[1.0.x] Civilian Population 1.4

michaelhester07

My PC is fine and I got the final changes in for 1.0 compatibility. It's out now. Let me know of anything breaking. I'm otherwise taking a break from modding KSP and going back to playing GuildWars 2. I'll be watching and updating as necessary.

Maybe pass it to someone just to maintain ? there seem to be some annoying cfg changes to make for it to work properly ;)

this mod isn't compatible with KSP. According to CKAN...

It has simply not been posted to CKAN, as far as I understand. It's so far been completely compatible with the latest KSP, and hasn't thrown any significant exceptions, except for that little security issue I found recently.

... there seem to be some annoying cfg changes to make for it to work properly ;)

There are indeed some flaws in the cfg files. All bottom_stack_nodes have a positive instead of a negative connection value.

While at it, i also corrected the attachment nodes for the small civilian house which were too small.

Replace all part.cfg's in the CivilianManagement/parts folder with the cfg files in the following zip to get it working.

parts.zip

So, I'm having trouble with the download, I go to the KerbalStuff page and try to download, but every time I do, the download fails. I've downloaded several mods off of Kerbal Stuff today, and only this one has had this problem. Any ideas where this problem might be hiding?

michaelhester07, if you're still watching this thread, there appears to be an incompatibility between Civilian Population and Extraplanetary Launchpads.

Specifically, there is a bug that occurs with launch clamps ("Launch Stability Enhancers"). The clamps no longer clip to the floor in VAB, there is no corresponding icon in the staging sequence on HUD, and they can no longer be activated (or rather, the sound and visual fx are triggered upon activation of 1st stage, however the clamps remain clipped to the craft, but not to the ground, allowing the craft to take off with the clamps attached).

2/3 times that causes a crash upon reverting to VAB, especially if the rocket is partially destroyed and the clamps clip through the ground.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Yes, I checked and double-, and even triple-checked whether it is an incompatibility issue, and came to the definitive conclusion that it is.

In fact, I've a series of posts regarding this issue on EL thread (as I originally thought it was an EL bug):

here

here

here

and here

Having said that, I might stumble upon a solution there, and in that case I'm posting this report here for awareness.

-update-

It seems that the mods share a Launchpad.dll file, deleting which from the CP repository seems to fix the clamps. However, I assume the file was there for a reason, was it not?

Edited by Kroopz

I'm personally having trouble even installing the mod... normal installation yields no results: the game runs fine, but no parts actually appear when I play the game. Unfortunate, as this seems like a very cool mod.

I'm personally having trouble even installing the mod... normal installation yields no results: the game runs fine, but no parts actually appear when I play the game. Unfortunate, as this seems like a very cool mod.

You might not be installing it correctly. You need to extract the contents of "90_Civilian_Population-1.4.zip", then copy the folders "CommunityResourcePack" and "NetherdyneAerospace" from there into your "...\KerbalSpaceProgram\Gamedata" folder.

If you copied the whole CivilianPopulation1.4 folder into the Gamedata, then you did it wrong.

P.s. don't forget to delete Launchpads.dll from NetherdyneAerospace folder if you are using, or planning on using the Extraplanetary Launchpads mod along with Civilian Population.

Edited by Kroopz

You might not be installing it correctly. You need to extract the contents of "90_Civilian_Population-1.4.zip", then copy the folders "CommunityResourcePack" and "NetherdyneAerospace" from there into your "...\KerbalSpaceProgram\Gamedata" folder.

If you copied the whole CivilianPopulation1.4 folder into the Gamedata, then you did it wrong.

P.s. don't forget to delete Launchpads.dll from NetherdyneAerospace folder if you are using, or planning on using the Extraplanetary Launchpads mod along with Civilian Population.

I actually have a question about this, is the community resource pack from Civilian Population necessary if I just get the most recent resource pack off the forum? Some other mods I use, use it and install different versions. I noticed the one that comes with Civ Pop has a lot of terrain images in it.

I have an old CRP packed in there. Honest truth I dont expect to return to KSP for a while. If anyone wants to take over this project let me know through PM. The source code is packed into the zip file and I can provide the art assets and add you as a collaborator on the KerbalStuff link.

@ogledhill14,

From what I can tell, what is required is power, food (provided by the farms), storage areas for oxygen, waste, wastewater, and initial supply of water and oxygen. I don't think you need normal kerbals on board to crew it. Add the civilian docking port and new civilians should start showing up.

This is a really cool mod, although it took some work to get it running smoothly. Even after apply the parts.cfg patch from @TheCardinal on page 26, there are a few parts that have inverted connection nodes (civ dock port mk2). I'll look at fixing up the remaining bugs in the parts config and uploading a zip somewhere with all the updates required to make it play happy hopefully later on tonight. I'm giving serious consideration to helping maintain this mod in the future, but we'll have to see if I can get a MonoDevelop environment working.. At the very least, I should upload a few screen of my Twilight Station; she's a thing of beauty. :)

For reference, required changes are removal of the Community Resource Pack and launchpad.dll in the mod folder, and application of @TheCardinal's parts.cfg patch.

Edited by n174rm

Another thing that needs to be updated is the resource biomass was in the cfg of the community resource pack but the newest one does not. Easily fixed byaddint it to the mods resource list. Also I found I had to give each garden hab a small biomass tank to store it in when recycling waste before turning it into food.

I was considering updating the parts to use the stock resource modules and make it compatible with MKS, but is there any documentation on how the civilianmanagment.dll handles the civilian population overall, or what all the network resources are for?

I was considering updating the parts to use the stock resource modules and make it compatible with MKS, but is there any documentation on how the civilianmanagment.dll handles the civilian population overall, or what all the network resources are for?

MichaelHester07 has given me all the project files and contributor status on the the Kerbalstuff page :) So ill be taking this over for him, his work on these awesome models is just too goid to see die! I'm gonna spend a few days getting familiar with the project and should have a stable download up as soon as possible.

A longer term goal is close to what you said, to make CivPop more compatible and complementary to MKS/OKS.

Ok cool I'll love to see it when your done. Makes things easier for me lol :) Looking back at my post I think I should clarify I was looking to do so for my own use. I was not intending to try and step in and take over a mod for anyone. I may feel comfortable making some .cfg changes or update but when it comes to dll files I'm lost lol. Where you planing on going with TAC or USI-LS as a base for the life support?

The zip puts an old out dated version of CommunityResourcePak in the sub folder CivilianPopulation1.4 instead of along side it so that it gets noticed and doesn't override the properly placed version.

The zip puts an old out dated version of CommunityResourcePak in the sub folder CivilianPopulation1.4 instead of along side it so that it gets noticed and doesn't override the properly placed version.

I'm aware of that :) I just published an update to the Kerbalstuff download.

Notes:

-Reverting Compatibility to .90, as the full features of this mod do not work in 1.02.----------code needs a bit of work, and the parts need to be migrated over to the stock resource system.

-Updated the CommunityResourcePack download in the pack, and removed all the errant uneeded .dlls. (including the Launchpad.dll)

- Parts can still be used on 1.02 if you wish. Most if not all connection nodes should be fixed, but the Civilian related features will probably not work till i have a chance to look at them. (Working on them right now, but will take a few days for me to get familiar with the project)

Edited by rabidninjawombat

It appears that this mod lacks a link to source code license in the post.

Much as I hate to do it, the download has been removed until source is provided license is included in post.

Edited by DuoDex

It appears that this mod lacks a link to source code.

Much as I hate to do it, the download has been removed until source is provided.

Honestly thats fine DuoDex :) I will be starting a new thread once i get it updated. As i cant edit the OP to add said source :P