FAR from impossible 2 - Less rules, more fun. [Open indefinitely]

THE CHALLENGE:

After the success of the first version of FAR from impossible, I decided to turn it into an ongoing project!

The concept is the same, I will work on your "whatever" that flies on stock KSP and make it work on FAR.

I attempt will make airplanes fly and bring rocket payloads to LKO.

It's also totally okay if you just want to know if your craft would fly on FAR or what you need to change so it flies on FAR, just please follow the submission rules.

I will work as much as I see fit for every craft, this challenge is less competitive and more aimed at the fun.

The most challenging crafts will be rewarded and displayed here on the OP, these best crafts will then be ranked, and this time there will be actual rewards!

Some tips for building your crafts:

-Clipping things around is unfun, be original!

-Engines on FAR are cut by 50%, so don't make underpowered crafts.

-Exposed nodes facing forward are not as complicated to deal with as you imagine.

-Stability is the main issue about a weirdnesscraft, unless it can point straight...

-Make it clear that you know what you are doing when building your crafts, some random stuff put together in 5 minutes will not be as fun.

-Impress me, I am still waiting for a craft that is untameable.

RULES:

For the sake of my own sanity, the craft must:

1-Fly stably in stock (include pics of stable flight or orbital insertion ascent, preferably a bit further away from the KSC).

2-Be built using stock parts ONLY.

3-Try to stay in one piece during takeoff and flight.

4-Contain minimal part clipping, nor intake spam (no more than you really need, part clipping accepted if it looks cool).

5-Have a reasonable amount of parts.

6-Not make use of ANY glitch or game engine exploit.

Submission rules:

1-You must wait for your previous submission to be worked on before submiting a new one.

2-If you post more crafts or try anything too fancy about your submissions I will just ignore them.

3-The craft name must contain it's name and your forum nickname, like: E36 - tetryds

4-Your entry is the craft at the moment I download it.

5-You can either submit the craft on this topic or send me via PM, but all crafts (before and after) will be downloadable on the scoreboard when I am done with all of them.

6-Try to not spam your crafts around, one every week or two is enough.

*There rules are meant to keep things sane, if your craft is cool but breaks a few of them, post it anyway! It's not like you can't post anything else later if it's not accepted.*

Edited by tetryds

Well i've been on this forum long enough. Time to partake in a challenge, and i really like this one. I'll make it my first.

I present to you the Gary Larson! Yes...that's the name of the plane...

2iqkeac.jpg

It flies stably...ish...well, lets be honest: it flies. It's uncontrollable without sas, and you can simply forget about landing this thing.

However, the brilliant engineers behind this craft solved the landing "issue" by simply giving the pilots a parachute. Problem solved!

1255don.jpg

I'm not trying to tell you how do your job here, since you're good at this, but here's a couple of notes regarding this plane.

-I added a fuel tank on the right arm as a ballast. You can change its weight by adding or removing fuel (duh!)

-I found that I would get the most stable flight when i set the left engine limiter to about 30%

-It won't run straight on the runway. =P All my takeoffs were off to the side, luckily it has enough power to get its rump off the ground.

212c0hh.jpg

Gary Larson - hobbes

The Craft file

Good Luck!

Edited by hobbez

Seeing Hobbes reminds of a previous craft I built in an attempt to build each and every one of Burt Rutan's strange flying machines. This is isn't it, but rather a stock rebuild that looks similar. Hard enough to get to fly in the stock souposphere, wonder how hard this is in FAR.

For your flying pleasure: the Boomerang Jet

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Ps.

I would love to submit a completely different craft, but it requires some mods. It's the craziest flying machine I know and maybe you've seen it before, this is a stock challenge, but I figured maybe you'd want to try. Let me know what you think of this (will require Infernal robotics and Firespitter as a minimum requirement, can't be helped):

freewing.jpg

"Gary Larson - hobbes" really caught me unprepared, nice one, it will likely be among the top crafts.

I'm honored.

Hey, you can always set it aside, work on other crafts and come back to it later. =)

I spent several hours trying to get the damn thing to fly on stock ksp. I REALLY wanted to avoid putting SAS on it because i feel it's sorta cheaty on a plane, but I had to put at least one for a controlled flight. It only needed 1, but i put 2 because it was more stress than pleasure to fly with just 1.

I originally built it with 2 long girders on the right side, but it proved to be too much of a headache.

So I updated my craft conform to the rules. sorry about that. I also made some slight improvements, for example it now uses jet engines so you can fly it a little further.

here is the craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pubuutohakq2kor/BoobyTrapGaming%27s%20Daf.craft?dl=0

DecoQR4.jpg

z2IXj8a.jpg

izb0gAV.jpg

I can easily fly it to the island runway. turning is decent as long as you bank&yank. use action group 1 to lift the nose off of the ground for take-off.

good luck with this one!

