Ariane 5 and other Projects under development

tadeass

What type of Energia rocket you want?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What type of Energia rocket you want?

• Energia Vulkan (Heavy payloads 200,000KG)
    • Energia- Buran (Only rocket, without Buran!) (Medium payloads (100,000KG)
    • Energia Uragan (Medium payloads, 80,000KG) Completly re-usable
    • Energia- M (Light payloads (30,000KG)
    • Energia- XS Surprise :D (Medium-heavy payloads (150,000KG) ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Note: Capacities in KG to LEO.

Ladies, gentlemen, friends, enemies and all kerbonauts, I\'m proud to present you my latest project. The Ariane 5.

After thinking about rockets for orbital operations, unmanned cargo ships I decided the Ariane 5 is the greatest for my (and hopefuly yours too) future operations and supplying the space stations. And I want it make realistic how I can.

So, for project itself.

Plans:

-Complete Ariane 5

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_Transfer_Vehicle

-Working docking module for Automated Transfer Vehicle

And... The most important... Images!

New booster:

arianecomplete.png

arianebas.png

arianecone.png

Actual skin of Ariane 5 textured 3D model:

arianethefinalrenderort.png

arianethefinalrenderper.png

arianethefinalrenderper.png

Last days I worked on the ATV and /russian style/ docking module system. Here are some renders of ATV: (Model isn\'t textured yet, but the panels are)

scaled.php?server=254&filename=65728853.png&res=landing

54838828.png

And renders of docking system:

57119684.png

39638772.png

18241533.png

Legend:

Orange: Half-complete

Green: Complete

Red: I have not started

If you have any questions, contact me with PM.

Me too, i like that big white block look Ariane 5 got (plus a bit of chauvinism, nobody\'s perfect :-X )

Will you include floating point errors ? =P

Can\'t wait for the finished model !

Thanks to everybody. :)

Will you include floating point errors ? =P

Probably I don\'t understand.

Here you can see what I plan:

p5409_9b32ea08d96d4b8e61954c9504eb4c88p5409_9b32ea08d96d4b8e61954c9504eb4c88P28724_p.jpeg

Also, here you can see complete Vulcain engine, I want to finish it like here, too.

ATV on the right.

Ot: I have problems with the texture on boosters, because if you want to use symetry tool on that, it doesn\'t mirror, (surprisingly :D)

Any tips?

Yes, I have plans for it, (SYLDA) but can you tell me your idea?

I also think the Ariane 4 is most reliable form this rocket family, but the Ariane 5 have much more power and sincerely, much more easy to model. :)

I don\'t plan to do all rockets from Ariane family, only the Ariane 5, 4 and 2 or 1.

They? You talk about parts? Anyway, thanks for praise, from you it really have a value. ;)

I work on it from the same reason- I need some reliable rocket for future operations and supplying the space stations.

Yes, I have plans for it, (SYLDA) but can you tell me your idea?

I also think the Ariane 4 is most reliable form this rocket family, but the Ariane 5 have much more power and sincerely, much more easy to model. :)

I don\'t plan to do all rockets from Ariane family, only the Ariane 5, 4 and 2 or 1.

I don\'t have a real idea about the SYLDA with game mechanics. Just make it like the real one ;P

I will definitely build you a shrine on my desk when you make an Ariane 4.

Ok, the texturing progress:

arirender2.png

Also I recorded something and the Ariane 5 will has an original sounds.

First in-game view: (Better then I hoped :) )

screenlq.png

Cant wait :D looks fantastic. Like the little pod on the top. What is the diameter of the rocket? Could be used to send my Mun lander up.

Wow 3 meters? Seems a little large for Ariane 5 on the kerbal scale.

3 meters roughly equates to the bottom of Saturn V :)

Maybe. But need some heavy lifters. got like my Dragonfly Mun lander, that need something that big.

Think the Ariane 4 will be smaller lifter. But time will tell.

Maybe. But need some heavy lifters. got like my Dragonfly Mun lander, that need something that big.

Think the Ariane 4 will be smaller lifter. But time will tell.

Hmmm, with 4 SRB\'s, special fairings and more powerful engine then Vulcain that\'s possible, I think. If you want, I can try it.

Parameters are: (only diameter)

Main stage: 2.75m

Boosters: 1.5m

= 5.75m in diameter

The real Ariane 5 is 5.4m in diameter, but that means really atipical parameters.

Originally boosters was 1m in diameter, but that was really small.

Ariane 4 parameters: (only diameter)

= 4.0m in diameter

Compare that to the Saturn V 1st stage, which was 396.8 inches, which is just a touch over 10 meters in real life.

