Ingame calculator for Kerbal

Phoenix1945

There are lots of stuff around to calculate different aspects of the rocket science. But there is no single program or add-on which can show stuff like launch window, whether to use Hohmann or Bi-elliptic transfer ,delta V calculations or orbit calculations. You have to quit the game to make your calculations most of the time. This game's purpose is to teach science of space exploration, so having a calculator with equations needed with blank variables will help a lot, both for learning the actual science and for saving time. Game has a spectacular tool to visualize the possible outcomes of the equations, so learning the equations like of the Newtonian physics also will be a lot of fun!

Please someone consider to make a calculator add on which might work like nodes in a simulator mode for actual mission planing. This is the missing part of the game. And since its not mandatory to play the game, it wont make the game boring for trill seekers.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98594803@N06/17018223156/

This, shouldn't be hard to implement in game.

Thank you for peeking out.

Edited by Phoenix1945
Photo edit

Have you seen MechJeb (in-game) and KSP TOT (out of the game)?

You don't have to quit KSP; have KSP running on one monitor and run KSP TOT on the other. If you only have one monitor, alt-Tab between them. In both cases, "-popupwindow" is useful.

I know MechJeb, and its literally doing the all the stuff for you. That is not what I want. I want calculations but not AI help to guide the craft. What is the point of playing if it is gong to do it for you?

But I will check KSP TOT.

Alt-tab crashes the game for me, since I have memory leakage problems crashing the game regularly.

Still, an in game calculator will create more attention. We all know how the human brain works, some will not look for the stuff if it is not already in there.

Edited by Phoenix1945
grammar corrections

Have you seen MechJeb (in-game) and KSP TOT (out of the game)?

You don't have to quit KSP; have KSP running on one monitor and run KSP TOT on the other. If you only have one monitor, alt-Tab between them. In both cases, "-popupwindow" is useful.

Nope, KSP TOT. only support 64x, I dont have an 64x operating system. Like most of the world.

OK, you know what MechJeb is capable off but don't want it to serve as an autopilot. Have you considered restraining yourself and simply not using the autopilot part?

And just in case you lack the self-discipline, MechJeb has the build-in option to disable certain parts. Look at the MechJeb manual to see how: http://wiki.mechjeb.com/index.php?title=Manual/Blacklisting_modules

Really, it is not difficult to think out side the box.

OK, you know what MechJeb is capable off but don't want it to serve as an autopilot. Have you considered restraining yourself and simply not using the autopilot part?

And just in case you lack the self-discipline, MechJeb has the build-in option to disable certain parts. Look at the MechJeb manual to see how: http://wiki.mechjeb.com/index.php?title=Manual/Blacklisting_modules

Really, it is not difficult to think out side the box.

I didn't want this just for myself, I was just pointing out a hole in the game. The planning section. That is the actual science part. Otherwise I am capable of calculating staff by myself, a pen and a piece of paper is just fine. The point is attracting every bodies attention. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Edited by Phoenix1945
clearing the intention

I dont have an 64x operating system. Like most of the world.

Like almost nobody you mean ? Any PC older than a core duo is 64 bit compatible. If you play KSP on it I seriously doubt your PC can't run a 64 bit windows.

And to come back on the subject : as Tex_NL & hab136 pointed it to you Mechjeb is not ONLY an autopilot. It has configurable windows that let you display a lot of information and I am always open to suggestion if you want more (as long as you don't expect the change to be done in 24H)

Like almost nobody you mean ? Any PC older than a core duo is 64 bit compatible. If you play KSP on it I seriously doubt your PC can't run a 64 bit windows.

And to come back on the subject : as Tex_NL & hab136 pointed it to you Mechjeb is not ONLY an autopilot. It has configurable windows that let you display a lot of information and I am always open to suggestion if you want more (as long as you don't expect the change to be done in 24H)

First, The issue is not the CPU, its the operating system. It is 32 bit version of windows. So if you have a free version of 64x copy of windows I would gladly take it.

Second, as I stated before I want the system to be informative about science behind the calculations. As always, mechjeb is too convenient on this too. Showing actual formulas and letting people change variables manually should be the goal. I want people to see what happens to an equation when they play with a node from the map or with the equation itself. Even if they are not making anything, with seeing it again and again they would familiarize the science of the stuff.

