[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

blackrack: Thank you for your work on this mod! It really improves the visuals of the game by a lot! A minor bug report: the small calculator icon from RemoteTech (up by the warp controls) is not showing when this mod is active. You can still click there, just the icon is not drawing. Maybe you are not resetting the render state to what is expected? I am on a mac so this is in OpenGL mode. Obviously a minor thing, just thought I'd let you know :)

Does anybody know how to get the value of how much the PQS is faded at any given moment? I'm talking about when it starts fading out to blend into the scaledSpace mesh.

Edited: nevermind, I think I got it.

1 hour ago, kirneh1986 said:

blackrack: Thank you for your work on this mod! It really improves the visuals of the game by a lot! A minor bug report: the small calculator icon from RemoteTech (up by the warp controls) is not showing when this mod is active. You can still click there, just the icon is not drawing. Maybe you are not resetting the render state to what is expected? I am on a mac so this is in OpenGL mode. Obviously a minor thing, just thought I'd let you know :)

Could you try disabling postprocessing/extinction/ocean and see if anything changes?

Edited by blackrack

7 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Could you try disabling postprocessing/extinction/ocean and see if anything changes?

It is still missing with oceans turned off. I'm not sure what the best way to disable postprocessing or extinction is? It is still missing above the 160000 altitude which seems to be the postprocessing cutoff for Kerbin.

32 minutes ago, kirneh1986 said:

It is still missing with oceans turned off. I'm not sure what the best way to disable postprocessing or extinction is? It is still missing above the 160000 altitude which seems to be the postprocessing cutoff for Kerbin.

There are buttons in the atmosphere UI for turning off postprocessing and extinction.

5 hours ago, blackrack said:

Does anybody know how to get the value of how much the PQS is faded at any given moment? I'm talking about when it starts fading out to blend into the scaledSpace mesh.

Edited: nevermind, I think I got it.

There is the _PlanetOpacity that is passed to the shaders as a global shader param.

The last build fixed everything for me, too, both DX9 and 11. Everything is clean and bug free (except for the z fightin) 

The new fake ocean also fixed an ugly glich that happened to me regularly around 60-70km in the earlier build. (It was a major glich covering the whole scene with bits and pieces of the ocean shader).

The mod is becoming absolutely fantastic, blackrack. One question tho, sorry if its been asked be4. Is there a way to add some ambient light to the ocean at night? Had a look at the config but couldnt figure it out. Thanks!

water bugs in version  0.0218 (...215,216) , but I dont have any of it then I use 0.021c (version is totaly ok)

my video mods- texture replacer (latest), EVE (105-4), windows shine, planet shine, distant object

(hardware-videocard Radeon r9290)

afd25845a6d4.png

13 minutes ago, Darkway said:

The last build fixed everything for me, too, both DX9 and 11. Everything is clean and bug free (except for the z fightin) 

The new fake ocean also fixed an ugly glich that happened to me regularly around 60-70km in the earlier build. (It was a major glich covering the whole scene with bits and pieces of the ocean shader).

The mod is becoming absolutely fantastic, blackrack. One question tho, sorry if its been asked be4. Is there a way to add some ambient light to the ocean at night? Had a look at the config but couldnt figure it out. Thanks!

Not yet but it will be added, maybe even with moon light reflections if the performance isn't bad. For the z fighting I'm working on it.

11 minutes ago, cubinator said:

This mod is amazing, here's the things I think could be improved upon:

I'm using the 10x Kerbol mod, EVE, Distant Object Enhancement, and Simple Realism. 

Is this using the latest version?

Edited by blackrack

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

Not yet but it will be added, maybe even with moon light reflections if the performance isn't bad. For the z fighting I'm working on it.

Is this using the latest version?

Yes it is. I know the Known Issues section mentions "RSS might not actually work." Might this be applicable to 10x Kerbol too?

Edit: downloaded via CKAN btw.

Edited by cubinator

28 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Yes it is. I know the Known Issues section mentions "RSS might not actually work." Might this be applicable to 10x Kerbol too?

Edit: downloaded via CKAN btw.

Yep, I should change it to rescale mods. But yeah, I'll look into it when I can, I have other things in mind for now.

12 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Yep, I should change it to rescale mods. But yeah, I'll look into it when I can, I have other things in mind for now.

Cool! I'll try playing around with the settings to see if there are a few fixes there. I believe there was a "shininess" parameter...

Otherwise, the mod is awesome, can't wait to see what else you come up with! :)

2 hours ago, Goliathan said:

These artifacts keep cropping up. it seems to be an issue with the reflection mapping, I'm running Ubuntu 64bit, any workarounds I might try? 

The only thing that seems to work sometimes is spamming the rebuild ocean in the UI or apply settings in the graphics settings until you get an artifact free ocean.

Edited:

I'm uploading a version which minimizes z-fighting on the fake ocean. I implemented a logarithmic buffer but for some reason the precision gains weren't as good as I expected, I switched to using a mesh and attempting to reuse the stock ocean mesh to display the fake ocean but ran into other issues.

In the end I went back to the old dirty trick of moving the clip planes, I moved them only slightly this time and as far as I can tell z-fighting is minimized and there don't seem to be any other problems. Results with RSS/rescale mods may be different. This is only a temporary fix.

