I discovered something awesome you can do with the offset tool

mythbusters844

So, sorry if this was mentioned before, but I discovered* that you can offset the root part of a craft with the offset tool. This doesn't seem like a useful thing at first, but it lets you overcome those annoying times when the camera just doesn't let you move the rocket to where you want to inside the VAB. Or...you can do this:

Ot3AVsB.png

Yes, this is a craft offset almost 15 kilometers away from the KSC, which is pretty far away[citation needed]. It's amazing, and offers tons of possibilities (like starting a boat, barge, etc. in the water). The way you do this is by selecting the offset tool (obviously), clicking on the root part, then "grabbing" an axis of the tool and moving the mouse up, perpendicular to where the axis is pointing. Done correctly, it should let you offset whatever craft a ridiculous distance away (it clips through the VAB or SPH walls). I don't know if it allows you to start a craft in the air, but theoretically it should be possible.

TL;DR: You can offset a craft's root part to move it really far away, holmes.

*I discovered this quite a while ago, but I was too shy to post it until now

Edited by mythbusters844

Oh my god, this is awesome. Have you tried experimenting with it some more?

I'd love to see this process used to give crafts a boost 15 km into the air... :P

Yeah, I used it to set a missile to start out 15 km away from the KSC. I launched it and destroyed a few buildings (after a lot of attempts) :cool:.

q4ajcwo.png

o_o

ok, i've been gone a while. I did not see there was an offset tool. Ok. You know what these means? There's gonna be a lot more obsurdity. Now that i'm not confined to vab walls. Stay tuned.

You've gone and doomed us all, OP!

O_o

Ok, I've been gone a while. I did not see there was an offset tool. Ok. You know what these means? There's gonna be a lot more obsurdity. Now that I'm not confined to VAB walls. Stay tuned.

6f6.gif

So, who's going to be the first person to put something in space with only this trick? :cool:

upper left corner next to the parts lists.

also, it seems the supports will just explode the ship on launch if it is too far up. i could not get it higher than 1000 m, i ran out of screen space to drag the mouse

upper left corner next to the parts lists.

also, it seems the supports will just explode the ship on launch if it is too far up. i could not get it higher than 1000 m, i ran out of screen space to drag the mouse

You're aware you can move it to the side too, right? :)

Wow, this is an amusing trick. Sad I didn't discover it first!
I'm surprised with how long we've had it that it wasn't discovered before. Neat find!

Thanks!

An interesting thing: If you use this out the front door of the VAB, so far that the marker disappears, you can launch from space. The curvature of Kerbin takes you all the way out of the atmosphere, allowing you to do very interesting things. It doesn't always work, but I found it a while ago. I'll get a screenshot up in a bit, maybe tomorrow or something.

i tried diagonally. the gizmo disappears after its so far away too.

Yeah. The key here is to do it all in a single mouse movement. You should try and scroll up so that the root part is barely in view of the camera and then click on the axis and drag the mouse to the top of the screen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.