Naming Themes!

DavidBowman

Each series of crafts (series being defined by the purpose of the craft) has a letter, followed by a version number. My B series are reentry crafts -- pods that can reach orbit and come back down. So the B3 Glider is a command pod with wings that gets carried up by an A3 or A4, reenters, and glides down to the runway, while the B1 is just a pod with a chute.

I know it doesn't have any relations, but that could be where B9 comes from! (I know it doesn't)

My launch vehicles I save as subassemblies and I'm not too original at naming them. I just give them a number designation to signify their lift capacity. For example, my 30-tonne launch vehicle is simply named LV-30.

I'm not much more creative when it comes to naming my robotic payloads. I typically just name them to indicate the destination and mission type, i.e. Mun Rover, Minmus Lander, Duna Orbiter, etc. I also include a Roman numeral (or a number/letter combination) to indicate the number in a series, or the generation of spacecraft.

My manned missions is where I use more colorful names. I generally name them after constellations or stars.

I haven't done much with stations and bases other than to deploy them just to fulfill contracts. I generally name stations using Greek letters, i.e. Alpha Station, while bases I name after the planet or moon, i.e. Eve Base I.

I've been thinking of trying to come up with a more formalized naming system for all my payloads, but I haven't settled on anything specific yet.

Edited by OhioBob

If it's a challenge ship, I just name it the name of the challenge. Naito shuttle missions are labeled STS- then the number of the trip on that save and everything else is either ____ probe/debris/lander or Untitled Space Craft. I'm so original.

I use Greek mythology names. They mostly make sense (either they connect to the Roman name of the planet, or have some other connection; a few do not):

Kerbin Sub Orbital - Hestia (Home & Hearth)

Kerbin Orbital - Demeter (Harvesting the seeds sown in the Hestia Missions)

Kerbin Atmospheric - Hermes (Messenger)

Satellites - Apollo (Light and Knowledge)

Mapping Satellites - Poseidon (Delving the Depths)

Supply/Refuel - Dionysus (Juice!)

Mun - Artemis (Moon)

Minmus - Selene (2nd Moon)

Rescue - Athena (Protector)

Eve - Aphrodite (Venus)

Duna - Ares (Mars)

Jool - Zeus (Jupiter)

Jolian Moons - Hera (Wife of Jupiter)

Extra Kerbin Bases - Hades (Other Realm, Darkness)

Space Stations - Hephaestus (Craftsman)

Trans Jolian - Cronus

I usually just use a simple Roman numeral afterward.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.