[1.2.2] Contract Pack: Bases and Stations 3.6.1 (30/04/2017) (formerly Kerbin Space Station)

severedsolo

...What were you trying to do, add political assassination missions?

Lol, actually hits ordered from jealous spouses and lovers.

You'd have to take the target to the destination and then make sure they didn't make it home.

I wish I was at least competent in coding, I'd love to do add in the functionality to make it so that when you replace a faulty part on your space station, it breaks the part and you have to physically remove it and add a new one with KIS/KAS.

Oh man me too. I would love to do some kind of DangIt integration, I wouldn't even know where to start though.

One thing I have noticed, and not sure if you addressed it already. Last week I noticed that Crew Rotation contracts don't actually require you to rotate any crew. I docked with the required number of Kerbals, then undocked and it was waiting on me to return them home. Not sure if that's just something that isn't possible to test for in CC, or if it's a bug you fixed recently.

It's not a bug it's a feature. It's basically a throwback to the old (non expression based) way of doing things. There is a way I can target specific kerbals to come home, but I haven't really tried it yet. I'm hoping to get it working for a cool new mission. At the moment though, I just want things basically working in 2.0.

On that subject....

You may have noticed that development has been... slow to say the least recently, with not many new missions being added. The main reason for this, is that when I first started this pack, I wasn't very good at this, so basically copy/pasted most of it from the CC wiki (usage notes and all). This made it difficult to change anything as I couldn't really see what was going on at each line.

THEN I introduced Mun and Minmus stations. This tripled my workload. Mistakes happened (especially when I forgot to copy things over to all the other contracts for other bodies). the last 10 or so pages of this thread are testament to that. I'd like to thank you all for bearing with me.

From an end user point of view, not much is going to change. All the old contracts are still there, all of the features (basically) work. What you MAY notice, is that contracts will now reference your vessel by name, and that they will generate much more often. However, trust me when I say that this has been a lot of work, basically the whole system has been completely overhauled, and brought kicking and screaming up to date. It's cleaner, leaner and (hopefully) better.

New features are coming I promise, but for now I just wanted to get everything working with the new code base.

Without further ado:

Kerbin Space Station 2.0 Released!

Make sure you have no active KSS contracts before upgrading. Do a full delete/reinstall or things will go wrong.

Contract Changes

Each body no longer has it's own set of contracts. Instead one contract is used for all Maintenance missions. The target station will be selected based on certain criteria being met. (Usually that it has some crew).

Maintenance contracts will now reference your target station by name. (this is the "friendly name" you give your craft in KSP. So don't confuse yourself by calling them all "Station Core" like I do.)

Station Science Compatibility fixed (thanks tito13kfm and BlackSoldierB)

ScienceExperimentModule now works (thanks Mister Spock)

Station Core Docking Port will no longer appear in the VAB (thanks - whoever suggested it - sorry you've dropped off my list. Let me know and I'll credit you properly).

Contracts will now generate much more often.

Rewards Re-Balanced

Various other bugfixes/little things I've probably forgotten about.

Dependencies

You MUST use Contract Configurator 1.2.1 or higher. Very bad things will happen if you try earlier versions.

Known Issues

ScienceExperimentModule may require a scene change before it will complete once you recover the science at KSC. This is a minor enough issue that I let it through the net. I think it's a CC bug and nightingale is investigating.

Life Support checking is... sloppy to say the least. Don't rely on the pack telling you to send up a crew only when you have LS on board. Check first (working on this)

Edited by severedsolo

Severedsolo, congrats on the big new release! It sounds great. Thanks for all your time and effort!

A couple questions before I install. My three space stations all feature the core docking part. Your post says you've removed that part from the VAB. Will this change break my existing stations?

Also, I'm not entirely sure which contracts are yours. Right now I have that do-science-on-the-KSS contract, so I'll delete that. But I also have a contract to land a base on the Mun; I assume that's not yours? Yours relate solely to space stations in orbit around Kerbin, Mun and Minmus, correct?

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Also, I'm not entirely sure which contracts are yours. Right now I have that do-science-on-the-KSS contract, so I'll delete that. But I also have a contract to land a base on the Mun; I assume that's not yours? Yours relate solely to space stations in orbit around Kerbin, Mun and Minmus, correct?

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Existing vessels are fine, the part still exists, you just can't use it on new vessels any more.

