Story Time

Pthigrivi

So this is something I've been thinking about for a while, forming some kind of real backstory that could lay groundwork for real attachment to characters and inspiration for players as they venture out into the great kerbaltastic unknown. I know there has been some great fanwork in the past, but I confess I am totally unfamiliar with it. Any recommendations? As they've been developing the art I really love the idea of humble beginnings, that Jeb and crew (please let there be 3 guys and 3 gals) start a tiny space company on a farmland junkyard and bravely careen their way into history. Of course players will be writing their own stories, just as players of TES and dozens of other games do, but developing a genuinely compelling and fun backdrop and structure really helps people enter a world. Thats what I'm interested in. What are kerbals like as beings? What drives them? What scares them? What are their personal relationships like? Any thoughts?

I've written quite a lengthy backstory (link in my signature, or check out my forum blog) which might be the kind of thing you're looking for. Part humble origins story for the space program, part exploration of kerbal society, history, psychology etc., and increasingly, how the two start to collide. Fraid its a bit of an all male cast (alhough a small one) to begin with, but that changes fairly quickly, and the story is pretty gender-blind on the whole.

Good is in the eye of the reader, so I make no promises there, but you're very welcome to give it a try!

And having posted a shameless plug for my own story, I highly recommend:

The Kerbal Khronicles by Deadweasel. Definitely not a humble origins story, but a beautifully written (and illustrated) take on kerbal culture. It does seem to have been abandoned though, which is a great shame.

Farlight by Ten Key. This one's just getting started so head over to the thread and join the ride! A very different take on the Original 3 combined with a darker and grittier Kerbin than you normally see, adds up to an intriguing tale.

Edit: There's a load of good stuff on here but I can't think of any other origin stories off the top of my head. I'll add them here if I do.

You're welcome! If you don't mind another plug, the Fanworks Library (stickied thread) has a, somewhat out of date, list of stories you could browse through for more inspiration.

• 1 year later...
On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 0:06 PM, KSK said:

And having posted a shameless plug for my own story, I highly recommend:

The Kerbal Khronicles by Deadweasel. Definitely not a humble origins story, but a beautifully written (and illustrated) take on kerbal culture. It does seem to have been abandoned though, which is a great shame.

Farlight by Ten Key. This one's just getting started so head over to the thread and join the ride! A very different take on the Original 3 combined with a darker and grittier Kerbin than you normally see, adds up to an intriguing tale.

Edit: There's a load of good stuff on here but I can't think of any other origin stories off the top of my head. I'll add them here if I do.

Not abandonded, just temporarily shelved due to a tidal wave of RL things getting in the way.  Also, I was starting to realize I was writing myself into a corner of sorts, so I've been going back and doing some heavy thinking on where to take things from the current state of affairs.

That said, I'm back to putting effort into the story again, especially since I've been rediscovering my love for all things Kerbal after diving headfirst into 1.0.5.

TL;DR: More is coming soon (just as soon as I recover what has apparently been gobbled whole by the Forum Kraken in my absence!)

If you like graphic novels mine (links in sig) are an attempt to create a 'stockalike' backstory. We even have canon! Chronologically the stories start with the Duna book, the last part of which overlaps the first part of the Eve book, and we are now working on the Jool book.

If you're interested in writing your own stories in any format, may I suggest the Thread for Writers To Talk About Writing for advice, help and always-friendly criticism :) 

3 hours ago, Deadweasel said:

Not abandonded, just temporarily shelved due to a tidal wave of RL things getting in the way.  Also, I was starting to realize I was writing myself into a corner of sorts, so I've been going back and doing some heavy thinking on where to take things from the current state of affairs.

That said, I'm back to putting effort into the story again, especially since I've been rediscovering my love for all things Kerbal after diving headfirst into 1.0.5.

TL;DR: More is coming soon (just as soon as I recover what has apparently been gobbled whole by the Forum Kraken in my absence!)

Best news I've had all day! Hope you manage to recover everything and look forward to reading more whenever Real Life lets you up for air.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.