Advanced Aircraft, Building Techniques And Help

V8jester

On February 5, 2016 at 10:42 PM, Avalon304 said:

Tutorials are great... but building in this game is tedious. (Unless you want to step by step build each plane...) I just hunt around for prebuilt planes to fly and blow up with BDArmory. Thanks anyway.

Same man 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2015 at 0:34 PM, V8jester said:

Hey @V8jester,

Is this engine config still workable in 1.0.5/latest engine modules, etc.? I'm starting to play with it to make some other VTOLS, but it doesn't play with Throttle Controlled Avionics.

6 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Hey @V8jester,

Is this engine config still workable in 1.0.5/latest engine modules, etc.? I'm starting to play with it to make some other VTOLS, but it doesn't play with Throttle Controlled Avionics.

It's basically identical to the normal FS rotor. Except the power output / lift capacity, SAS torque and texture. I don't tend to use TCS much (good mod though) but whatever the FS rotor can do. Mine should simply just lift a bit more. Now a limitation of both rotors is the max RPM defaults to 500 no matter what you set them to in the SPH. You need to manually tweak the rpm in flight.

edit

also if you are using TCS to balance a craft. Instead try using monopelant tanks as ballast to move you COM inline with your COT. A well balanced craft will outperform an improperly balanced craft using TCS.

if you're just using TCS to hold a hover. Try these two mods. I've personally had better luck with them.

Horizontal Landing Aid - Vertical Velocity Control

Edited by V8jester

2 hours ago, V8jester said:

It's basically identical to the normal FS rotor. Except the power output / lift capacity, SAS torque and texture. I don't tend to use TCS much (good mod though) but whatever the FS rotor can do. Mine should simply just lift a bit more. Now a limitation of both rotors is the max RPM defaults to 500 no matter what you set them to in the SPH. You need to manually tweak the rpm in flight.

edit

also if you are using TCS to balance a craft. Instead try using monopelant tanks as ballast to move you COM inline with your COT. A well balanced craft will outperform an improperly balanced craft using TCS.

if you're just using TCS to hold a hover. Try these two mods. I've personally had better luck with them.

Horizontal Landing Aid - Vertical Velocity Control

Thank you -- that gives some good guidance. I glanced at the configs between the main rotors, and it looks like many of the KAX audio cues and other features are added in. I was interested in seeing if whatever hooks TCA uses to define "what" the engine is (main, balanced, maneuver, etc.) could be enabled in some way.

Another amazing tool for balancing is the RCS build aid. My first craft using this was rock solid out of the gate. I can't imagine not using this for everything that needs to hover or maneuver in space.

• 4 weeks later...
Spoiler

YKF-18b 'Mikya'

Spoiler

jASmu8T.png

YKF-18b/c 'Mikya'

YKF-18b/c 'Mikya' is a fifth generation multirole fighter developed by Yukobania Ind. Mikya was conceptualized primarily as a ground attack aircraft carrier fighter with minimal size and capable of standard payload. It was intended to fulfill the ground role that the YKF-17b Striker only partially took and become the next standard carrier ground fighter for the fifth generation advancement.
The team behind the recognised YKG series that specialized in ground attack aircrafts, was given the task to develop Mikya. The major challenges presented was; a low budget for lower cost, small wingspan for saving space, capable of standard payload, and has fifth generation standards.
The result was the 18b, the first variant of Mikya. Although achieving most of its goals, it lacked sorely in speed. This issue was fixed with the 18c variant, that added two turbo ramjet engines to boost the speed (as Jeb famously said: Moar Boosters).
The Mikya exceeded expectations and was lauded by the airforce. Although designed for ground attack, it became superior in its agility and formidability in both combat states. It earned its recognition as a multirole carrier fighter and went on to replace many of the previous generation fighters.

