Cities: Skylines

Deadpangod3

http://i.imgur.com/16zLHfT.jpg

*Adds traffic engineer to the list of jobs he should never be given, right under Rocket Scientist.*

Haha, that's awesome. Simcity was probably one of the things that got me interested in pursuing a career in urban design/landscape architecture, (a decision I am currently having doubts about.)

68217_156941484351820_2310651_n.jpg?oh=d8e344cb308c47e5981214b6980dad99&oe=5576C7AE&__gda__=1433808305_1f10d085c7f5d4a0ce7a1ab499879727

This game does look good though, but lack of moneys and a need to stay focused means I probably won't for some time.

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure this one out. I created a simple metro line between two stops to help elleviate the traffic on the bridge. The top one and the right-side one were the first I set up, and they automatically created a back-and-forth line between themselves. http://i.imgur.com/qqegreO.png

This really didn't seem to work because I was getting an average of 14 or so travellers on the metro per week. So I added the third line (which does seem to have helped quite a bit) but... the first back-and-forth line is still there. I can't figure out how to delete it. I looked it up online and people say "Go into the transit overlay in the upper left" But there is no "transit overlay" only a transportation one, and I can't see anything that can help me delete old routes in there.

So, yeah. How do I delete old metro routes that are messing up my otherwise perfect loop?

EDIT:

I FOUND IT. It's weird, but if you have the transportation tab open, you can't view the actual transport overlay. You have to exit the one where you build the stuff in order to go into the overlay where you can delete or rename the lines. http://i.imgur.com/KNelVwG.png

Edited by PTNLemay

I wish someone would modernize SimCity 3000 and release it on Steam or GOG. I had a lot of good times with that one.

Shoo, you! I'm having a hard time living vicariously through images and stories from the CS players with these flashbacks of yours ;)

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure this one out. I created a simple metro line between two stops to help elleviate the traffic on the bridge. The top one and the right-side one were the first I set up, and they automatically created a back-and-forth line between themselves. http://i.imgur.com/qqegreO.png

This really didn't seem to work because I was getting an average of 14 or so travellers on the metro per week. So I added the third line (which does seem to have helped quite a bit) but... the first back-and-forth line is still there. I can't figure out how to delete it. I looked it up online and people say "Go into the transit overlay in the upper left" But there is no "transit overlay" only a transportation one, and I can't see anything that can help me delete old routes in there.

So, yeah. How do I delete old metro routes that are messing up my otherwise perfect loop?

EDIT:

I FOUND IT. It's weird, but if you have the transportation tab open, you can't view the actual transport overlay. You have to exit the one where you build the stuff in order to go into the overlay where you can delete or rename the lines. http://i.imgur.com/KNelVwG.png

Thank you! Would have never found it without this hint.

My intersection previously shown works OK. It's basically a triple roundabout, just looking rather polygonal. On the other hand some of my other roundabouts are really snarling up because the traffic is Doing It Wrong, people on the roundabout stop to let newcomers on and it gridlocks. I need to experiment more, and probably suck it up that buildings nearby are gonna get demolished all the time.

Please note that sharp turns seriously hamper traffic flow, as cars actually slow down more for sharper corners. Making roads flow visually also makes traffic flow better. Shallow turns and merges and lazy turns are best.

Also be advised there is a mod that lets you add or remove traffic lights. It is a great way of tuning your traffic flow.

I finally fixed my water problems, turned out to be a water tower in an industrial area that I forgot about. But I still spent the 50 grand on a full replumb of one of the towns anyway.

Traffic, on the other hand, continues to be a nuisance. Here's one of my black spots, near where the Bromwicham Ring Road joins the interstate. I kept throwing more roads at this but I still get jams, maybe at some point I'll try and solve it all rationally.

16309803374_cbddf93cd9_o.jpg

And have an aerial shot of Victoria Park, essentially a second town on the same map. And the one I focus more on, whereas I've somewhat been neglecting Bromwicham proper. As you can see grids are emphatically not my thing.

16312145653_58d6b71412_o.jpg

Now, wonder what I'll spend that half a million currently burning a hole in my pocket on...

I finally fixed my water problems, turned out to be a water tower in an industrial area that I forgot about. But I still spent the 50 grand on a full replumb of one of the towns anyway.

Traffic, on the other hand, continues to be a nuisance. Here's one of my black spots, near where the Bromwicham Ring Road joins the interstate. I kept throwing more roads at this but I still get jams, maybe at some point I'll try and solve it all rationally.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8704/16309803374_cbddf93cd9_o.jpg

And have an aerial shot of Victoria Park, essentially a second town on the same map. And the one I focus more on, whereas I've somewhat been neglecting Bromwicham proper. As you can see grids are emphatically not my thing.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8691/16312145653_58d6b71412_o.jpg

Now, wonder what I'll spend that half a million currently burning a hole in my pocket on...

