Kerbin Geographic And Science Society

togfox

Oh no, I didn\'t mean to imply that I\'d collected the data myself. I suppose I should elaborate.

I\'d first used the program to generate a map off of the CSV in the first post of this thread and was a little dissapointed with the quality as it only had 100 horizontal datapoints and 50 vertical datapoints. I thought this was a result of the data collected so I wanted to get my own and generate a map from that. As I was learning how to do that, my friend came over and politely smacked me in the back of the head reminding me that Surfer defaults to the 100x50 dataset and I had to change that myself. I went back and recalculated it for 1000x1000 and the result was the picture you see before you :D

I\'m still planning on collecting my own data, but I won\'t be able to do that for a couple weeks for various reasons, and well ... .... I\'m impatient ;D

Yeah, it probably is stretched. I\'m not sure of the actual aspect ratio it should be at. And if you think that\'s loud, you should have seen what the program picked (picted?) for the defaults! I toned it way down. :D

I did another one a little later that was a 3D map you viewed from a 45 degree angle and changed it to top-down. It seemed even more intuitive, but the program insisted on putting a plastic shine on it that I found unattractive. I\'m going to try out another mapping program next week and see if I can get something where the north & south poles aren\'t stretched out so much.

NEW FEATURE

After a hair-raising MechJeb landing, I have put a capsule in this crater-like feature.

ryjcW.png

I would like to name it The Valley of Death.

Screenshots:

YSZxC.png

Coords: 41|31|55 N, 84|10|57 E

Thanks for your submission :D

Cool feature, landing on remote islands is a KSP pastime of mine :D

I use the following for the degrees symbol (without the spaces). Apparently the [noparse] tag doesn\'t exist on these forums >.>

[sup ]o[/sup ]

Alternatively, you can: hold down the left Alt key, in the num pad type 0176, then release the left Alt key. You should get this °

If you\'re Bob Kerman, you type all special characters this way, and have the codes memorized. And you use a slide-rule. ::)

I do Alt Gr+5, then space to make it appear.

BTW, if a feature I want to name is clearly visible from the world map, do I have to land on it to name it?

Precisely, I want to name the indicated mountain chain the Pelóri mountains. Thumbs up to anyone who gets the reference.

kerbin_colour.png

That\'s an epic map you have there, how did you make it? Or, if you took it from somewhere else simply to mark that mountain range, where did you find it?

BTW, if a feature I want to name is clearly visible from the world map, do I have to land on it to name it?

You need to provide 2 screenshots, one of you landed on the mountain chain, and the other from orbit showing the longitude and latitude.

You need to provide 2 screenshots, one of you landed on the mountain chain, and the other from orbit showing the longitude and latitude.

Here are the pictures. I didn\'t land safely and my MechJeb pod blew up, but the data you need is in these pictures. Please note that they don\'t show the entire chain(except for the first one), so use the map above to show where exactly does it extend.

screenshot11d.png

screenshot10d.png

screenshot9.png

screenshot8.png

I know this should be in an art-labeled separate thread, and I\'ll kindly take it down and make another thread, but here is a logo prototype for the KGSS. Whaddya think? For some reason you have to follow the link to Photobucket instead of viewing it here. srry :P

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g417/cookiedamage/kgss.png

Here are the pictures. I didn\'t land safely and my MechJeb pod blew up, but the data you need is in these pictures. Please note that they don\'t show the entire chain(except for the first one), so use the map above to show where exactly does it extend.

Looks good, the coordinates and a visible attempt at getting there are the main details, which you have provided. Since this is a major feature it will have to go to poll eventually, if no other interest is shown we will probably just add it to our map.

I know this should be in an art-labeled separate thread, and I\'ll kindly take it down and make another thread, but here is a logo prototype for the KGSS. Whaddya think? For some reason you have to follow the link to Photobucket instead of viewing it here. srry :P

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g417/cookiedamage/kgss.png

We already have a logo which is shown on the front of the KGSS Journal however, we are looking for artists to make adverts and other magazine features.

We already have a logo which is shown on the front of the KGSS Journal however, we are looking for artists to make adverts and other magazine features.

Thanks! I think my work would look better as an ad, or something along the lines of a poster. Maybe an advert that hangs on the outside of a building, like NatGeo posters hanging from NYC museums.

Thanks! I think my work would look better as an ad, or something along the lines of a poster. Maybe an advert that hangs on the outside of a building, like NatGeo posters hanging from NYC museums.

When edition 2 comes out it should be clear what kind of items we are looking for. If you think you have ideas you can contribute, then PM them to togfox, or post them in the journal thread :D

Is the persistence file with ships landed at each 'officially' named locations going to be released? Or have I missed seeing it? I see it being talked about, but is there a download?

We haven\'t released it yet, I will see about getting a link to it placed in the OP. This will probably be about the time the second edition of the journal is published. I am glad you surrounded official in quotes, otherwise we would be in trouble right now :P

We haven\'t released it yet, I will see about getting a link to it placed in the OP. This will probably be about the time the second edition of the journal is published. I am glad you surrounded official in quotes, otherwise we would be in trouble right now :P

Oh dear, I had no idea! Good thing I thought to try to be professional! :P

Can\'t wait to see \'em. ^^ Now to go find places to name. 8)

attached is the latest Kerbin map with some land marks named. I\'m losing track of regions vs features so we\'ll work it out as we go.

Tim - I\'m not sure where the first Mun landing is. If you can find a post on that then I can add it. Thx. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.