WN2ZCIF.pngCfg2UNU.png
eXk5BOg.png

YKF-17c 'Striker'

Spoiler

dwBAz0g.png

YKF-17c 'Striker'

YKF-17c 'Striker' is a sixth generation multirole superfighter developed by Yukobania Ind. It was designed before the Third Kerbal War by RSS prodigy genius Satoshi Imahara. Satoshi, who is renowned as 'The Starchild of the Rising Sun', caught the attention of Yuko who invited him to design a superfighter. He was drawn and inspired by the legendary Striker Series and its successes, which led him to work with Striker designer and engineer Ruvo Kerman. The rest of the Striker team was in the meantime working on Vulta.
Together with Ruvo, the duo pulled core design elements of the Striker-B and produced the remarkably advance Striker-C. In addition to being substantially larger than its predecessors, it features an experimental advance dual cockpit by Baha Dynamics and a new VTOL system designed by Satoshi and delivered by QuizTech.
A major obstacle was the low speed of the aircraft due to its weight. Satoshi and Ruvo designed an entire new engine, which was later produced by Red Solar. This highly experimental advance afterburner engine launched Striker-C to supersonic speeds with incredible efficiency.
Striker-C's additions and weaponry include; Inline Radar, two Specialized ECM Jammers, Dual 20mm Inline Vulcans, Weapon Bay capacity of 9 LRAA, Aerial Docking Node and two Auxiliary Thrust Engines. All these together make Striker-C one of the most formidable early sixth generation fighter. Its demonstration garnered acclaimed, exceeding Yuko's expectations. Like Zolts, Striker-C was too expensive to produce and became highly exclusive to ace pilots.

K8vywjF.pngcAj8eea.pngbJhOw6m.pngNd0b2nS.png

xbCZjqW.png

DISCLAIMER: 1# I USE INFINITE FUEL AND RCS TO MAKE SURE THE MASS DOESN'T MOVE
                              (THE THRUST AND LIFT IS CLOSE PERFECT BALANCE)
                         2# I'M NOT A SUPER DESIGNER IN AIRCRAFTS
                         3# I DON'T CLAIM TO BE THE BEST WRITER, IF THERE'S ANY LANGUAGE MISTAKE PLEASE NOTIFY ME

Edited by victor tan

3 hours ago, victor tan said:
  Hide contents

YKF-18b 'Mikya'

Hide contents

jASmu8T.png

YKF-18b/c 'Mikya'

YKF-18b/c 'Mikya' is a fifth generation multirole fighter developed by Yukobania Ind. Mikya was conceptualized primarily as a ground attack aircraft carrier fighter with minimal size and capable of standard payload. It was intended to fulfill the ground role that the YKF-17b Striker only partially took and become the next standard carrier ground fighter for the fifth generation advancement.
The team behind the recognised YKG series that specialized in ground attack aircrafts, was given the task to develop Mikya. The major challenges presented was; a low budget for lower cost, small wingspan for saving space, capable of standard payload, and has fifth generation standards.
The result was the 18b, the first variant of Mikya. Although achieving most of its goals, it lacked sorely in speed. This issue was fixed with the 18c variant, that added two turbo ramjet engines to boost the speed (as Jeb famously said: Moar Boosters).
The Mikya exceeded expectations and was lauded by the airforce. Although designed for ground attack, it became superior in its agility and formidability in both combat states. It earned its recognition as a multirole carrier fighter and went on to replace many of the previous generation fighters.

