Cities: Skylines

Deadpangod3

prpeordered it yesterday, now to wait for Tuesday to arrive so i can play it.

so its basically a city building game, but without the grid things and all that, and without needing an internet connection to play (unlike a certain game)

it looks cool judging by the trailers.

Edited by Deadpangod3

it looks cool judging by the trailers.

It looks like a carbon copy of SimCity 5, but with all the horrible things fixed. Though I cannot agree with such a blatant copy of someone else's work, the SimCity IP has been so brutally mauled and murdered by EA that it was in dire need of a fix. Maybe it would have been better if they decided to make their own game a little more, but either way, the city builder community is served. This seems to be exactly what SimCity needed to be, and what people paid for. SimCity 5 was an outright scam.

It isn't really possible to make a city builder that isn't a carbon copy of previous city builders.

All first person shooter are carbon copies on the original first person shooters too but because changing the art assets shows up more in those games than it would in a city builder no-one complains.

It looks good, but I'm still hoping that Cities XXL will get a performance patch as it dwarf's all the competition but runs badly, having bought that I'm holding off on spending any more on games at the moment.

It isn't really possible to make a city builder that isn't a carbon copy of previous city builders.

You are talking about similarities. Those are inevitable within a genre. I am talking about a carbon copy, which are similarities on a whole different level. If I would not have known that this is another game while watching the game play videos I would have been absolutely sure it was SimCity. Even the little smiley faces that appear when you plop a building are the same. You really have to know what to look for to spot the differences. In contrast, I would never think I was seeing SimCity when I look at CitiesXL gameplay and vice versa. Though they do very much the same thing, their have obvious differences in approach.

When I say carbon copy, I mean carbon copy. They just made SimCity 5+. Whether that is good or bad is another discussion.

It looks good, but I'm still hoping that Cities XXL will get a performance patch as it dwarf's all the competition but runs badly, having bought that I'm holding off on spending any more on games at the moment.

Do not hold your breath, Cities XXL is a hoax. The original Cities XL was pretty decent, but everything after the bankruptcy Monte Cristo has been an absolute joke. Every time substantial differences have been promised and every time it is the same game, but some glitter sprinkled on top. Even the 'new' Cities XXL has all the same bugs and issues. They just have given the interface an update, maybe recompiled the code using some new libraries, but that is about it.

It is sad to say, but the new owners seem intent on milking the existing game and code to the last drop, but do not intend making any actual changes to it. It could have been an excellent game, but it looks like the initial issues will never be fixed.

You are talking about similarities. Those are inevitable within a genre. I am talking about a carbon copy, which are similarities on a whole different level. If I would not have known that this is another game while watching the game play videos I would have been absolutely sure it was SimCity. Even the little smiley faces that appear when you plop a building are the same. You really have to know what to look for to spot the differences. In contrast, I would never think I was seeing SimCity when I look at CitiesXL gameplay and vice versa. Though they do very much the same thing, their have obvious differences in approach.

When I say carbon copy, I mean carbon copy. They just made SimCity 5+. Whether that is good or bad is another discussion.

Do not hold your breath, Cities XXL is a hoax. The original Cities XL was pretty decent, but everything after the bankruptcy Monte Cristo has been an absolute joke. Every time substantial differences have been promised and every time it is the same game, but some glitter sprinkled on top. Even the 'new' Cities XXL has all the same bugs and issues. They just have given the interface an update, maybe recompiled the code using some new libraries, but that is about it.

It is sad to say, but the new owners seem intent on milking the existing game and code to the last drop, but do not intend making any actual changes to it. It could have been an excellent game, but it looks like the initial issues will never be fixed.

It's hard to argue, they've added multithreading but it's only partially working, still maxed on one core while the others are only running at around 25% and it still has the appalling memory leak that it always had.

I doubt it will improve but if that company ever wants to sell another title they really need to.

It's hard to argue, they've added multithreading but it's only partially working, still maxed on one core while the others are only running at around 25% and it still has the appalling memory leak that it always had.

I have a feeling they recompiled the existing code against some new libraries, allowing offloading to other cores. Unfortunately that is all they did and since the original game was never designed to be properly multi-threaded, the result is pretty much the same. Performance is still horrible, even on truly powerful systems.