Base contracts are squad not mine. Mine will be:

"Launch the Kerbin/Mun/Minmus Space Station"

"Space Station Crew Rotation"

Repair/Replace a faulty power module"

Evacuate the KSS

Do a supply run to the KSS

Do science on the KSS

I'm probably forgetting one, but yeah mine are the space station contracts.

Thanks for the update! Will it recognize existing stations (e.g. launched under previous versions) as valid targets for maintenance contracts?

Also, if I have a "Launch Mun station" contract, may I move my old station from Kerbin orbit to Mun orbit (and then replace it with a newer one in Kerbin orbit)? Or does it have to be a brand new station to fulfill the contract? If I can, will I still have maintenance contracts for both stations?

It will recognise existing stations. If for some reason it doesn't, the failsafe will kick in, and it will offer the "launch a new station" mission - switch to your existing vessel and it will be tagged properly

As to moving existing stations, I don't recommend it,

Best case the vessel will be tagged both as the KSS and MSs - so you'll only get maintenance contracts for that one station and not your new kss (it won't offer the KSS mission because it will detect that LKOStationNEW still exists) - worst case two definitions will break the vessel definitions and the contracts won't work. (Although I would hope the failsafe would kick in then, I can't guarantee it)

Edited by severedsolo

I have an odd situation.

I have two contracts:

Build a new surface outpost on the Mun

Launch the Kerbin Space Station

First issue, the Kerbin Space Station still references the "With module: Docking Node", but you said you removed it. So should/can I just ignore this?

Second issue: The Mun outpost will contain enough parts to fulfill the space station contract as well. What will happen when I move the Mun station from orbit to the Mun?

Third issue: The Space Station contract says the following in the Contract Window + (by DMagic):

(in green)Have one of the following power generators

Have a Science Lab on board

Include a cupola (optional)

When I go into the Mission Control, it says:

Have one of the following power genreators: Complete

1 or more solar panels: Incomplete

1 or more generators: Incomplete

Would be very interested in hearing the answers.

Anyway, I'm going to launch my Mun base and see what happens, I'll let you know here.

Edit: Well, both contracts were fulfilled. Now that the base is sitting on the Mun, what's going to happen to the resupply missions?

Edit 2: Well, not sure why, but I just got the same contract again. and this time, I have TWO other space station contracts: Minmus and the Mun.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

First issue, the Kerbin Space Station still references the "With module: Docking Node", but you said you removed it. So should/can I just ignore this?

docking node refers to any docking port. (you can blame ksp for that one, it just draws on the internal name)

Second issue: The Mun outpost will contain enough parts to fulfill the space station contract as well. What will happen when I move the Mun station from orbit to the Mun?

Whichever vessel causes the mission to be complete will be tagged as lkostationnew - and in theory be eligible for maintenance missions (subject to certain checks - see below)

Third issue: The Space Station contract says the following in the Contract Window + (by DMagic):

(in green)Have one of the following power generators

Have a Science Lab on board

Include a cupola (optional)

If you meant that it isn't telling you which power generators you need, that's because you already fulfilled the parameter. (workaround for a CC

problem)

Edit: Well, both contracts were fulfilled. Now that the base is sitting on the Mun, what's going to happen to the resupply missions?

Edit 2: Well, not sure why, but I just got the same contract again. and this time, I have TWO other space station contracts: Minmus and the Mun.

The contracts have a built in sanity logic, which I call "the failsafe"

- Basically, it will check for a vessel with the correct tag, then it will check if it's orbiting. In your case because you landed your "space station" - the logic failed because it knows it isn't orbiting.

When that happens, the failsafe assumes something went wrong, and offers the contract again.

On a side note, well done for landing a science lab!

Thanks for making this ... but I think it's pretty lame that the changelog stopped at V. 1.4. and you are at 2.0.1 already

Woops. Fixed now, thanks.

Edited by severedsolo

Do you have plans for more contract types?

I built a minimal station so I am hoping for contracts to expand it.

Such as

Expand Kerbal carrying capacity to X kerbals

Upgrade power production to Y e/s

Add materials bay/goo/any other experiment

Take tourists to the station

From a gameplay perspective it wouldn't make much sense to add multiples of the same experiement, although you might be able to get away with a couple.

And the expanding the station missions would have to have some king of limit rather than making you build 500 kerbal, hundreds of parts monstrosities.