WN2ZCIF.pngCfg2UNU.png
eXk5BOg.png

YKF-17c 'Striker'

Hide contents

dwBAz0g.png

YKF-17c 'Striker'

YKF-17c 'Striker' is a sixth generation multirole superfighter developed by Yukobania Ind. It was designed before the Third Kerbal War by RSS prodigy genius Satoshi Imahara. Satoshi, who is renowned as 'The Starchild of the Rising Sun', caught the attention of Yuko who invited him to design a superfighter. He was drawn and inspired by the legendary Striker Series and its successes, which led him to work with Striker designer and engineer Ruvo Kerman. The rest of the Striker team was in the meantime working on Vulta.
Together with Ruvo, the duo pulled core design elements of the Striker-B and produced the remarkably advance Striker-C. In addition to being substantially larger than its predecessors, it features an experimental advance dual cockpit by Baha Dynamics and a new VTOL system designed by Satoshi and delivered by QuizTech.
A major obstacle was the low speed of the aircraft due to its weight. Satoshi and Ruvo designed an entire new engine, which was later produced by Red Solar. This highly experimental advance afterburner engine launched Striker-C to supersonic speeds with incredible efficiency.
Striker-C's additions and weaponry include; Inline Radar, two Specialized ECM Jammers, Dual 20mm Inline Vulcans, Weapon Bay capacity of 9 LRAA, Aerial Docking Node and two Auxiliary Thrust Engines. All these together make Striker-C one of the most formidable early sixth generation fighter. Its demonstration garnered acclaimed, exceeding Yuko's expectations. Like Zolts, Striker-C was too expensive to produce and became highly exclusive to ace pilots.

K8vywjF.pngcAj8eea.pngbJhOw6m.pngNd0b2nS.png

xbCZjqW.png

DISCLAIMER: 1# I USE INFINITE FUEL AND RCS TO MAKE SURE THE MASS DOESN'T MOVE
                              (THE THRUST AND LIFT IS CLOSE PERFECT BALANCE)
                         2# I'M NOT A SUPER DESIGNER IN AIRCRAFTS
                         3# I DON'T CLAIM TO BE THE BEST WRITER, IF THERE'S ANY LANGUAGE MISTAKE PLEASE NOTIFY ME

Those are fantastic! And the presentation is some of the best I've ever seen on the forums. Really nice work

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, cobhc333 said:

Why Hello V8jester! It is good to see you have come this far in KSP and all the other great mods in general. Keep up all of the amazing work and keep growing that talent!

Thanks brother man. Really appreciate that.

On 4/1/2015 at 7:21 PM, Vashts said:

Welcome to the forums, we come here every day. You learn to live like an astronaut in the forums where we play. And if you're hungry for what you see, download it eventually. You can try our spacecraft and you can take-'em for free.

In the forums, welcome to the forums watch it bring you to your, sha-na-na-na-na-na-na-na knees, knees.

56 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Thanks brother man. Really appreciate that.

Brotherman.jpg I have no idea why I did this.

Anyways, I've always like your craft, V8. Though some of them might have flaws in the beginning, they always turn out to perform perfectly. To add to that, they look like they have an extremely low part count (in comparison to others, such as Zekes or Whackjob). Very well done!

Edited by Matuchkin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On July 12, 2016 at 0:50 PM, JDarksword said:

Is there any place to download the X-47? It looks really nice.

I apologize for the very late reply. I must have missed this in my alert emails (with work I receive a ton of email every day)

Unfortunatly I stopped posting downloads for my crafts. Too many troubleshooting issues for people, and most of my crafts are in excess of 150 - 200 parts this requiring a substantial computer. Instead I try to keep my mod list as current as I can and provide links. I know it's not what everyone wants. But I'm also around to help people figure out how to reproduce my creations on there own. You know teach a man to fish kind of mentality I guess :)

If you'd like some help building something that's what this thread was really intended for. And I'm always reachable over PM for more detailed conversations as well.

16 hours ago, V8jester said:

How do you mean? Just the video or a more detailed breakdown of how it's built in the projects section?

Maybe a little of both, but certainly an update of the craft, etc. too. The Rotor Expansion pack has brought it back into my mind in a big way.

1 hour ago, Beetlecat said:

Maybe a little of both, but certainly an update of the craft, etc. too. The Rotor Expansion pack has brought it back into my mind in a big way.

