[WIP][1.0][V0.2]Bloeting Corp. Tantares+ Parts Pack (updating to darker and edgier in progress)

passinglurker

Or at least the link to this pack in Tantares post will be nice, I suppose.

Fixed :)

In terms of all this balance talk: personally I think its pretty much perfectly balanced as is. Though I guess Im firmly in the decouplers in the start node camp.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey passinglurker, I had another suggestion that might be more in line with what you had in mind. Back when Beale's ATV came out, there were a lot of requests that he make some of the hypothetical follow on ships such as the CARV, and PARES. Considering it would require you to make a new model but allow you to use preexisting textures, it seems like the sort of thing you might be interested!

bGVNt8W.jpg

Personally the CARV is my favorite; it's similar to the ATV but a little more conical. You could put four or five kerbals in there, and use it as a high capacity Kerbal transport.

• 5 weeks later...

Whew been a while sorry for the silence I'd like to say this time was spent toiling away on the hermes IVA and other cool new things but unfortunately that wasn't the case (blame a combo of real life shenanigans and shameless procrastination) some work has been done but its still no where near ready to show off even so much as a WIP :(

Hey passinglurker, I had another suggestion that might be more in line with what you had in mind. Back when Beale's ATV came out, there were a lot of requests that he make some of the hypothetical follow on ships such as the CARV, and PARES. Considering it would require you to make a new model but allow you to use preexisting textures, it seems like the sort of thing you might be interested!

http://i.imgur.com/bGVNt8W.jpg

Personally the CARV is my favorite; it's similar to the ATV but a little more conical. You could put four or five kerbals in there, and use it as a high capacity Kerbal transport.

As for the ATV variants its very tempting and seems achievable but at the same time I've been thinking of moving away from historical crafts and making more original stuff (still based off tantares textures as is the purpose of this mod) on account of the number of historical designs being finite and beale being a mad modding machine with no sign of stopping or really slowing at all :sticktongue:, but until I have something to show off I really shouldn't go saying I've committed to one plan or another so I'll keep the atv variants in mind and we'll see where my whims take me deal?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news reading all this drama over names in the bacon labs thread reminds me of a funny story.

When I first made this mod I intended to have it named "Bloeting Corp." a spin on the name Boeing a massive real life aerospace company and the word bloat denoting how this pack may wastefully contribute to the clutter of ones part catalog, and that "Tantares +" was just shorthand for "expansion". Really at first I was scared that using the tantares name would have seemed out of line, but then everyone started calling it by this short hand and I didn't have the heart to tell anyone my original intention because it rolled off the tongue so much better. :confused:

So given recent events I'm thinking I should be a bit more insistent about the "bloeting" name for this pack so as to not encourage anyone or myself to hurt the tantares name with half baked efforts. Anyone have any thought on the subject of proper naming for mod expansions? Is this a reasonable course of action or am I just over reacting to forum drama?

Whew been a while sorry for the silence I'd like to say this time was spent toiling away on the hermes IVA and other cool new things but unfortunately that wasn't the case (blame a combo of real life shenanigans and shameless procrastination) some work has been done but its still no where near ready to show off even so much as a WIP :(

As for the ATV variants its very tempting and seems achievable but at the same time I've been thinking of moving away from historical crafts and making more original stuff (still based off tantares textures as is the purpose of this mod) on account of the number of historical designs being finite and beale being a mad modding machine with no sign of stopping or really slowing at all :sticktongue:, but until I have something to show off I really shouldn't go saying I've committed to one plan or another so I'll keep the atv variants in mind and we'll see where my whims take me deal?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news reading all this drama over names in the bacon labs thread reminds me of a funny story.

When I first made this mod I intended to have it named "Bloeting Corp." a spin on the name Boeing a massive real life aerospace company and the word bloat denoting how this pack may wastefully contribute to the clutter of ones part catalog, and that "Tantares +" was just shorthand for "expansion". Really at first I was scared that using the tantares name would have seemed out of line, but then everyone started calling it by this short hand and I didn't have the heart to tell anyone my original intention because it rolled off the tongue so much better. :confused:

So given recent events I'm thinking I should be a bit more insistent about the "bloeting" name for this pack so as to not encourage anyone or myself to hurt the tantares name with half baked efforts. Anyone have any thought on the subject of proper naming for mod expansions? Is this a reasonable course of action or am I just over reacting to forum drama?

Welcome back passinglurker!

If you like Tantares+ you are very welcome to it, really! :)

I love your work, the 'drama' in the other thread is unrelated to the naming used, but rather what's going on with the mod.

So please, continue with the name! (Or go with Bloeting if you want, I still find the name quite funny)

A CARV would be brilliant, I agree :)

There's a huge amount of un-used space that probably isn't going to be used. Any ATV expansion specific textures could be placed there.

fc1bb19bc6.jpg

Edited by Beale

CARV based on the like one concept picture that was ever made of it seems to slightly taper until near the top and then steeply tapers to 1.25 where you would then stick on the same cone adapter as the ATV basically like a sort of angular soyuz shape. Also it follows the ATV's beige aesthetic, and we'd want this to be balanced to carry lots of supplies and little to no crew meaning the PPTS isn't the best stand in. The pod itself shouldn't be too hard though it will need a heat shield and a flush hatch added to the texture sheet like any re entry capsule(but like beale said there is plenty of space) the difficulty comes from the inevitable need for an IVA and I'm still struggling to make one for the lil hermes/mercury the SpaceTurkey/CARV is huge by comparison(quick someone find a better name than spaceturkey before its too late :D)

WIP DUMP

xbSMjb0.png

3Yc00xF.png

u3AWjir.png

I'm still working on the hermes/mercury IVA, but I needed a break and everyone seemed to like the idea of a CARV so here's the freshly textured model as rendered inside blender (its still being dubbed the spaceturkey in my files until I or someone else hopefully comes up with a better name :P)

WIP DUMP

http://i.imgur.com/xbSMjb0.png

http://i.imgur.com/3Yc00xF.png

http://i.imgur.com/u3AWjir.png

I'm still working on the hermes/mercury IVA, but I needed a break and everyone seemed to like the idea of a CARV so here's the freshly textured model as rendered inside blender (its still being dubbed the spaceturkey in my files until I or someone else hopefully comes up with a better name :P)

Damn!

