[WIP] Modular Satellite System (MSS)

rabidninjawombat

So, ive been itching to give some a go at a serious project for KSP: And after about 1000ish hours of playing, one of my biggest issues, is a lack of variety in probe cores and other unmanned systems.

Modular Satellite System (MSS)

Inspiration:

From Wikipedia: The Modular Common Spacecraft Bus (MCSB) is a fast-development, low-cost, general purposespacecraft platform. Its modular design is intended to reduce the cost, complexity, and lead time on missions by providing a reliable, well-characterized system that can carry a variety of payloads. According to NASA, "the spacecraft is roughly one tenth the price of a conventional unmanned mission and could be used to land on the Moon, orbit Earth, or rendezvous with near-Earth objects.

Modular_Common_Spacecraft_Bus.jpg

This system was recently used on the Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer (LADEE) mission to the moon.

Goals:

• Provide a modular approach to building a unmanned lander/satellite capable of Mun/Minmus/LKO at the very least. You pick what you want! Extra Batteries for a ComSAT? Science equipment for a munar lander? You got it!
  • RemoteTech integration
  • ScanSAT integration
  • Keeping parts to a minimum using Firespitter model switch on similar size parts.
  • Any other suggestions are welcome.

early WIP Model for Fuel module portion: (untextured and missing a few fine details, got solar panels setup (and animated!))

Edited by rabidninjawombat

Another module for the system:

Battery/Coms Module: Integrated battery and antenna array. Figured out blender animation which was fun! Working on a model for a fold-able dish/antenna right now to go at the end of each piston, though i have a feeling that's gonna take me a few days to get right.

Textures will come soon, but i wanna make sure i have at least halfway decent models (for being such a noob :P)

And a GIF since sketchfab doesnt support animations

vdYkrlZ.gif

(not sure if i like the solar panels sliding up on a rail. May change it later to have them flip up from the top on a hinge)

Working on propulsion modules/engines now, one for Mono, one for LFO.

More inspration:

Artists rendering of the LADEE moon orbiter,

mRBFOb0.jpg

And what LADEE looked like in the VAB before she had her exterior attached

70vPSXy.jpg

Gives you an idea of what i am shooting for.

Any feedback, criticisms , suggestions, comments, tips, pointers or just general shenanigans are welcome!.

Looks nice, I agree with your statement about not liking the solar panels sliding up, seems like you would see a lot of part clipping with the stack above it. Maybe make those panels not be solar panels and have them be a folding hinge to the sides?

Kingtiger's Universal Storage has a really nice setup for opening and closing of panels, might take some inspiration from him? The 2.5m containers were the hinged doors I am thinking of. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/75129-Universal-Storage-1-0-90-2-%28For-KSP-0-90%29-19th-January-2015

Finished (i think) modeling the Battery/Coms part of the system. Still learning blender (just picked it up a week ago, and haven't had much time to fool around with it this week.

Animated gif of the antenna deployment. Animations a little jumpy, not the smooth deployment i wanted. Would adding more keyframes help this? (im assuming)

pbCJNcA.gif

Updated Model (EDIT: just noticed a couple things are out of alignment, will fix those :P)

Working on the Probe core section now, and the propulsion system. Follow by texturing (im dreading that lol :P)

These are looking very good! What is the diameter? I would like to make SCANsat scanners for this.

Edit: Read the words, not just the pictures. Looks like your going to do SCANsat.

Ive modeled them in blender as size 1 (or 1.25m size in KSP) though throwing in a tweakscale config wont be hard to make them an size.

vertically they should be half size (or .75m)

I know based on their realworld size 1.25m is a bit big, but hey.. artistic license :P

Working on the last couple pieces for modeling, before starting on textures.

ProbeCore Module:

Still need to smooth out and even out animations, but this gives you an idea. Was having sooo much trouble animated the little petals (the ones not on a direct X or Y axis :P Till i figured out how to use Local Transform orientation (as opposed to global, noob moment!)

Should have two options. One with an integrated docking port (the one here) for resupply missions to space stations and such. And a basic one without docking port, but extra batteries for landers and satellites.

4c9XSOZ.gif

Resupply Module:

Just a basic Life support module designed to go with the integrated docking port probe core, for use in station resupply missions.

Completed Parts: (models done, need textures)

• Probe Core
  • Fuel Supply
  • Battery/Coms
  • Resupply

Planned Parts: (still in the works)

• Engine module - Mono & Liquid fueled
  • Landing legs.

After the modeling of the Legs and engine, ill move on to texturing, so i can get out a alpha dev built ASAP :) Open to any suggestions on additional parts that would fit.

• 3 weeks later...
Great idea, and lovely models! Personally though, I'd prefer if not too many parts have complex systems of mechanical hatches, spacecraft (usually) aren't designed that way

Personally I love animated things more than anything!

• 1 month later...

Been a busy last couple months and havent been able to put much time into KSP , Got back into it finally =) and finished up the modeling on the last couple pieces!

Engine Module:

Now that thats out of the way im on to texturing. And i bashed my head against a wall before finally figuring out UV maps :) Any hints on making the process a little easier would be great!

Totally the final Textures! (kidding :P just a unity test to make sure i finally had UV mapping figured out right)

q0N8gAX.png

• 2 weeks later...
I love the design style behind these things, they look great. And that docking port though...

Is that a good or bad reaction to the docking port? :P LOL

Sorry for the slow lack of updates, starting to play with 1.0 and other mods & researching some new stuff.

Thanks for the feedback!

Looks pretty good. How big is this new bus system? .625m?

Ive actually designed the modules @ 1.25 size. I like it as a standard size, plus for the resupply module, (docking port) the .625m Clamp-o-tron is designed to fit on the docking node.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.