[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

20 hours ago, Poodmund said:

If you look at the Albedo numbers of the bodies in our Solar System, Jupiter is about 3x as reflective as the Moon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bond_albedo#Examples

But Jool's clouds have different colour than Jupiter's (which are mostly white and reddish), so I think reflected light amount would definitely be smaller than in Jupiter's case. 

4 hours ago, Thomassino said:

But Jool's clouds have different colour than Jupiter's (which are mostly white and reddish), so I think reflected light amount would definitely be smaller than in Jupiter's case. 

Jool might not be reflective as Jupiter, no. But Jools size and Laythes proximity would still make for a green daylight at night. The planet takes up a good 30-40% of the sky.

Bkackrack so intake it actual planet shine is possible? What about Kerbin and the Mun? For the longest time I've had this picture in my head of flying above the clouds on a full moon lit night. Itd be incredible. Seeing the clouds and everything glowing with moonshine.

Edited by Motokid600

2 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

When I am playing this in 64k, and it is nighttime, the Sun shows through Kerbin. I don't think if it is reported on the main page or not, just want to know if this is fixable in the cfg.

This has been known for a while, I'll add it in the OP. No workaround yet.

2 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Jool might not be reflective as Jupiter, no. But Jools size and Laythes proximity would still make for a green daylight at night. The planet takes up a good 30-40% of the sky.

Bkackrack so intake it actual planet shine is possible? What about Kerbin and the Mun? For the longest time I've had this picture in my head of flying above the clouds on a full moon lit night. Itd be incredible. Seeing the clouds and everything glowing with moonshine.

Well I don't know about applying these effects to terrain or clouds but, I'm thinking of adding Jool as a second light source for Laythe's skies and ocean's reflections, should look quite good but the lighting on terrain and on the scaled space mesh would have to match or it'll look off.

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

Well I don't know about applying these effects to terrain or clouds but, I'm thinking of adding Jool as a second light source for Laythe's skies and ocean's reflections, should look quite good but the lighting on terrain and on the scaled space mesh would have to match or it'll look off.

That would have been awesome! Can Scatterer possibly do eclipse shadows? That's a little thing that is really missing from KSP right now IMO.

1 hour ago, Thomassino said:

That would have been awesome! Can Scatterer possibly do eclipse shadows? That's a little thing that is really missing from KSP right now IMO.

rbray is cooking up something for the eclipse shadows (on terrains and planets). On my side I'm thinking of a way of making the eclipse shadows work correctly with the atmosphere, with the scattering and all.

For now I'm working on a rings shader, I decided to shamelessly plug in the mie scattering code from proland... and well, here's what it looks like when seen from behind and sunlight is shining through it:

b0UR1Xc.png

Edited by blackrack

2 hours ago, pilot410 said:

First off mod looks amazing I just can't get it to work I drop it in the game data folder and the UI shows up in game but it shows that none of the planets are loading any help? Thanks!

Are you using any other mods? Are there any symptoms?

3 hours ago, pilot410 said:

Thanks for responding! And I'm using EVE and some of the features of avp and I'm not sure if the other galaxy mod might have effect? Thanks! 

I would suggest trying without the galaxy mod first, and maybe trying without any other mods at all, just to be sure.

3 hours ago, AngelLestat said:

Looks amazing Blackrack, great job!

Is a shame that this game never was done with performance in mind. So not sure if I would be able to enjoy it.

As the game is CPU-hungry, you can always try the mod as it primarily taxes your GPU. Most people with good GPUs seem to report a minimal impact on performance.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2015 at 3:21 PM, blackrack said:

rbray is cooking up something for the eclipse shadows (on terrains and planets). On my side I'm thinking of a way of making the eclipse shadows work correctly with the atmosphere, with the scattering and all.

For now I'm working on a rings shader, I decided to shamelessly plug in the mie scattering code from proland... and well, here's what it looks like when seen from behind and sunlight is shining through it:

Shaders applied to rings..... Shaders applie...... Dude that's awesome!

Alright I'm uploading a new version which:

-Adds a fake ocean in the postprocessing shader which is controlled via a variable in the settings file. It replaces the expensive ocean at an altitude of 15 km (tweakable), has the same sun reflection, and the transition between the two is mostly unnoticeable, should also replace the visible ocean floor at an altitude of 70km.

-Adds settings to fade out foam and alpha by distance

-Fixes the extinction barrier effect

-Adds control for the exposure on the edge of the atmosphere separately from the exposure on the planet itself

-Fixes sunglare visible in space and through planets

As always, it's uploading a bit slow so check back in a while.

1 hour ago, Jovzin said:

So I was thinking.

Are there some best settings for scatterer ? Or default settings are the best  ?  

I think that is best answered by saying. Everyone's opinion of "best" can vary significantly. I think Blackrack supplies the settings that are best suited to everyone as a whole. But if you want bigger waves or a lower atmosphere. You may just want to start playing with the settings. Worse case you mess them up and hate them. Just reinstall a fresh copy of scatterer and you are back to normal.

1 hour ago, Jovzin said:

So I was thinking.

Are there some best settings for scatterer ? Or default settings are the best  ?  

12 minutes ago, V8jester said:

I think that is best answered by saying. Everyone's opinion of "best" can vary significantly. I think Blackrack supplies the settings that are best suited to everyone as a whole. But if you want bigger waves or a lower atmosphere. You may just want to start playing with the settings. Worse case you mess them up and hate them. Just reinstall a fresh copy of scatterer and you are back to normal.

I always include the settings I consider best by my own taste, but as V8jester said everyone's definition of best is different so you have to experiment with the settings yourself.

19 hours ago, blackrack said:

-Adds a fake ocean in the postprocessing shader which is controlled via a variable in the settings file. It replaces the expensive ocean at an altitude of 15 km (tweakable), has the same sun reflection, and the transition between the two is mostly unnoticeable, should also replace the visible ocean floor at an altitude of 70km.

What's the setting? I'm using 64k and getting pretty major z-fighting from the ocean when the fake ocean kicks in.

7 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Just tried the new version and it didn't crash! Linux 64bit OpenGL nvidia, unfortunately it didn't do anything magical for the waves and all the usual artefacts were present. Seems to run smooth. When I get some more time I will test the ocean disappearance.

I have a suspicion it might be the foam that's causing these artifacts, I'll do some testing and report back.

4 hours ago, Citizen247 said:

What's the setting? I'm using 64k and getting pretty major z-fighting from the ocean when the fake ocean kicks in.

It's expected, I'm working on a logarithmic depth buffer that should fix this.

19 minutes ago, blackrack said:

It's expected, I'm working on a logarithmic depth buffer that should fix this.

Awesome. No issues with latest build, just this z-fighting from you were talking about. (from orbit) Everything else is peachy

Running forced DirectX11.