Look at the picture

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98594803@N06/17018223156/

taken from this

http://disciplinas.stoa.usp.br/pluginfile.php/66104/mod_resource/content/1/OrbitalMechanicsForEngineeringStudents-AerospaceEngineering.pdf

I want them to tweak with this and learn how it works. There are many good stuff can be demonstrated in game and actually help planing for missions. Mechceb is a good mod if you want to relax but it s not designed for this(I think). Also I dont expect any change to be done in 24H, or anything at all. This is just an idea I had for the game. It doesnt even have to be too complex or trough like the textbook above. Its just an example what might be included to the game.

I think Op means you would have a section with the formulas with every step and option to calculate them on the screen. Not just result with no idea where it comes from.

I myself have no idea on any calculation on rocket science, when I make my rockets, I just do it by trial and error.

Edit:

Sended too late :)

Second, as I stated before I want the system to be informative about science behind the calculations. As always, mechjeb is too convenient on this too. Showing actual formulas and letting people change variables manually should be the goal. I want people to see what happens to an equation when they play with a node from the map or with the equation itself. Even if they are not making anything, with seeing it again and again they would familiarize the science of the stuff.

If you want the "easy" way you can just use mechjeb to get the numbers you need without understanding how to get them. If you want to really understand how things work you just have to read about spaceflight and orbital mechanics online and actually do the math yourself.

If someone just provides you with already made equations putting some numbers in those equations doesn't really make you understand how stuff works. You have to understand where the equations actually come from and why do they work. Not just accept the fact that they work somehow magically.

A good place to start is learning basic mechanics for circular(and elliptical) motion. Then you should probably study some orbital mechanics and get familiar with rocket equation. I myself found it fun and good exercise to actually derive rocket equation myself so now I actually know where it comes from and WHY it works. Same with oberth effect. Simple calculations with kinetic energy changes clearly show WHY that effect exists.

TL: DR

If you want to REALLY understand how things work you have to actually study those things yourself and not use some already made calculator.

Many good suggestions, another option...set up a macro or check your keyboard to see if it has a calculator button. I uninstalled mechjeb about a year ago since all I used was the delta and TWR options and now I just calculate myself. Doesn't really take long at all once you got the equations down and you learn how to do such things without being fed the info on a spoon. It's all personal preference though since mechjeb did actually teach me a lot in the first place. Monkey see, monkey do.

Tweety

If you have Windows 7 or 8 your license covers both versions. You can download the iso from MS or anywhere else.

I know.

I think Op means you would have a section with the formulas with every step and option to calculate them on the screen. Not just result with no idea where it comes from.

I myself have no idea on any calculation on rocket science, when I make my rockets, I just do it by trial and error.

Edit:

Sended too late :)

That is what I want, for everyone. Seeing the formulas and actual methods in action you would learn something. They dont even have to be too informative either. Just a peek on whats going on would be enough to spark curiosity.

- - - Updated - - -

http://willems.zenfolio.com/img/s6/v143/p1098195674-3.jpg

These handy little devices allow you to make any calculation you want.

Not helpful, even offensive. Please speak only if you have something worthy to mention.

- - - Updated - - -

If someone just provides you with already made equations putting some numbers in those equations doesn't really make you understand how stuff works. You have to understand where the equations actually come from and why do they work. Not just accept the fact that they work somehow magically.

Its better than not seeing them at all. That way you do see it in action. Its like when they give hints on science in Star trek, you dont do it, you dont understand it but you do get curious about it. That is the point.

- - - Updated - - -

Check out Transfer Window Planner and, if you want readouts but not autopilot, try Kerbal Engineer Redux (what should have been recommended instead of MechJeb ~defense~ in the thread). If you want old-school transfer planning by hand, check out Protractor Continued.

Thank you for the suggestions, I will check them.

Some terrific suggestions here, but I get where the OP is coming from. When you've been playing KSP a while, or if you arrived with an understanding of orbital mechanics, then a lot of things start to feel obvious, but I didn't even know what a periapsis was when I started. KSP is a brilliant educational tool though, and now, a year later, I'm amazed at what I've learnt, but am keen to learn more. A tool that helps you better understand a manoeuvre, or visualise it better, might speed things up for folk.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.