I love it! :)

sweet stuff.

WIP DUMP

http://i.imgur.com/xbSMjb0.png

http://i.imgur.com/3Yc00xF.png

http://i.imgur.com/u3AWjir.png

I love it. Great heatshield textures!

I love it. Great heatshield textures!

I should point out that all I did there was grab the tantares and cappella photoshop files from beales texture repository and copied over the layers for the door and heatshield bits over from tantares to the empty spaces on the cappella sheet, and changed the base colors. So in the end the spiffiness of the texture is still all beale cause he did the hard part. :wink:

NhAZ76l.png?1

Edited by passinglurker

I should point out that all I did there was grab the tantares and cappella photoshop files from beales texture repository and copied over the layers for the door and heatshield bits over from tantares to the empty spaces on the cappella sheet, and changed the base colors. So in the end the spiffiness of the texture is still all beale cause he did the hard part. :wink:

http://i.imgur.com/NhAZ76l.png?1

Looks fantastic!

Will it still have the option to be crewed so that it could be used as a manned capsule?

EDIT: Since the RL version is called CARV, and we should stick with the turkey-basted puns, why not CARVE? CArgo Reentry VEhicle. Either that or Turcia (Latin for turkey).

Edited by planeguy868

Like the Cappella it will be a probe core that can carry kerbals. That being said the balance of the CARV's specs are very much still up in the air in terms of how many kerbals relative to how much other cargo and resources it can carry. Right now I'm leaning towards only 1 or 2 kerbals since Beale's upcoming PPST can cover the 2.5m kerbal mover role.

In other news... PROGRESS

ytsnwZ6.png?1

uJzmYk5.png?1

0TIOmsp.png?1

still budging jeb and the camera around and haven't started on the props yet but still its my first IVA actually in the game so I'm feeling rather proud of myself :D

Like the Cappella it will be a probe core that can carry kerbals. That being said the balance of the CARV's specs are very much still up in the air in terms of how many kerbals relative to how much other cargo and resources it can carry. Right now I'm leaning towards only 1 or 2 kerbals since Beale's upcoming PPST can cover the 2.5m kerbal mover role.

In other news... PROGRESS

http://i.imgur.com/ytsnwZ6.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/uJzmYk5.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/0TIOmsp.png?1

still budging jeb and the camera around and haven't started on the props yet but still its my first IVA actually in the game so I'm feeling rather proud of myself :D

Yes yes!

I love it, IVAs are a pain, for the first time, so I'm happy you haven't had too many problems.

Let me know if you would be needing any specific parts added to the Gemini IVA texture, for use with Mercury.

Not a lot of space, but I'm sure there could be something squeezed in!

f3a1df4c49.jpg

Edited by Beale

passinglurker! I love this stuff. Great work on the CARV. When that comes out, it'll be getting a lot of use. Bloeting uses enough of Tantares' resources to undoubtedly deserve the suffix of Tantares+. Does ESA give any details on where parachutes would be packed on the CARV?

passinglurker! I love this stuff. Great work on the CARV. When that comes out, it'll be getting a lot of use. Bloeting uses enough of Tantares' resources to undoubtedly deserve the suffix of Tantares+. Does ESA give any details on where parachutes would be packed on the CARV?

the details on the CARV are sparse as far as I can find (basically just a bit on the ATV's wikipedia page and the picture DGatsby linked). Most material refers to the ARV which is a straight cone dedicated crew vehicle that can be made with beale's PPTS model (as opposed to the CARV which is an unmanned cargo vehicle with down mass capability and a more headlamp like shape) so I was just planning to exercise creative license, make the pod, and see if the existing decoupler and docking parachutes were sufficient before devising a chute of my own (which would likely be a radial chute if it came to that)

Edited by passinglurker

the details on the CARV are sparse as far as I can find (basically just a bit on the ATV's wikipedia page and the picture DGatsby linked). Most material refers to the ARV which is a straight cone dedicated crew vehicle that can be made with beale's PPTS model (as opposed to the CARV which is an unmanned cargo vehicle with down mass capability and a more headlamp like shape) so I was just planning to just exercise creative license, make the pod, and see if the existing decoupler and docking parachutes were sufficient before devising a chute of my own (which would likely be a radial chute if it came to that)

Frankly I'd say clipping a radial chute into the ATV cone, or using the Fuji combined port/chute would be suitable for CARV.

Frankly I'd say clipping a radial chute into the ATV cone, or using the Fuji combined port/chute would be suitable for CARV.

Well if it came to clipping radials I'd still make my own because tantares has no radials and slowly removing the need for stock parts when one has tantares installed is sorta a goal-ish-type-thing-maybe...

Well if it came to clipping radials I'd still make my own because tantares has no radials and slowly removing the need for stock parts when one has tantares installed is sorta a goal-ish-type-thing-maybe...

Tantares does have radials, actually, one of the Alnair parts.

And double checked, while the Polaris port isn't of the Kurs style of probe-drogue, it still fits well with the aesthetic. It's what I use on my interim CARV (basically a rescaled and retextured Progress CM) in the meantime!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.