Iran's Fajr satellite has decayed mysteriously

xenomorph555

The Fajr satellite that was launched on the 2nd of February has mysteriously re-entered today. It was launched to a 420km orbit and had a thruster to keep it in orbit for 18 months. But for some reason it has lost altitude every day and is now gone. It could be solar winds but all other satellites are fine, odd. I don't know how or why this has happened.

In all seriousness though I'm sorry if I have offended any Iranians here with my sarcastic/satirical nature, this was likely an expensive failure for you guys and probably a cra**y day anyway with stuff going on over in the East. I'm sorry this happened but keep on going I guess and eventually you can be on par with South Korea :) (they make good sat's, r8 8/8 m8)

Confirmed, thrusters were firing the wrong way *FACEPALM* sigh well hopefully they will get it right on Fajr-2, they have only had to rebuild it 3 times...

The wrong way, this sound weird I assumed they checked the orbit after each burn and if the orbit was lower something would be wrong.

This is an typical issue in KSP if you control from bottom docking port, however this is not an major problem for correction burn except the lost fuel, only the long ones where you wanted to go to Mun but deorbit instead.

yes I know its harder to get orbital information i real world than in KSP but still.

From the engineering projects I've done, these kinds of "getting it backwards" issues usually result from a lack of proper quality control and documentation. This can be caused by either a general lack of experience or, more likely, a very rushed schedule. I recently saw my friends' fire-fighting quad-copter attempt to fly upside-down because they installed the gyro the wrong way up and this was for a university project where they were most definitely pressed for time.

My grandfather was part of the Talos missiles project. First prototype flew off the launcher and promptly turned nose down into the ocean. Seems they installed the pitch gyro in place of the yaw gyro and vice versa.

After that they changed the connectors so they couldn't be interchanged.

;-)

My grandfather was part of the Talos missiles project. First prototype flew off the launcher and promptly turned nose down into the ocean. Seems they installed the pitch gyro in place of the yaw gyro and vice versa.

After that they changed the connectors so they couldn't be interchanged.

;-)

Wasn't there a Russian Proton rocket that had a similar issue about a year ago...? XD

It reminds of the Energia-Polyus launch.

50_Sur_le_pas_de_tir_On_the_launch_pad_polyus1.jpg

The 80-ton top-secret military satellite was supposed to do a 180 degree rotation to perform the circularization burn, but due to a silly programming error, it did full 360 degree rotation and promptly deorbited itself. Oops.

Edited by Nibb31

This thread is just one big list of Schadenfreude

Second page is mostly similar experiences. And yes I have done the same in KSP, however my point stand, had this been the final circulating burn by the satellite after it upper stage separation it would be very understandable. However not understanding that is wrong then the satellite orbit become lower then they do an orbit raising burns over a week sounds more like an organization issue than quality control. Don't they have an copy on ground? I thought that was pretty standard for non standard satellites and probes?

Okay, I have learnt that the issue was not due to the thruster firing the wrong way, if fact the thruster was never fired for some reason (one theory is thermodynamics breaking pipes). This leaves the important question of how it decayed in less the a month when the previous satellite Navid lasted 2 months at the same altitude. My guess is solar winds.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.