Edited by tetryds

Funfun.

@hobbez: I will release your craft later, let's build some hype :P

@BoobyTrapGaming: It's fine that you send it again to not break the challenge rules, just be careful to not break the forum rules too ;)

@Deddly: Sorry but you have way too many parts.

I could make it fly, but testing it becomes a very unpleasing experience.

Bring the part count down, please.

Flies badly, but with very few changes, I could make it fly better but I don't want to touch anything other than the elevons.

Looks awesome.

Stock: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8zrzv2z95jg2yk/Boomerang%20Jet-%20hoioh.craft?dl=0

FAR: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmu611li79d8nrj/Boomerang%20Jet%20-%20hoioh%20FAR.craft?dl=0

It already flies :D

Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7iq8f0ea4t3g0o/LOL_Block-Skyentist.craft?dl=0

It already flies, only added a radial decoupler to fix a small FAR glitch.

Stock: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pubuutohakq2kor/BoobyTrapGaming%27s%20Daf.craft?dl=0

FAR: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2u5msz2vuaqxo6/BoobyTrapGaming%27s%20Daf%20FAR.craft?dl=0

Edit:

@Wanderfound: Sorry, flying on stock is a core parameter, maybe you can get someone to fly it on stock for you.

Edited by tetryds

The real deal:

the KSP rebuild (stockish):

Like stated previously, requires IR and Firespitter. I minimized the amount of parts used from them to the free moving docking washer, a propellor motor and gear. Based on an ACTUAL UAV, that flies in the real atmosphere, really the only reason I put it here even though it's not completely stock.

Craft

(Uploads may take a while, video is taxing to upload)

The real deal:

the KSP rebuild (stockish):

Like stated previously, requires IR and Firespitter. I minimized the amount of parts used from them to the free moving docking washer, a propellor motor and gear. Based on an ACTUAL UAV, that flies in the real atmosphere, really the only reason I put it here even though it's not completely stock.

Craft

(Uploads may take a while, video is taxing to upload)

Oh, sorry for not answering to that, can you make a version using KAX? I have it already :)

Edit: and I just noticed I also have the stock IR here!

Edited by tetryds

Planes, planes, and more planes. They're fun, but a lot of the newstock aerodynamic detractors say it will make it hard to launch crazy things into orbit. So how about an unwieldy rocket payload! I give you the Cowper Station core.

13940109673_1d1a7e8056_o.png

Download link: http://1drv.ms/1xklgog

It needs to be delivered to Low Kerbin Orbit in one piece, preferably with the LFO and monopropellant tanks full. No breaking it down for orbital assembly, that would make a wobbly station! I've not supplied a launcher, I can if you really want but I think it's more interesting to see what you come up with.

Planes, planes, and more planes. They're fun, but a lot of the newstock aerodynamic detractors say it will make it hard to launch crazy things into orbit. So how about an unwieldy rocket payload! I give you the Cowper Station core.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7373/13940109673_1d1a7e8056_o.png

Download link: http://1drv.ms/1xklgog

It needs to be delivered to Low Kerbin Orbit in one piece, preferably with the LFO and monopropellant tanks full. No breaking it down for orbital assembly, that would make a wobbly station! I've not supplied a launcher, I can if you really want but I think it's more interesting to see what you come up with.

That is cool, but you need to give me the entire craft, payload + launcher.

In this challenge I fix and tweak crafts, don't build them.

Also please, avoid setting goals for your submissions, I will fly planes and bring rocket payloads to LKO, that's all.

I will make the rockets part more clear on the OP now.

Oh, sorry for not answering to that, can you make a version using KAX? I have it already :)

Edit: and I just noticed I also have the stock IR here!

I'll rebuild it tonight or tomorrow to fit a KAX engine, but doesn't KAX require Firespitter?

It already flies, only added a radial decoupler to fix a small FAR glitch.

Stock: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pubuutohak...Daf.craft?dl=0

FAR: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2u5msz2vu...FAR.craft?dl=0

wow, I did not expect that thing to ever fly with FAR. but hey, it's ridiculous and it's flyable, so I am happy anyways!

It's always fun to make something absolutely ridiculous and stupid fly and show it to others.

Edited by BoobyTrapGaming

It uses the Firespitter .dll but it doesn't need the raft of Firespitter parts.

Ah, then I'll likely have to lose the landing gear and the engine and replace them for KAX parts, or stock parts. Going to work now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.