[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Just finished reading through all 128 pages and have to say Im Really loving your work on the scatterer mod, and love how you and Rbray are working together, so hopefully Scatterer and New E.V.E will work really well together and not step on each others toes... I love seeing how you, rbray, Valerian and other visual enhancements modders are taking an interest in each other's works and helping out and working on making everyones Work all play nice and come together, working off of and accounting for each other to make amazing visuals without tripping over each other and making artefacts ect.

The screenshots that PingoPete has been comming up with from his work on the E.V.E/scatterer ect visual pack for Real Solar system are looking impossibly beautiful, same with Proot's Work in progress pack, Thanks for helping make the work they are doing possible :-)

Those water shaders... animated waves... amazing... Best of luck getting them to behave in KSP because they would be really nice to see :-)

Also Looking forward to KSP moving to Unity 5 and the possibilities it presents. I'm trying to imagine what it will look like when Scatterer, New E.V.E, Texture Replacer, Planetshine, Kopernicus, distant object enhancement, And all the other little visual enhancement mods like Engine lighting, Window/solarpanel reflections ect...

All come together under a hopefully 64 bit Unity 5 KSP in the future ^_^

I hope to put a really nice realistic but uncomplicated build of KSP together for my nephew once he is old enough. And do a few career mode runs though it to make sure it's stable and no problems, as I'd want him to have the best first impressions of KSP :-)

Just finished reading through all 128 pages and have to say Im Really loving your work on the scatterer mod, and love how you and Rbray are working together, so hopefully Scatterer and New E.V.E will work really well together and not step on each others toes... I love seeing how you, rbray, Valerian and other visual enhancements modders are taking an interest in each other's works and helping out and working on making everyones Work all play nice and come together, working off of and accounting for each other to make amazing visuals without tripping over each other and making artefacts ect.

The screenshots that PingoPete has been comming up with from his work on the E.V.E/scatterer ect visual pack for Real Solar system are looking impossibly beautiful, same with Proot's Work in progress pack, Thanks for helping make the work they are doing possible :-)

Those water shaders... animated waves... amazing... Best of luck getting them to behave in KSP because they would be really nice to see :-)

Also Looking forward to KSP moving to Unity 5 and the possibilities it presents. I'm trying to imagine what it will look like when Scatterer, New E.V.E, Texture Replacer, Planetshine, Kopernicus, distant object enhancement, And all the other little visual enhancement mods like Engine lighting, Window/solarpanel reflections ect...

All come together under a hopefully 64 bit Unity 5 KSP in the future ^_^

I hope to put a really nice realistic but uncomplicated build of KSP together for my nephew once he is old enough. And do a few career mode runs though it to make sure it's stable and no problems, as I'd want him to have the best first impressions of KSP :-)

Is there a "best post of the month" award out there? Because hands down you just won it. Cudos to you and thanks a ton for the recap (and partial mention-y thing sort of!). I couldn't have stated that better if I tried. :)

Thanks, I see you chaps doing amazing things, making the KSP I enjoy better and better seemingly without end and want to help, but I've no modding ability whatsoever beyond just changing simple numerical entries in CFGs to make an engine produce more or less thrust ect so all I can do is read through the threads in wonderment and give whatever encouragement I can, let you know how much what you do is appreciated ^_^

Your windowshine is the finishing touch on this Screenshot of PingoPetes work on his real solar system visual pack using The mentioned foundation mods It's only a small part of the whole, but that subtle reflection in the solar panels just perfects the scene...

QFuBT7v.png

And when I said "impossibly beautiful for KSP" in reference to PingoPete's current work, that screenshot is the one I'm thinking of :-)

Edited by GorillaZilla

Can you do this for Eve, Jool, Laythe, and Duna too?
So, can anybody think of an easy way to detect an eclipse? I need to hide the sunflare I'm adding when on laythe and jool occludes the sun.

If I cast a ray, will it work in scaledspace? Do the scaledspace objects have colliders?

:D I think the answer is yissss

Hey blackrack, I had just one more question, I don't suppose there's anyway to alter the scale of the sunflare texture used in scatterer? I noticed it can have any resolution (good thing for RSS/RVE ;)

Edited by pingopete

When I use this mod, my first launch goes fine. When I go back to the VAB and launch a new rocket, the sky is either bright red, bright green, or black. The game then crashes next time I change scenes. This is my only mod other than the stock part revamp. I have an i7 3770k, GTX 780, and 16 GB RAM. I have tried forcing dx11 and open gl, played with anti-aliasing settings, re installed, and rolled back video drivers. I can't imagine many people are experiencing this problem as it seems to be fairly successful. Any suggestions? I love this mod, and just want it working for more than one launch.

Edited by Gampersnaz

Hello Scatterer community!

I've got a little problem with my setting file (config/Settings.txt), when i leave the game normaly (by the menu) the setting file is erase by other settings. I've got two ways for this,either I make a back up, or I leave the game by Alt+F4.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Hey blackrack, I had just one more question, I don't suppose there's anyway to alter the scale of the sunflare texture used in scatterer? I noticed it can have any resolution (good thing for RSS/RVE ;)

That would be quite handy if so... It sounded like the sunflare in RSS was just about the only thing that really annoyed you.

There isn't a way currently but I could implement one. Since I'm implementing the raycast thing next I could also extend the sunflare to work outside of the atmosphere and make it into a full sunflare replacement. Just one question, if you replace the sunflare texture with a higher res one, does it actually work but stay at the same scale? I actually thought it would scale up.

When I use this mod, my first launch goes fine. When I go back to the VAB and launch a new rocket, the sky is either bright red, bright green, or black. The game then crashes next time I change scenes. This is my only mod other than the stock part revamp. I have an i7 3770k, GTX 780, and 16 GB RAM. I have tried forcing dx11 and open gl, played with anti-aliasing settings, re installed, and rolled back video drivers. I can't imagine many people are experiencing this problem as it seems to be fairly successful. Any suggestions? I love this mod, and just want it working for more than one launch.

No idea what might be happening, check log for issues.

Also, the "black sky at random" is apparently a very common bug but never happened to me before I started working on multiplanets, so now I'm trying to fix it.

Hello Scatterer community!

I've got a little problem with my setting file (config/Settings.txt), when i leave the game normaly (by the menu) the setting file is erase by other settings. I've got two ways for this,either I make a back up, or I leave the game by Alt+F4.

Does anyone else have this problem?

What does erased by other settings mean? The default settings? Are all the config points erased? Also, you could just set the settings file to read-only and that should solve it.

There isn't a way currently but I could implement one. Since I'm implementing the raycast thing next I could also extend the sunflare to work outside of the atmosphere and make it into a full sunflare replacement. Just one question, if you replace the sunflare texture with a higher res one, does it actually work but stay at the same scale? I actually thought it would scale up.

Yeah I gave it a test, the scale stays the same, so a much res sun flare texture with a proportionately smaller actual flare just gives a smaller sun flare in game currently. And thanks, That'd be SUPER handy for RSS!!

That would be quite handy if so... It sounded like the sunflare in RSS was just about the only thing that really annoyed you.

Well.. not the only thing ;) It's just that using the shared assets method means the resolution is fixed and so looks pretty low res at RSS scales :/

Edited by pingopete

Well.. not the only thing ;) It's just that using the shared assets method means the resolution is fixed and so looks pretty low res at RSS scales :/

There is always the option of designing a texture that's blurred enough that it has no jagged pixels... I've had to do that a number of times when making custom textures. Though I'm not sure how well it would work with a sun flare :P

There is always the option of designing a texture that's blurred enough that it has no jagged pixels... I've had to do that a number of times when making custom textures. Though I'm not sure how well it would work with a sun flare :P

Yeah Astronomer suggested the same thing, when I tried it helped a little but the flare still lacks that true HD'ness :P

Yeah Astronomer suggested the same thing, when I tried it helped a little but the flare still lacks that true HD'ness :P

So I guess I'm not the only one.

Wait... You've had recent contact with Astronomer?!? :confused:

I just took a peek at your image files. Any particular reason they are .png images? I could convert them for you if you like... ;)

EDIT:

WOAH!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I increased pixel light count from default 8 to 12 through the in game settings tab and when I applied the settings it did this. IT LOOKS SO COOL I DON'T EVEN WANT TO CALL IT A BUG XD

It vanished on game reboot.

Oh and imgur told me that this is a new picture of the earth. I think it's a pretty good template of scattering and atmospheric effects:

OwmFjkz.png

Might be useful, might not :P

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Blackrack, has changed the config tool with the new version?

I mean, to use atmos generated before the update will look right?

I changed nothing, they should work the same.

I just took a peek at your image files. Any particular reason they are .png images? I could convert them for you if you like... ;)

What image files?

EDIT:

WOAH!

http://imgur.com/a/zFv0t

I increased pixel light count from default 8 to 12 through the in game settings tab and when I applied the settings it did this. IT LOOKS SO COOL I DON'T EVEN WANT TO CALL IT A BUG XD

It vanished on game reboot.

Oh and imgur told me that this is a new picture of the earth. I think it's a pretty good template of scattering and atmospheric effects:

http://i.imgur.com/OwmFjkz.png

Might be useful, might not :P

This is what was happening to me. Sometimes it's red haha

Is this a completely new bug with the new version or has it been happening for a while?

Does it work if you turn pixel light count back to 8?

Not sure if it's a new bug. I installed it just the other day for the first time. Pixel light count makes no difference. I managed to get it working more often by running with -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded, but it still only gives me three or four scene changes before crashing the game.

EDIT: Ummm, it seems to work fine now...? I had a driver update so maybe that was it. I have my pixel light count at 12, dx11 enabled, fxaa enabled, all that stuff. looks really nice :) Sorry I couldn't be of more help diagnosing the problem, but I just played for a while with no issues. The odd blip when coming out of the pause menu, but that's it.

Edited by Gampersnaz

If either of you figure out how to have a moon cast a shadow on a planet I will buy you a beverage of your choice. :)
Already working on it. I'm re-jiggering the shadow mechanism I created for the clouds to work for moons as well :)

What are the reasons for the standard KSP-Unity lighting system not being capable of doing this? I made a crude attempt to see what had prevented Squad from doing it, but I don't know enough about shaders or Unity rendering setups to parse what I'm seeing. I used a simple sphere, scaled and positioned, with shadows enabled for the ScaledSpace bodies and light:

Javascript is disabled. View full album