As much as I would love to see different, it all screams lazy port. Absolutely nothing shows they put any real effort into this. They just republished the game with the minimum effort required.

I doubt it will improve but if that company ever wants to sell another title they really need to.

The new owners manage to fool people every time. First it was Platinum, now it is XXL. They just come up with some fancy story and cash on the people that fall for it again. A lot of people see the potential that is there and get scammed out of their money because of their hopes.

I would not be surprised if the exact same thing happens again a year or two from now, though if Cities: skylines turns out any good, that will become a lot harder for them.

Edited by Camacha

I'm not gonna preorder it, it looks cool and possibly better than simcity. But i can't tell until i get some gameplay footage.

There are people Twitching it and whatnot. Looks pretty good.

Well, it should look like SimCity, because it's quite like SimCity. It just happens to not be rubbish, like the current SimCity.

Edited by Camacha

oh for the love of god didnt you already learn NOT to preorder games? what is wrong with you people? are you masochists? when will you learn that you are the blame for sim city 5 and AC:Unity coming out in horrible condition and for stuff like aliens:CM and such being successful despite being awful games?

I've watched

play through a bit of it, now i can say that i would really like this game. It looks a lot better than the latest simcity.

Still not gonna preorder though, i'll wait till after it comes out.

not to many features seem to be revealed.

What do you mean? They are showing a lot of features. I am actually quite impressed. Dynamic water, a lot of intricate detail, massive amounts of micro management. Best thing is that non-company people that already have access also seem pretty happy.

SimCity 5 is, sadly, just broken.

Well, it looks pretty good, but not to many features seem to be revealed. Ill just stick to SimCity5 for now

Ok, let me show you:

SC5: 2x2 km map with huge buildings.

C:S: 9 2x2 km maps when everything's unlocked, It also has smaller buildings and roads, so more "city" per city square.

Also, C:S has a simulation (Let's admit it, SC5 didn't have even an excuse for a simulation).

oh for the love of god didnt you already learn NOT to preorder games? what is wrong with you people? are you masochists? when will you learn that you are the blame for sim city 5 and AC:Unity coming out in horrible condition and for stuff like aliens:CM and such being successful despite being awful games?

Plenty of youtubers and streaming with good reputations have posted vids and livestreams of gameplay. The game is well done and is worth a pre order.

Also I enjoyed Colonial Marines so don't you dare put that in the same vein as sim city 5 and unity.

Will my computer run C:S well or bad? It runs SC5 well enough.

From what I hear it runs pretty nicely, quite possibly lighter than SimCity 5. It seems you do not need monster hardware to run it decently.

It does look cool, sorta SimCity 5 done well really, which I like, but no way in hell I'm gonna buy if it is Steam only, sorry.

Sadly, Steam is unavoidable nowadays. I buy every game I can outside Steam, but it seems at least half is only available through the platform. I buy those fully aware of the disadvantages, but I am afraid very few people do.

I'm thinking of getting it too, though I tend to avoid any pre-order like the plague.

That being said, there's quite a few youtubers out there who have been playing pre-release copies and from what I can tell it looks pretty awesome. I personally have been watching Sean "Day [9]" Plott play it on his friday show.

Superficially, it does look like a better version of SimCity, but honestly I never played the latest SimCities because of the bad reviews they got, so I can't be any judge of that.

Superficially, it does look like a better version of SimCity, but honestly I never played the latest SimCities because of the bad reviews they got, so I can't be any judge of that.

I think it is safe to say the developers intended pretty much that. From the looks of it, they succeeded.

Dunno why people don't like steam, it's pretty great.

In my case, it adds burden and limitations without adding anything I need or want. The only time I was unable to play a game I bough, it was because Steam was belly up. There's no reason for that, a single player game shouldn't need an Internet connection (or a client you can setup to be in offline mode). Period. Cards? Library? What the hell is that and why would I care about it?! I want to play the game, not exchange cards or whatever you do with them. I spent 20 years gaming with out a library of games in the cloud, I certainly don't need one now.

Anyways, the fact remains that the game looks cool and I can wait 5 years until it goes on sale at gog.com for 9.95. I have plenty of other games. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.