock variant system or B9PS system or both ?

Also .. i've some c# knowledges and a little time .. so if i could help, i can try i someone can explain me bascis of ksp c# modding.

And last question : what's this licencing system for ksp mods, it seems more constrainaing than useful for mod editors isn't it?

Regards,

53 minutes ago, Uohcnam said:

Hi all!
Well, mod like this could save my life for build i make.
So if i understand, this mod work in ksp 1.10 with the modified MM and KSPapie provided by you @Lisias . But i did not work for variants.

Issue on variant is just for KSP stock variant system or B9PS system or both ?

Both. I don't remember code for B9PS on the time I gave this a try.

Also .. i've some c# knowledges and a little time .. so if i could help, i can try i someone can explain me bascis of ksp c# modding.

You are going to have a hell of a crash test course, my friend! :)

You will need to understand how Modules works too, because you will need to know how to "merge" them - you will sum the module's values, or you will keep two modules, each one with its own values? (See how multi-mode engines work!).

I'm pretty used to these situations due my tenure on TweakScale, and I can tell you that the mess can be a bit daunting at first - but it's manageable once you get a grasp on the thing - and welding is not a runtime flyingtime action, and this make things extremely easier. ;)

And last question : what's this licencing system for ksp mods, it seems more constrainaing than useful for mod editors isn't it?

From the many reasons for not taking over this, this one is the biggest. I'm a professional, and under the U.S.A law, doing pro-bono work is also a commercial activity (as you are promoting yourself, and promotion is a commercial activity). This is not a problem on my country, but Forum is under USA legislation and, so, I need to follow these rules while publishing things here.

And there's nothing it can be realisitically done except by starting over from scratch, as it's absolutely unfeasible that we could reach every single committer  on UbioWeld and ask him for relicensing the work (not to mention people that helped in other ways, as testing and documenting and bug reporting).

Starting from scratch while trying to avoid doing things the same way (to prevent copyrights strike downs) ended up being too much of a problem for me at that time, as I already had my hands full with TweakScale (and I still have - I didn't finished everything I want to do on it yet. :) )

Edited by Lisias
better phrasing

Thanks for your reply! :)

16 hours ago, Lisias said:

You are going to have a hell of a crash test course, my friend! :)

You will need to understand how Modules works too, because you will need to know how to "merge" them - you will sum the module's values, or you will keep two modules, each one with its own values? (See how multi-mode engines work!).

I'm pretty used to these situations due my tenure on TweakScale, and I can tell you that the mess can be a bit daunting at first - but it's manageable once you get a grasp on the thing - and welding is not a runtime flyingtime action, and this make things extremely easier. ;)

Yes, i think this will be a pain !! :D but it doesn't matter! I could learn gradually how all of this mecanic work.
Have you a way of proceeding to learn about module on Ksp ? Per haps on learning parts files ? Then lear about MM work too and finally look into welding mod?

Tweak scale is gorgeous. That's a wonderful mod, keep it up and keep focused on your road map ! :D

4 hours ago, Uohcnam said:

Have you a way of proceeding to learn about module on Ksp ? Per haps on learning parts files ? Then lear about MM work too and finally look into welding mod?

This is one way. Another is having to scale them. :D

I have a personal mantra: do not automate what you don't master doing by hand. UbioWeld is, essentially, an automator: there's nothing on it that you can't feasibly do by hand (it's a part generator, in essence).

Create a part merging two wing panels. Then merge two fuel tanks. Then merge a fuel tank and two wing panels in symmetry, and so goes on. NotePad++ to the rescue. :)

Essentially what you need to type to make thins work is what the tool will need to write too.

6 hours ago, Demcrew said:

Just a quick word to encourage you in this challenge.

Ahah thanks, i'll need some encouragement ^^'

3 hours ago, Lisias said:

I have a personal mantra: do not automate what you don't master doing by hand. UbioWeld is, essentially, an automator: there's nothing on it that you can't feasibly do by hand (it's a part generator, in essence).

Create a part merging two wing panels. Then merge two fuel tanks. Then merge a fuel tank and two wing panels in symmetry, and so goes on. NotePad++ to the rescue. :)

Essentially what you need to type to make thins work is what the tool will need to write too.

I like your mentra !
I wasn't know all could be achieve by hand. So i'll proceed step by step !
Then basicly, i've juste to write some part module with properties of two differents parts.

Notepad is already installed for many years now ! :D

10 hours ago, Lisias said:

Do you know of any idiot proof tutorials on that subject?

2 hours ago, LordMacragge said:

Do you know of any idiot proof tutorials on that subject?