I'm always open to suggestions!

Current plans are:

Extra crew capacity if the station is full

Emergency medical evacuation (would require you to return a specific Kerbal)

Power production is a difficult one, as I can't tell how much power you are actually producing (I don't think so anyway, not 100% up to date on the latest CC changes)

If you set your vessel type to station, nightingales tourism pack will give you missions to send tourists up

Sorry if this is a pesky question... I have the old version (1.something) installed in my career game. It should be safe to update as long as I have no active/offered contracts from this pack, right? So if I open my game, decline any contracts from this pack, terminate any contracts from this pack which I might have accepted (but not completed), and then save... It should then be safe for me to delete the old Kerbin Space Station folder and copy over the new one. Is that correct?

Sorry if this is a pesky question... I have the old version (1.something) installed in my career game. It should be safe to update as long as I have no active/offered contracts from this pack, right? So if I open my game, decline any contracts from this pack, terminate any contracts from this pack which I might have accepted (but not completed), and then save... It should then be safe for me to delete the old Kerbin Space Station folder and copy over the new one. Is that correct?

I don't think offered contracts are a problem - CC regenerates offered contracts anyway, but active ones will definitely cause you issues. You SHOULD be ok if you have no active contracts, although you may need to decline a few times. I can't make any promises to be honest, but the worst that should happen is these contracts will stop generating.

Edit: but you should read the messages below this one.

Edited by severedsolo

Haven't seen any follow on contracts for my stations yet. Have the lead times / cool down times been reduced yet for the station maintenance/ crew rotation missions?

Haven't seen any follow on contracts for my stations yet. Have the lead times / cool down times been reduced yet for the station maintenance/ crew rotation missions?

They have... but I am seeing the same problem. I'm working on tracking it down now, bear with me.

Edit: Found it. CC is throwing NREs when trying to load my contracts. Does this happen with CC 1.2.4? Nightingale mentions that he fixed an issue with ContractVesselTracker. (which I think is what is causing my problem).

Edit2: ok not fixed in 1.2.4. I've reported it to nightingale we'll see what happens.

Edited by severedsolo

They have... but I am seeing the same problem. I'm working on tracking it down now, bear with me.

Edit: Found it. CC is throwing NREs when trying to load my contracts. Does this happen with CC 1.2.4? Nightingale mentions that he fixed an issue with ContractVesselTracker. (which I think is what is causing my problem).

Edit2: ok not fixed in 1.2.4. I've reported it to nightingale we'll see what happens.

I'm currently using CC 1.2.3 and seeing exceptions related to KSS contracts.

Line 28247: [WRN 22:55:57.614] ContractConfigurator.ConfiguredContract: Error loading contract for contract type 'KerbinLSResupply'. The contract type either failed to load or was uninstalled.

Line 29022: [WRN 23:02:14.770] ContractConfigurator.ConfiguredContract: Error loading contract for contract type 'KerbinLSResupply'. The contract type either failed to load or was uninstalled.

Line 29343: [WRN 23:03:22.690] ContractConfigurator.ConfiguredContract: Error loading contract for contract type 'KerbinLSResupply'. The contract type either failed to load or was uninstalled.

Line 29709: [WRN 23:03:37.501] ContractConfigurator.ConfiguredContract: Error loading contract for contract type 'KerbinLSResupply'. The contract type either failed to load or was uninstalled.

Line 30214: [WRN 23:04:04.942] ContractConfigurator.ConfiguredContract: Error loading contract for contract type 'KerbinLSResupply'. The contract type either failed to load or was uninstalled.

Line 32750: [WRN 23:48:13.419] ContractConfigurator.ConfiguredContract: Error loading contract for contract type 'KerbinLSResupply'. The contract type either failed to load or was uninstalled.

Alright, we have a handle on this.

Basically, somebody (who's name may or may not start with s, and end in everedsolo), changed the contract names in 2.0....

Sooo, if your save happened to reference a contract that was no longer there.... the new update won't work for you.

Unfortunately, this is not the sort of thing I can push a hotfix for, and everybody goes home happy. If i fix it for some, I break it for those of you it is working for.

Therefore - I have a build that SHOULD fix the problem, but please only install it if you are having this issue. Once nightingale releases the next Contract Configurator, we can all go back to the official build.

https://github.com/severedsolo/KerbinSpaceStation/releases/tag/2.0.1s