Edited by blackrack

Had to roll back from V0.218 to previous version - time warping in low kerbin orbit (80km) for some reason gave me HUGE FPS drop and couple seconds after NVidia drivers crashed and recovered. I thought it was due to some other stuff, but I tried again, and although there were no more driver crashes, I still experienced a massive FPS drops as soon as I started timewarping with Kerbin visible in low orbit. Reverting back to 0.216 solved this problem (at least made it less prominent) and got rid of ugly z-fighting.

BUT: I'm using 64-bit workaround and DX9 on i5930 + gtx980ti so I have no right to complain, just giving you some heads-up. 

16 minutes ago, Ziw said:

Had to roll back from V0.218 to previous version - time warping in low kerbin orbit (80km) for some reason gave me HUGE FPS drop and couple seconds after NVidia drivers crashed and recovered. I thought it was due to some other stuff, but I tried again, and although there were no more driver crashes, I still experienced a massive FPS drops as soon as I started timewarping with Kerbin visible in low orbit. Reverting back to 0.216 solved this problem (at least made it less prominent) and got rid of ugly z-fighting.

BUT: I'm using 64-bit workaround and DX9 on i5930 + gtx980ti so I have no right to complain, just giving you some heads-up. 

Weird, I guess we'll wait and see if this an isolated case or indeed there's a big problem somewhere. Btw reverting to "0.0216" will fix z-fighting but will get you back to the old problems of artifact soup in low orbit and visible ocean floor.

Btw I'm using the 64-bit workaround too, all the time, and it doesn't seem to bring any additional problems, so by all means keep reporting if problems come up on 64bit.

Edited: Just gave it a quick try, I get some fps drops but only when the time warp is "changing" from 50x down to 10x or 1x. When at a constant 50x or 10x it seems ro work fine.

Is this what you're experiencing or are you getting drops all the time?

Edited by blackrack

Well, I cannot test right now, but maybe it was the problem while "changing" warp speed indeed. But it was so unexpected and massive, so I started dialing it back down to 1x. On 1x all was buttery smooth again.

I'll test with 0.2182 later today and report.

Edited by Ziw

Amazing. I love this water. And atmospheres are great. Became so hooked I started on every planet with an atmosphere.

Only to spend hours trying to figure out why this happened to no avail. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztxg24798l0tlfb/bugged-rings.png?dl=0

In the topic of z-fighting... This is what scatterer does to rings. Renders all of the rings behind the planet. So the ring no longer wraps the planet its behind it. Looks very silly and wrong.

24 minutes ago, Aludra said:

Amazing. I love this water. And atmospheres are great. Became so hooked I started on every planet with an atmosphere.

Only to spend hours trying to figure out why this happened to no avail. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztxg24798l0tlfb/bugged-rings.png?dl=0

In the topic of z-fighting... This is what scatterer does to rings. Renders all of the rings behind the planet. So the ring no longer wraps the planet its behind it. Looks very silly and wrong.

Someone reported this a few days ago, I have a fix in mind for it.

11 hours ago, *MajorTom* said:

water bugs in version  0.0218 (...215,216) , but I dont have any of it then I use 0.021c (version is totaly ok)

my video mods- texture replacer (latest), EVE (105-4), windows shine, planet shine, distant object

(hardware-videocard Radeon r9290)

afd25845a6d4.png

This happens to me, too.

As far as I can tell it is EVE cloud shadows, as it only happens when I'm below clouds. It

It started with version v0.0216. It does not happen in v0.0215.

It is still in v0.02182 using both -force-opengl and -force-d3d11 on a GTX 980.

2 minutes ago, Val said:

This happens to me, too.

As far as I can tell it is EVE cloud shadows, as it only happens when I'm below clouds. It

It started with version v0.0216. It does not happen in v0.0215.

It is still in v0.02182 using both -force-opengl and -force-d3d11 on a GTX 980.

In the version where this doesn't happen, do the EVE cloud shadows work at all or are they just invisible in the water? If ithey are invisible and you want to keep them like that take the "EmptyShader.shader" file from the old version and stick it in the new one, that should do it.

44 minutes ago, blackrack said:

In the version where this doesn't happen, do the EVE cloud shadows work at all or are they just invisible in the water? If ithey are invisible and you want to keep them like that take the "EmptyShader.shader" file from the old version and stick it in the new one, that should do it.

The EVE Shadows work in v0.0215 as far as I can tell.

Replacing the EmptyShader.shader in v0.02182 with the version from v0.0215 did have a small effect, but did not fix it.

I do see some small artefacts with v0.0215

• There's a thin line where the shadows aren't applied.
  • Black dots with -force-d3d11, that are not there with -force-opengl.

All of the above is with default configs for everything.

So I've just tried installing this again now that I'm running the 64bit mac (basically same as linux I'm guessing), after having memory problems in 32bit. But anyway, I load my world, and get this:

http://i.imgur.com/ZB6OyT9.jpg

And like I said, running 64bit on mac, with Stock Visual Enhancements, and a whole bunch of other mods. Any ideas?