I'll try and get the projects section in the OP updated with more info on the V4, when I have some extra time..... (Extra time wouldn't that be amazing :)) But I will probably take down any craft downloads as with 1.1.3 they are now defunct. I am really steering away from sharing craft files as it is just too unstable with mod / game updates breaking stuff far too frequently. That's why I'd rather just show people how I built it, so they can build one themselves.

Hello, v9jester.

This design is a extremly heavy carrier. It is large and fast, max speed being mach 3.4 and flys at all jet burning altitude. 

Z2mxaZ2mxa

mods - mk4 - tweakscale - adjustable landing gear - bdarmoury - b9 procedural wings - might be more. 

-Blockicus ROCicus

ALSO can you tell me how to add the craft file?

Edited by Blockicus

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2015 at 9:41 AM, V8jester said:

How To Hit 60-100 FPS

Reveal hidden contents

My system specs

KSP 1.0.5 x64

Windows 10 Pro

MSI Gaming 5 Mother Board

Intel i7 4790K 4.4 GHZ

PNY Geforce GTX 970 4 GB

G-Skill Trident X DDR3 PC 1866 Ram 16GB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD SATA Drive

With all my mods installed, running at 11GB of ram usage and 60-100FPS - This depends greatly on part count of the ships you are flying, or ships you are near

OpenGL, DirectX and Popupwindow

Windows 10 does not run KSP using DirectX9 properly. This causes a performance drop as well as adverse effects when using Scatterer. To correct this issue I run KSP in DirectX9 by adding " -dx9" to the end of my shortcut target field. This is not the best memory friendly option. But if you are running x64 and you have the available memory, this will run the game the smoothest.

KSP doesn't like fast switching (Alt-Tab). To make it fast switch smoothly as well as gain a minor FPS boost. " -popupwindow" allows you to run in borderless windowed mode. You'll need to turn off "full Screen Mode" in game. Also be sure to set your screen resolution to your monitor / TV's native resolution, or the window won't fit. This may not be the best solution for everyone as the native resolution may be higher then you can run KSP at smoothly. To run in Borderless windowed mode add " -popupwindow" to the end of your shortcut target field.

A trick that often helps computers with good dedicated graphics cards (sometimes onboard graphics) but not so great processors, is OpenGL. This does present issues with some visual mods if you want to run Scatterer, Do not run OpenGL. OpenGL allows you to transfer more of the work load from your processor to the video card. Be aware that this is affected by the amount of dedicated memory and the speed of your graphics card. Mods will affect this limit. To run in OpenGL mode add " -forceopengl" to the end of the shortcut target field. You can edit your KSP shortcut target field by right clicking the KSP shortcut and you will see "Target Field" listed on the top of the open window.

Now Popupwindow, OpenGL or forcing a specific version of DirectX can run together. You just can't run OpenGL alongside DirectX. It's one or the other. Just don't forget the spaces, your target field should look like this (KSP.exe -popupwindow -forceopengl)

Lastly I do not use it but many people have had good luck forcing DirectX11, to bring down there memory footprint. KSP Natively runs using DirectX 9 which is more universally accepted by everyone's hardware. But if you want to give this a try place " -force-d3d11" in the shortcut target field in place of OpenGL.

KSP Settings

Max physics delta time per frame: 0.03 - This helps to smooth game play a ton

Max Persistant debris: 25 - This helps if you are lagging while in debris fields

Terrain detail: High

SM3 Terrain Shaders: Enabled

Scatter Density 100%

Render Quality: Fantastic

Texture Quality: Full Res

Fallback Parts Shader: True

Aerodynamic FX Quality: Normal

Edge Highlighting (PPFX): Enabled

Surface FX: Enabled

Screen Resolution: 1920x1080 - Set to native resolution of your monitor / TV

Full Screen: Disabled - Disable if you're using -popupwindow

Anti Aliasing: x2

V-sync: Don't Sync - This is the biggest performance hog out of everything

Frame Limit: 180FPS

Pixel Light Count: 8

Shadow Cascade: 4

Windows Page File Settings

You can Adjust the size of your "virtual memory" in windows. Sometimes this helps

Win 7 Page File Adjustment

Does this still work for KSP 1.1.3?

On ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎19 at 0:09 PM, V8jester said:

Did you try any of it before you asked?

I didn't try because I didn't want to break the game

9 minutes ago, Murican_Jeb said:

I didn't try because I didn't want to break the game

Whenever you mod a game you run a bit of risk breaking it. In answer to your question "Yes" you can use most everything that is listed under that tab. Also remember that I am posting my system specs along with how I achieve 60-100 FPS. This wont take a game running at 10-15 fps and catapult it to awesomeness. I'm simply outlining my game settings and there general effect on the game. Or how to run OpenGL / forcing Directx 9 and running the game in Popup window.

That's why I asked if you tried any of the listed info first. Everything outlined is not game breaking just general game setup tips to run the game smoother.

• 3 months later...
On 10/07/2015 at 3:24 AM, V8jester said:

Hey thanks man :) and actually I don't use FAR. I just got used to the standard aero and just stuck with it. It can cause some issues at times but by clipping wings into the fuselage you can move / aim the COL fairly easily enough. I've been wanting to start making tutorials but I'm worried about coming across as a know it all. Also don't have a headset so I'm stuck anyway. And actually in your opinion if I ever do a tutorial what do you think would be most helpful to people? IR, VTOL design visual stuff like Scatterer and AVP?

Oh and none of my current tilt rotors need rcs to stabilize. The do however use quite a bit of SAS to stabilize. That was such a long process to get them balanced just right.

I worked out very quickly that the better balance a plane design has, the less RCS or SAS needed to begin with. Now taking that into mind, making a high altitude plane stable when using FAR, that can get off the runway easy is a whole new ball game. I made huge strides in this area. Say for eg this design:

4130013D724F8398791585BC3A312E46FF8A5CD8

If I were to go into the amount of time simply put into this one design, I could write a 3000 word essay. Even with this design there are still room for improvements...

With that build, I was getting into space very fast. Pretty much would be able to carry one of those huge orange fuel tanks as a pay load. And dump it into space if need be. My biggest issue was heat from simply going so damn fast during re-entry. Flying too well it seems, has it's drawbacks. My solution was to practice slower re-entries to wash off speed. Else I would burn up. As you could imagine, that also meant that I could miss my target landing pad by whole entire continents. By this point though, I had so much reserve fuel with this design, that I could almost do a 2nd power burn back up into space with the 30% remaining fuel.

As you would also know, less weight means that on re-entry, the flight dynamics would change dramatically. Wash off speed early would leave you stranded a continent away from your destination. Or not washing off speed early enough and you end up  on the other side of the planet.... The reason being is that there is a conundrum where a sudden loss of weight (eg payload) and also a loss of fuel, means that it feels like you are now flying a glider instead of a hyper-craft! This makes it incredibly hard to wash off speed and means you literally need air brakes to slow you down on re-entry. Then there is the issue that high dynamic pressure with a light aircraft causes extreme amounts of G on slight adjustments at low altitude. So you effectively need to feather it all the way back. Else it rips itself apart due to the extreme stresses placed on the craft at those speeds. Oh the fun...

It's a shame KSP doesn't have a meta realism mod. eg: FAR / Body and wing materials / Fuel types / Engine types / inbuilt procedural wings etc... Realism to me is what made this game so great. Mods like FAR are what made me play KSP so much.

Edited by B15HOP_xmen

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jester

How do you deal with turning big parts as you do on your OPT protolift??

I am trying to make 20T engines turning 90° to land on VTOL on my OPT SSTO but any of the robotic parts from Magicsmoke industries (Extendatron, pivotron, rotatron or hinge or whatever can't bear such a weight ? and what about strut and auto strut?

Any tricks?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.