Nope, sorry.

I think that the best way to check it is to build a 1.7.3 (or even 1.4.5, these two are the KSP versions I used the most), install the Welding tool and then weld things and see how the new config files were generated.

Some attributes are pretty intuitive (mass, resources, etc). But others, not that much - as calculating the new CoM.

Well, i achieve the first step : merge two models in one part ! 

https://imgur.com/a/MBhbdmK

i've just made a small cfg ... 

PART
{
	name = UohTest
	module = Part
	author = Uohcnam
	MODEL
	{
		model = Uohcnam/Parts/Structural/UohTest/model1

}
	MODEL
	{
		model = Uohcnam/Parts/Structural/UohTest/model2
		offset = 50,50,50
	}
	category = Structural
	subcategory = 0
	title = Uohcnam Test Part
	manufacturer = UohCorp
	description = Rien
	mass = 0.001
	node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.1287344, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
	node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.1287344, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
	attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
	tags = test
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCargoPart
		packedVolume = 90
	}
}

well ... offset property not work, i've to look how move model!

11 hours ago, Lisias said:

Nope, sorry.

I think that the best way to check it is to build a 1.7.3 (or even 1.4.5, these two are the KSP versions I used the most), install the Welding tool and then weld things and see how the new config files were generated.

Some attributes are pretty intuitive (mass, resources, etc). But others, not that much - as calculating the new CoM.

Never thought of doing it that way, ill give it a try thanks.

Yep, Step by Step... oh baby ... lol, that reminds me teen time...

Anyway, what you've shown is very promising.

I think as a start, not all the parts should be addressed, in order to keep a cruise speed on your development and save you from headache and your faith to the project, you may add a filter on parts which are elligible to be welded.

This is crucial for troubleshooting afterwards when you'll submit the beta for testing... 

Once you're very confortable with this, and really own the code from A to Z, then you can crack on and open the gates to all (possible) parts.

This is just a suggestion, up to you of course to follow it :)

Keep up!

Edited by Demcrew

Weekend is ending and i'm back home.
I found properties to set position and rotation of differents mesh.

So here is a screenshot : https://imgur.com/a/J7nkYYQ

Now : next step, add modules like batteriers of tanks.

On 10/1/2021 at 11:43 PM, Demcrew said:

Yep, Step by Step... oh baby ... lol, that reminds me teen time...

Anyway, what you've shown is very promising.

I think as a start, not all the parts should be addressed, in order to keep a cruise speed on your development and save you from headache and your faith to the project, you may add a filter on parts which are elligible to be welded.

This is crucial for troubleshooting afterwards when you'll submit the beta for testing... 

Once you're very confortable with this, and really own the code from A to Z, then you can crack on and open the gates to all (possible) parts.

This is just a suggestion, up to you of course to follow it :)

Keep up!

For now i just achieve that by hand. I wrote my own cfg files to understand hows part module work in KSP. No c# now then. When i'll understand whole of part module with MM and differents mods i'll be able to start an automatisation with c# code and a reel ksp mod ! :)

• 1 month later...

So? You wanna weld something? You wanna make your B9PartSwitch module enabled on that parts? You wanna feel good?

Here's the guide.

First of all make sure that B9PartSwitch module is existing [and working] on your welding parts. Yep, that's important.

Then make sure, to copy right ones from your donor part .cfgs.

After, add copied code to your welded part .cfg. Watch for "{" and "}"! Also, you could manage it with MM. If you want.

Be careful to change node-names (like "node = top02" and "node = bottom02" [in NearFutureConstruction ones] to "node = top02truss-spinal-033" and ""node = bottom02truss-spinal-033" in my case. But be sure, that changed node must belong to the right part!) and "moduleID = meshSwitch" to "moduleID = meshSwitchХХХ". All of them must be different (if you have 7 modules, you gonna have "meshSwitch7" in the end, if 10 -- than "meshSwitch10", etc). Otherwise you gonna get some nasty notifications (at least I had).

Then debug your part if necessary. But beware -- [after welding] you can't change "meshSwitches" for part [in your new one] individualy. Same parts will switch simultaneously. That is the way.

Voila! New part is yours now! :)

P. S. I'm UbioWielding in KSP 1.8.1

P. P. S. You don't need to install "Wielding" to you "game KSP-folder". They [welded parts] will work without it, just copy folder with .cfg (or .cfg only, if you want) and be sure, that you have the same addons, that your new part requires.

P. P. P. S. Proof gallery! link -- https://imgur.com/a/1MCEKSA