Dres and The Mun

SmallFatFetus

It is supposed to be Mun, not the Mun.

Mun is not the Moon. It's Mun, and there's more to this than just grammar rules. ;)

The in-game description says "The Mun". The descriptions for other planets don't say "The Duna" or "The Jool", so i'm going to guess "The Mun" is correct. I think one of the in-game tutorials is called "Travelling to the Mun" as well.

[source]

EDIT: in any case, slightly off-topic, Yeah, Dres does seem a bit more like the moon than the mun..

I don't know about in-game, but that's wiki, written by volunteers such as me.

"The Moon" is a weird English rule and obviously does not apply to green creatures who speak gibberish, but people don't think about it so they often use it. That probably happens in certain places in the actual game, too.

So basically you're saying that the volunteers who wrote the wiki just decided to mangle the "in-game description" on the wiki page for their own purposes, perhaps to further their own bias regarding whether it's "Mun" or "The Mun"?

I mean, yeah, it probably is a weird English usage, but there's nothing wrong with "Mun" vs. "The Mun". I prefer "The Mun", probably because I speak U.S. English.

No. I'm pretty sure they did it unintentionally.
The volunteers? I don't think so. The devs? Who cares. It's "The Mun" to some and "Mun" to others. Canonically, in-game, it's "The Mun", in the same way that "Kerbol" is actually "The Sun".
Guys, it's called 'the Moon' to distinguish it from 'A' moon in general parlance.

If it's 'the Mun' in KSP, we have to accept that Jool then has five muns.

Jool has five natural satellites, and Earth has one called the Moon or Ûуýð or MÃ¥nen or Mjesec or la Luna or Σελήνη or MÄ›síc.

Mun is Mun. It's not the Moon. Just Mun. :)

Wouldn't it just be Luna? That's the same naming scheme we kept for the rest of the planets (their Roman deity)... so in my mind, the proper name for The Moon is actually Luna.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luna_(goddess)

Can we all agree that this conversation is hilarious?

It seems to depend where you are. Some of the craters are really dark at the bottom... this one gave me problems until I turned on the landing lights, cos it was hard to see the shadow vs the terrain from a few hundred metres up.

http://i.imgur.com/V7CTcqc.jpg

(And let's be fair; there's every chance that the NASA photo has been enhanced to make it look brighter and easier to see detail :))

It's also possible your entire Mun Landing was faked in some studio. =p

See, but it's really important because if it's "The Mun" it implies that Laythe is also a "mun". If it's also "The Mun", than what is the proper name of this mun? Or did the Kerbals not bother to name it? Why isn't it "The Minmus" then? Is Minmus also a mun?

Wouldn't it just be Luna? That's the same naming scheme we kept for the rest of the planets (their Roman deity)... so in my mind, the proper name for The Moon is actually Luna.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luna_(goddess)

I used Spanish there.

Indeed. I find it amusing.

See, but it's really important because if it's "The Mun" it implies that Laythe is also a "mun". If it's also "The Mun", than what is the proper name of this mun? Or did the Kerbals not bother to name it? Why isn't it "The Minmus" then? Is Minmus also a mun?

The Minmus. Reminds me of "the Picard". :D

It's called the Mun for the same reason Kerbol is the Sun.

They were both observed by ancient Kerbals as dominating the sky. They were neither fixed or wandering stars.

They called them the Sun and The Mun long before they discovered other planets had satellites.

Maybe some Kerbals post on their forums that Gilly is Eve's Mun, and are corrected by Other Kerbals more concerned with proper grammar.

Exactly.

The Mun is a Kerbin moon as is Minmus

Not 'The Minmus'?

Mun is it's name, not it's type...

It's like always referring to you as 'the SorryDave'.

The Moon's name is officially "The Moon" (not moon or luna), the planet we are sat on is "The Earth" (not terra or earth)and our star is "The Sun" (not sol), all the other names are purely for poetic effect. According to the International Astronomical Union anyway.

Jupiter's name is "Jupiter" officially so that is what it should be called.

Mun's name is "Mun" officially so that is what it should be called.

It's called the Mun for the same reason Kerbol is the Sun.

They were both observed by ancient Kerbals as dominating the sky. They were neither fixed or wandering stars.

They called them the Sun and The Mun long before they discovered other planets had satellites.

Maybe some Kerbals post on their forums that Gilly is Eve's Mun, and are corrected by Other Kerbals more concerned with proper grammar.

One problem with your logic - Kerbals aren't Americans or residents of UK. :)

Also, Minmus is visible from Kerbin.

Oh, did I just say Kerbin? Sorry. I meant the Kerbin. :D

Mun's name is "Mun" officially so that is what it should be called.
Actually, it's name isn't "Mun", it is officially "the Mun". Canonically, from all in-game sources I can find (most especially contracts and the tracking station), it is only referenced as "the Mun". We can conjecture from this that Kerbals prefer the English language contraction (also Spanish, apparently, if "la Luna" is accurate?) as a name and that other small bodies orbiting larger bodies are correctly "muns".

Not 'The Minmus'?

No

Minmus was originally called the green pixel.

- - - Updated - - -

One problem with your logic - Kerbals aren't Americans or residents of UK. :)

That's an excellent point, I think Kerbals were originally meant to be asexual but ended up looking like American residents of the U.K. because of some miscommunication during development.

Edited by SorryDave

• 2 weeks later...

Literally 25 of the 40 (now 41) posts on here are about "Mun" vs "The Mun"

I thought I would cast my vote. As The Mun is an analog of The Moon, it makes sense that there would be a "The".

Anyway, I think we can be done with that whole deal. And yes, I thought it was funny coming back to my thread and seeing it awash in "Mun" vs "The Mun" comments.

Have a nice day, SmallFatFetus

Literally 25 of the 40 (now 41) posts on here are about "Mun" vs "The Mun"

I thought I would cast my vote. As The Mun is an analog of The Moon, it makes sense that there would be a "The".

Anyway, I think we can be done with that whole deal. And yes, I thought it was funny coming back to my thread and seeing it awash in "Mun" vs "The Mun" comments.

Have a nice day, SmallFatFetus

No, it doesn't make sense. Squad is not American/British, and Kerbals don't speak English. Mun is just a pun. Add this to several other earlier arguments by others and myself. :)

The Moon's albedo is really low...like black asphalt low. The only reason it appears as bright as it does is because of the contrast between it and deep space, and the fact that the lunar regolith acts as a slight retroreflector. It could be that the devs were attempting to mimic this, but the engine doesn't quite pull it off either due to it's inability to do retroreflections or because Kerbol doesn't put out quite as much light as Sol.

Yeah, the Mun is really dark compared to the Moon. Also remember that lunar landings tended to be done with low sun angles to facilitate observing small craters and rocks that might adjust choice of exact landing spot---and they are still vastly brighter than the Mun is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.