To speak in a fashion similar to an upper-class person of british origin

mincespy

Could I have permission to alter my mode of speech into a semi-Old English, my dear sir?

Sure! I think I might do that myself;

Wella, wisan men, wel; gað ealle on þone weg ðe eow lærað þa foremæran bisna þara godena gumena þara weorðgeornena wera þe ær eow wæron. Eala, eargan idelgeornan; hwy ge swa unnytte sien swa aswundne?

Sure! I think I might do that myself;

Wella, wisan men, wel; gað ealle on þone weg ðe eow lærað þa foremæran bisna þara godena gumena þara weorðgeornena wera þe ær eow wæron. Eala, eargan idelgeornan; hwy ge swa unnytte sien swa aswundne?

I have no idea what you just said.

I do believe that \'Middle English\' is the more precise description of that which vexx is interested in.

That\'s still like this;

Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote

The droghte of March hath perced to the roote

And bathed every veyne in swich licour,

Of which vertu engendred is the flour;

Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth

Inspired hath in every holt and heeth

The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne

Hath in the Ram his halfe cours yronne,

And smale foweles maken melodye,

That slepen al the nyght with open ye

(I do have an advantage because I am British)

(You do realise that Americans have the advantage because most of them only think they know what British people speak like through British characters in movies speaking only with received pronunciation or cockney dialect?)

(You do realise that Americans have the advantage because most of them only think they know what British people speak like through British characters in movies speaking only with received pronunciation or cockney dialect?)

(Does that mean we make better yanks? :D)

Those bloody Yanks and their lies about \'ow Tomas Jefferson was th\' founder of E-lectricity, ev\'ry one knows it was Ol\' Nickola!

Good sir, I do believe you mean Thomas Edison, and not Tomas Jefferson. Jefferson is, in actuality, the 3rd President of the United States. He died over 80 years before the alleged invention of the lightbulb. Forgive me, my good man, but one cannot actually invent electricity, not without being God at the very least. Now, lets go out for tea and crumpets shall we? Oh, and please do recall that we need scones for our outing in the woods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.