[1.3.0] Mobile Frame System [MFS] (v0.3.3) [29.05.2017]

riocrokite

Since stock wheels are too cumbersome for tranportation (especially that they are too broad I'm working on a TR-2L alternative that deflates tyre decreasing it's radius twice. Therefore it doesn't stick out of MFS frame:

TOccDgd.png

Edited by riocrokite

For now I've got standard wheels to work. Meant to be replacement for TR-2L for heavy loads. They are heavier and use much more EC however are much more durable than stock wheels. They are designed to withstand about 12.5t on each wheel on the Mun so about 50t for 4 wheels and 100t for 8 wheels. Pic below = 190t :P

tPz2TS3.png

Woo! I'm Really Excited for the update :D
This is quickly becoming my fav part pack :-)

Love the work, keep it up.

cheers,

I'll wait with wheels rigging till 1.1. Until then will work on bigger version as well. Note that those will be industrial grade wheels. So durability and spring stiffness will be adjusted for weight of 12/25t per wheel on the mun:)

xXOy4AO.png

Oh i like the look of those...

I was toying around with a megarover a ways back, but i had some trouble finding suspension that wouldn't turn to jelly as soon as i hit the equivalent of an extrakerbestrial (word?!) anthill.

thx,

Two designs later I'm quite happy with a big wheel deflation system that hides it almost completely under frame. In effect takes about 2.5x less space:

FpAJxoH.png

This will be highspeed super high durability wheel to move heaviest cargos. This way you player can save on wheel count thus improving performance.

VGVGXq9.png

'pipe test' under extreme load - high torque for very low speed helps moving through obstacles even with very long vehicles without breaking wheels :)

kyxwcHQ.png

Edited by riocrokite

aand why not trying even bigger wheel that will have even higher space saving ratio (about 3.8x less space so 6m3 instead of 23m3 compared to less than 3x for smaller wheels). The reason I'm doing all that is to reuse textures between wheels to save ram and improve performance:

UJjCIS0.png

So there would be 3 wheel sizes with largest being a bit smaller than Kerbal Foundries big wheel and the smallest being in the ballpark of TR-2L :)

Edited by riocrokite
grammar

cheers,

early phases of biggest wheel design, it will take most time since it has most complicated suspension/deployment system :P

FE6ll1b.jpg

update; just for fun tried to reach highest peak nearby KSC; due to low-speed reductor like drive I was able to climb 50 degree inclinations no problem. Going back was slightly more problematic however with proper technique (going backwards with brake on) it can be done too :P

ZGS8UKK.jpg

Edited by riocrokite

• 3 weeks later...

redoing cabins; added shutters for radiation/debris/heat protection.

long cabin, habitat; when shutters are close the old-fashioned 270 degree vision scope (similar to soyuz one) extends:

Ao3CmwY.png

short cabin, 4 power modules, habitat:

A6nl9zs.png

cabin and stowed habitat will be very low-profile to fit them better inside stork landers. both will have solar panels on the roof.

Edited by riocrokite

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='MeCripp']When we get to play around with some of this ? :)[/QUOTE]

That's a good question, the development has ground to a halt lately because of a few reasons; scrapping some parts designs like cabin above, remodelling all new stork parts to better accomodate frames, having problems with foldable wheels and separate parts folder etc. and last but not least playing actual KSP. So I would say that the development is creeping very slowly at the moment :/

• 3 weeks later...

Those pictures are just amazing!

Glad to hear that playing KSP is keeping you distracted from working on this! But can't help but drool over future expeditions using this stuff!

For now, is the released version for 1.0.2 worth trying in 1.0.5 or should we wait for all that new awesome stuff?

On 12/5/2015, 9:58:57, Black-Talon said:

Those pictures are just amazing!

Glad to hear that playing KSP is keeping you distracted from working on this! But can't help but drool over future expeditions using this stuff!

For now, is the released version for 1.0.2 worth trying in 1.0.5 or should we wait for all that new awesome stuff?

thx, currently i'm thinking about basis mod for my isru operations since I don't like how stock isru works (too easy;)) Then I'll need to finish stork lander systems so you have convenient way to transport those rovers to surfaces. I guess that cabins will be last in queue since I want different types of them that have different shielding from radiation (and we currently don't have radiation mod that works in the background nor it's easy to write one ;))

• 1 month later...
On ‎16‎-‎11‎-‎2015 at 0:42 PM, riocrokite said:

That's a good question, the development has ground to a halt lately because of a few reasons; scrapping some parts designs like cabin above, remodelling all new stork parts to better accomodate frames, having problems with foldable wheels and separate parts folder etc. and last but not least playing actual KSP. So I would say that the development is creeping very slowly at the moment :/

Darnit! I can't wait to get these amazing new parts! ;.;

On ‎13‎-‎10‎-‎2015 at 3:17 PM, riocrokite said:

animation for biggest wheel works in editor however getting it to work right in flight would require custom plugin.

@riocrokite I know that Angel-125 has a custom plugin for changing the wheel basis of the wheels in his Buffalo MSEV mod, maybe you could use that?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/profile/106975-angel-125/

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/122617-105-buffalo-nasa-inspired-msev-fly-like-jetman-yves-rossy-with-the-jetwing/

15 hours ago, jojojona said:

yah, the difference being I wanted to animate wheel size (inflation/deflation) where as Angel and others AFAIK animated movement ;) anyway I'll probably get back to this mod after some time (now I'm working on a vintage rockets mod concept).

• 3 months later...

I hope I won't be banned for this question, but no one seems to have asked it yet..

(When) will the 1.1 release happen? I can't mine planets the proper way without this mod :(

Now I know that IR 2.0 is still in Beta, but the not-moving parts should be working, right? I might test this mod to see what needs fixing tomorrow.

Edited by ExtremeTrader
specified what parts should still be working

10 minutes ago, ExtremeTrader said:

I hope I won't be banned for this question, but no one seems to have asked it yet..

(When) will the 1.1 release happen? I can't mine planets the proper way without this mod :(

Now I know that IR 2.0 is still in Beta, but the parts should be working, right? I might test this mod to see what needs fixing tomorrow.

The sticky says repeated requests. I think one polite question is fine. All of @riocrokite mods are most excellent.

All parts that don't need IR are working fine (including the partswitches), though I did get a couple of warnings that might be worth looking at:

[WRN 14:42:42.318] [Part]: PartModule TransferDialogSpawner at KI2CabinSmall, index 11: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.
Looking for TransferDialogSpawner in other indices...
[WRN 14:42:42.319] ...no TransferDialogSpawner module found on part definition. Skipping...

[WRN 14:42:42.339] [Part]: PartModule TransferDialogSpawner at KI3CabinBig, index 13: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.
Looking for TransferDialogSpawner in other indices...
[WRN 14:42:42.340] ...no TransferDialogSpawner module found on part definition. Skipping...

[WRN 14:42:47.316] InternalModel error: Part Crew capacity is 1, but 4 seats are defined in internal model
[WRN 14:42:47.335] InternalModel error: Part Crew capacity is 3, but 4 seats are defined in internal model

and some errors:

[ERR 14:22:29.310] Error: FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected in part 'FrameHorizontal21'. <-- Happens with (I think) every part in this mod

[ERR 14:22:29.310] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'JSIPartComponentGroup' <-- May have something to do with the error above, this one repeats multiple times and only after loading of a part from this mod. But everything is running fine, is that plugin really a requirement for this mod?

[ERR 14:22:29.871] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'MuMechToggle' <-- Instead of the JSIPartComponentGroup error, this error may appear

For the complete KSP.log, click this link.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.