Somewhere back in the early days, someone decided that translated into 3m for Kerbalization purposes. Maybe it should be bigger. I do know that if you go up to 5m parts, you cannot give them realistic weight values, they just fall apart in the game without massive extra struts

So 3m will work for your rocket fine, but its going to be in a different 'scale'

Compare that to the Saturn V 1st stage, which was 396.8 inches, which is just a touch over 10 meters in real life.

Somewhere back in the early days, someone decided that translated into 3m for Kerbalization purposes. Maybe it should be bigger. I do know that if you go up to 5m parts, you cannot give them realistic weight values, they just fall apart in the game without massive extra struts

So 3m will work for your rocket fine, but its going to be in a different 'scale'

Everytime I can to change the scale, but before it isn\'t complete, we can only speculate.

2.75 is spot on i think. Cargo like the ATV for example would be 1.75 which would be perfect for cargo, fuel and boosting large stations. With all the RCS, solar pannels, gear ect i think everything in kerbal will eventaully need to scale up. some 1mtr capsules with RCS, landing rockets, chutes ect are near imposiable to build in such small scale

Probably I don\'t understand.

A floating point error is when your numbers are so big that they don\'t know where to put the decimal separator (or something like that).

It is a classic problem in computer engineering. I think it is the source of the Kraken in Ksp, for exemple.

Ariane 5\'s first launch was a disaster :( I remember watching the launch on TV when I was younger, did like 1km, started to lean on one side and then exploded, after all the hype around the launch it was sad :\'(

If my info is accurate, engineers on the space program didn\'t anticipate floating point errors, and that made the rocket\'s autopilot go nuts as soon as the rocket left the pad.

Ariane 5\'s first test flight (Ariane 5 Flight 501) on 4 June 1996 failed, with the rocket self-destructing 37 seconds after launch because of a malfunction in the control software.

A data conversion from 64-bit floating point value to 16-bit signed integer value to be stored in a variable representing horizontal bias caused a processor trap (operand error) because the floating point value was too large to be represented by a 16-bit signed integer.

The software was originally written for the Ariane 4 where efficiency considerations (the computer running the software had an 80% maximum workload requirement) led to 4 variables being protected with a handler while 3 others, including the horizontal bias variable, were left unprotected because it was thought that they were 'physically limited or that there was a large margin of error'.

Your project is looking good so far! Do you consider making your parts 'standard width' => 0,5m, 1m, 2m, 3m ?

It looks a bit big when compared to the standard pod... The Ariane 5 is actually surprisingly small (There is a real-size mock up next to where I work).

The SRBs should be 1m diameter (they are 3m in real life, and 1 to 3 is the standard size ration in KSP). The core is 5.46m in RL, so in KSP that should make it around 1.75m so that you can mix it with other part packs and still leaves room for a 1.5m payload.

It would be a bit silly for an Ariane 5 to be as big as a Saturn V. I like mixing and matching my rocket parts, so I\'m afraid I won\'t use it if it\'s not the same scale.

(And after 0.15 is released, you could put a Hermes on top !)

A floating point error is when your numbers are so big that they don\'t know where to put the decimal separator (or something like that).

It is a classic problem in computer engineering. I think it is the source of the Kraken in Ksp, for exemple.

Ariane 5\'s first launch was a disaster :( I remember watching the launch on TV when I was younger, did like 1km, started to lean on one side and then exploded, after all the hype around the launch it was sad :\'(

If my info is accurate, engineers on the space program didn\'t anticipate floating point errors, and that made the rocket\'s autopilot go nuts as soon as the rocket left the pad.

Your project is looking good so far! Do you consider making your parts 'standard width' => 0,5m, 1m, 2m, 3m ?

Ok, thanks for explanation.

I saw that launch too, and I hope your launches with this Ariane will be better. :)

It looks a bit big when compared to the standard pod... The Ariane 5 is actually surprisingly small (There is a real-size mock up next to where I work).

The SRBs should be 1m diameter (they are 3m in real life, and 1 to 3 is the standard size ration in KSP). The core is 5.46m in RL, so in KSP that should make it around 1.75m so that you can mix it with other part packs and still leaves room for a 1.5m payload.

It would be a bit silly for an Ariane 5 to be as big as a Saturn V. I like mixing and matching my rocket parts, so I\'m afraid I won\'t use it if it\'s not the same scale.

(And after 0.15 is released, you could put a Hermes on top !)

You\'re right, probably I must to do some like that.

For the Hermes I have plans and maybe I can start modelling tomorrow and finish that before the ATV, because Hermes is my little favourite. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.