Squad: If possible, will you allow KSP Steam Workshop monetization? Yes or No?

SorensonPA

I'm sure many users have already heard the news, but to recap: Valve just unveiled a Paid Workshop function for Steam whereby people who upload content to workshops can now charge actual realworld money for them. Currently it's in play for the Skyrim workshop, but there's no reason to believe other publishers and developers won't be quick to jump on the bandwagon. It's also having as big a backlash as one might expect of such and has stirred up a massive debate about both the feasibility and, for lack of a better term, ethics of the idea.

Considering there's been plenty of discussion about whether or not KSP could someday get its own Steam workshop, I think this merits a question put towards Squad with a request for a very clear answer: in the event that Kerbal Space Program does gain Steam workshop functionality, and that as of such time publishers and developers have the option of allowing users to charge for access to their workshop items, would you allow such monetization of the Kerbal Space Program workshop? Yes or No?

If you answer "Yes" to the previous question, then please answer the following question: what percent, out of 100% total, would you delegate to the user as their cut of the item's sale? For reference, Bethesda is giving workshop uploaders 25% of all workshop item sales.

Regardless of what SQUAD says, I find this whole workshop monetization thing very much in bad-taste. I can't help but feel that only the "good" mods will be for a price while the rest of the mods are "meh" and free.

I feel like this is only going to lead to the whole "if you want the best experience, buy the game, buy all it's DLC, and buy all it's mods."

So I guess I'll be playing strictly stock if/when that happens. No offense to all you modders out there, but I'm not forking over cash to get things that should be stock anyway.

They're already with Curse, don't want to go with Steam Workshop, many modders publish elsewhere, and many KSP owner/operators are not on Steam. On this site and Curse, the modding rules allow donation links but specifically prohibit them within the game and all mods must have their source code, if any, freely available for inspection by players/other modders (regardless of license). Therefore, Squad is highly unlikely to allow monetization of mods through Steam Workshop.

Rest easy, friends. If you want to donate, I know a few modders with donate buttons, let me know.

I wouldn't like paying for mods but some of the definitely deserve it. If I were paying for mods I'd expect a higher level of professionalism and dedication to it working in the future.

In my opinion that's the whole point of mod monetization.

To let this people do mods for a living.

Of course nobody likes to pay for something that was free before, but imagine the kind of amacing things some of them could do working on their mods 40h a week during months (or maybe even years).

In reference to KSP within the steam (being that I bought KSP from the KSP store and not steam), I'm against the idea of charging people for mods. For one- I have little desire to have them and when I do want them I want a LOT of them. Besides KSP has a history, a community and a system that works best for mods being free.

Now I have no issues with mods making money and if I could- I would donate to some of the groups that make mods. Donations are what make the mods go round the most.

So- no. This is not for KSP... