[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Post some screens please, I never heard of z-fighting in PQS.

Here are some screenshots of the artifacts I was talking about. As you can see they appear more obvious above the ocean. And they only change/appear when you move through the atmosphere, like when you fly something, zoom in or out etc.

Let me know if you need more info.

Oh and you probably want to look at the images in full size.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Well... I am just wondering if RSS is (or will be) supported...

...okay i think i could make one...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83215-WIP-RSS-Visual-Enhancements-(RVE)

It's a WIP, but it's probably the pinnacle of KSP graphic fidelity. A large portion of it is EVE, but Pingopete did introduce scatterer into it not too long ago.

I had some fun with Scatterer today and thought I would share:

It is the first planet I made pretty much from the ground up so I hurried through the scatterer config a bit, but I am really fond of it anyways. Thanks for this amazing mod, blackrack! I can't even begin to imagine how great this game will look once we have support for multiple planets :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83215-WIP-RSS-Visual-Enhancements-(RVE)

It's a WIP, but it's probably the pinnacle of KSP graphic fidelity. A large portion of it is EVE, but Pingopete did introduce scatterer into it not too long ago.

Well I just didn't find any DL in the post...

****edited****

The author removed all DLs, so maybe i should go to RealismOverhaul for help....

Edited by 01010101lzy

Hello, and thanks for a terrific mod.

Is there a way to get around this bug while keep using DX11? I really want to play with scatterer, but cannot go opengl/DX9. Any other alternative?

http://i.imgur.com/c4SH0cWl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZbbKsQ8l.jpg

I use -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded. It seems to fix it for me. I have heard that this is not recommended as it may lead to save file issues, but I have had no problems. Use it at your own risk I guess.

I had some fun with Scatterer today and thought I would share:

http://imgur.com/a/SO8MJ

It is the first planet I made pretty much from the ground up so I hurried through the scatterer config a bit, but I am really fond of it anyways. Thanks for this amazing mod, blackrack! I can't even begin to imagine how great this game will look once we have support for multiple planets :)

Wow that looks awesome, good work. I would go there in a second!

Some more playing around with scatterer, this time with Jool:

Trying to use scatterer with Jool in it's 64K version lead to some very pretty screenshots. It also lead to the atmospheric haze fading in and out based on the perspective the planet was viewed in, but that might have been a misconfiguration too. I saved the logs and configuration files just in case you'd be interested Blackrack :)

http://imgur.com/a/AGi8i

Trying to use scatterer with Jool in it's 64K version lead to some very pretty screenshots. It also lead to the atmospheric haze fading in and out based on the perspective the planet was viewed in, but that might have been a misconfiguration too. I saved the logs and configuration files just in case you'd be interested Blackrack :)

Wow, absolutely fantastic. Gives great vision for the future of the mod.

EDIT: So is there literally nothing stopping anyone downloading this and just throwing configs against the wall for all atmospheric bodies, and seeing what sticks?

EDIT: So is there literally nothing stopping anyone downloading this and just throwing configs against the wall for all atmospheric bodies, and seeing what sticks?

Absolutely nothing! The only issue is that there is only one instance of Scatterer per game at the moment, so a pretty Jool comes with a bland Kerbin.

Is this one of those exceptions that's "expected" and normal or is this an indication of something severely wrong? I keep getting this spamming my output_log on scene changes:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Clouds.Clouds.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateNode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at scatterer.Manager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at scatterer.Core.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I previously had EVE clouds, and tried to add scatterer to it and got this happening, and also the game seems to randomly crash from time to time now - when changing scenes between space center buildings some of the time and when transitioning from one SOI to another. (i.e. returning from the Mun to Kerbin, looking at map view, just after it flips to drawing the new orbit around Kerbin instead of around the Mun, the game vanishes from the screen without a crash report folder).

I also get a "crash!" in the log with a meaningless (to me) spew of complaints from Unity, of the format "mono_unity_liveness_calculation_end + (some hex number here)" with lots of different lines with different hex numbers. Here's a small sample of the spew:

Start of spew:

(0x1011940A) (mono): (filename not available): mono_gc_max_generation + 0x103e4
(0x10106F61) (mono): (filename not available): mono_set_defaults + 0x18cea
(0x10106FB5) (mono): (filename not available): mono_set_defaults + 0x18d3e
(0x101072A7) (mono): (filename not available): mono_unity_liveness_calculation_end + 0x9c
(0x101074C1) (mono): (filename not available): mono_unity_liveness_calculation_end + 0x2b6

Then lots more of those "mono_unity_liveness_calculation_end" lines, ending in this:

(0x1010762A) (mono): (filename not available): mono_unity_liveness_calculation_end + 0x41f
(0x10107649) (mono): (filename not available): mono_unity_liveness_calculation_end + 0x43e

========== END OF STACKTRACE ===========

**** Crash! ****

I have no idea what's going on, but this just started happening after adding scatterer mod to a previously working installation.

Here's my mod list:

Asteroid Day v1.0

Chatterer v0.9.6

Collision FX v3.2

Crowd Sourced Science v3.0

Docking Sounds v1.2

Engine Lighting v1.4.9

Environmental Visual Enhancements v7-4

Environmental Visual Enchancements - Low Resolution v7-4

Firespitter Core v7.1.4

Habitat Pack 0.41

Hullcam VDS 0.40

Infernal Robotics Model Rework - core pack v01b

Infernal Robotics Model Rework - Expansion pack v01b

KAE-KSPAPI extensions (autodetect, used by other mods).

Kerbal Alarm Clock v3.4.0.0

Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.0.18.0

kOS: Scriptable Autopilot System 0.17.3

Layers Animations 1.1

Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics v0.21.2

Module Manager 2.6.7

Tweakscale-rescale everything! v2.2.1

Scatterer v0.0171

Hey people, i am using ksprc, does anyone have a pre-configured download for this? Or does it come with the graphics set up to a reasonable degree? Basically if i download it will i be spending ages tweaking the settings to make everything look good? Thanks.

I am running ubuntu and i can't get the menu up to turn off the anisotropic filtering using right shift + F9-10 (its right shift instead of alt in ubuntu) but other menus open, i figured i could force it off in catalyst control panel, but the ubuntu version doesnt seem to allow that, only to set it to different levels. any other way to force off aniostropic filtering?

I am running ubuntu and i can't get the menu up to turn off the anisotropic filtering using right shift + F9-10 (its right shift instead of alt in ubuntu) but other menus open, i figured i could force it off in catalyst control panel, but the ubuntu version doesnt seem to allow that, only to set it to different levels. any other way to force off aniostropic filtering?

Just go in the config files somewhre in the directory of the mod and look for forceOFFaniso=false, set it to true.

Hey people, i am using ksprc, does anyone have a pre-configured download for this? Or does it come with the graphics set up to a reasonable degree? Basically if i download it will i be spending ages tweaking the settings to make everything look good? Thanks.

Everything works, just deactivate the "fake" atmosphere ksprc uses like this

Is this one of those exceptions that's "expected" and normal or is this an indication of something severely wrong? I keep getting this spamming my output_log on scene changes:

Here's my mod list:

Asteroid Day v1.0

Chatterer v0.9.6

Collision FX v3.2

Crowd Sourced Science v3.0

Docking Sounds v1.2

Engine Lighting v1.4.9

Environmental Visual Enhancements v7-4

Environmental Visual Enchancements - Low Resolution v7-4

Firespitter Core v7.1.4

Habitat Pack 0.41

Hullcam VDS 0.40

Infernal Robotics Model Rework - core pack v01b

Infernal Robotics Model Rework - Expansion pack v01b

KAE-KSPAPI extensions (autodetect, used by other mods).

Kerbal Alarm Clock v3.4.0.0

Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.0.18.0

kOS: Scriptable Autopilot System 0.17.3

Layers Animations 1.1

Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics v0.21.2

Module Manager 2.6.7

Tweakscale-rescale everything! v2.2.1

Scatterer v0.0171

The first nullrefs are normal, for the rest it might be some incompatibility between mods, after all you have lots of mods. Try to narrow it down.

http://imgur.com/a/AGi8i

While this doesn't look bad I've been holding off using it for Jool as I feel the effect is adapted for normal atmospheres and doesn't get the gas giant look right. Especially if you look at terminators and the color changes at the edge of the atmosphere. Though it's still better than stock and I suppose by using the right EVE clouds it could look convincing enough. Well done.

Wow, absolutely fantastic. Gives great vision for the future of the mod.

I'm working on multiple planet support but I'm a bit busy and my free time is very very limited. In the current version only one planet can have scattering effects. I suppose for now you could try making a copy of the scatterer folder and putting a different config and planet in it and have multiple instances of the mod running at the same time but I can see this causing lots of issues (if it even works) and a high memory usage.

I'm working on multiple planet support but I'm a bit busy and my free time is very very limited. In the current version only one planet can have scattering effects. I suppose for now you could try making a copy of the scatterer folder and putting a different config and planet in it and have multiple instances of the mod running at the same time but I can see this causing lots of issues (if it even works) and a high memory usage.

Well, for now you usually have only one planet with effects in the camera, and Jool can do without scatterer - it is easy to simulate it using EVE. Maybe you can just switch overlay from one planet to another on the go?