One big problem sems to be, that you have 2 crossings with traffic lights close to each other.

According to my exprience this always leads to problems with the traffic

I presume this is not an American game because I have yet to see a three or five lane road. Dedicated turning lanes. How hard is it, really? And why, oh please tell me why, does my budget allotment for train services have anything to do with how many freight trains run? Money-sink commuter rail I can understand, but why am I paying the shipping fees for my industry?!

It's by a Finnish company actually. But to be honest it's missing a lot of stuff you'll see in all countries. The difficulty in making proper roundabouts, and absolute lack of mini-roundabouts, is just as irksome to me as a Brit.

Still, on balance I can't say it's anything less than a really good game, and a strong candidate for best city builder now. There's already a ton of flexibility - it's having that that ends up highlighting the shortcomings I feel. And there's already a boatload of mods too.

Is it just me, or does reducing taxes not seem to change happiness at all?

I cut it all the way down to 6% for everyone and the happiness graph hasn't changed for a good 6 years now. The happiness is plateau-ed pretty much where it's been since my city got big. Does it take even longer before happiness kicks in? Or should I just keep taxes high and slap parks everywhere?

I cut it all the way down to 6% for everyone and the happiness graph hasn't changed for a good 6 years now. The happiness is plateau-ed pretty much where it's been since my city got big. Does it take even longer before happiness kicks in? Or should I just keep taxes high and slap parks everywhere?

I've not touched the taxes, policies, or anything like that and just place stuff to fix problems. I don't even know what the default tax rate is :D Nobody complains about high taxes or praises me for low taxes, so I figure I'm all good.

Cities: Skylines looks like a good game to mod. Maybe I can make the city hall (if there's one) into something grand like the Grand Central Terminal or the Great Hall of the People, or just the central block of Parliament Hill.

Grand Central is already available in the Deluxe Edition, and probably also on Steam. Do not let that stop you from modding though, the more the merrier.

I must say, KSP without mods can be painful sometimes, but this feels and functions like a well rounded game even without tweaking it too much.

Money doesn't buy you happiness :P

More seriously, in my experience raising them too much makes leave. I nearly bankrupted my city doing that by falling into a vicious circle of raise tax rate > people leave > tax revenue declines > raise tax rate. Conversely lowering them might stimulate growth.

Meanwhile, I've been building a vague approximation of a Victorian slum,

16764008828_3f9ef69056_o.jpg

The real-world counterpart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-to-back_houses . Taking the approach in Cities is neat because it gives you a high population density without the effects on demographics that "high density" has.

Aerial view of the whole city: https://flic.kr/p/rxofds .

It's not changed much, I spent most of today building the big highway through Bromwicham. I didn't want to demolish or move service buildings so I worked to thread it round three medical centres, two schools, and a police station. With six separate carriageways it got pretty complicated. At the moment it seems to work OK but the traffic load is really light, it's nowhere near really tested.

@ Cantab

Well the back up they go! I might as well build up a bit of savings.

Here's another thing that's been confusing me. http://i.imgur.com/DoZOZ2q.png

I setup a little ore mining town (from what I can tell it's right on top of a good deposit), set the neighborhood to be set as a mining industry, but in that overlay it shows no ore being used. Plenty available, but the amount used is a grand zero. The neighborhood is producing though, ore trucks are going in and out all day long. But it's not registering for some reason.

Strange. Keep in mind that if no ore is mined then the business that need it will import it, so you might still see ore trucks.

Meanwhile I learnt today that just building one interchange is a game in itself. Looking forward to testing this behemoth out.

16932956526_50e8e5836c_o.jpg

EDIT: And it's useless :( The thing's so big that virtually everywhere says "slope too steep". Looks like I'll have to scratch building each intersection, dang it.

Edited by cantab

Strange. Keep in mind that if no ore is mined then the business that need it will import it, so you might still see ore trucks.

Meanwhile I learnt today that just building one interchange is a game in itself. Looking forward to testing this behemoth out.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8732/16932956526_50e8e5836c_o.jpg

EDIT: And it's useless :( The thing's so big that virtually everywhere says "slope too steep". Looks like I'll have to scratch building each intersection, dang it.

That's a crazy looking interchange. I've had to go up to level 4 when I got it in my head to not only make my own interchange but also run a train line through the area as well.

I need to YouTube this. Or maybe livestream it.

Note that the corner angle is relevant for traffic flow. It looks like this intersection could be optimised a lot in that sense without adding much road surface.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.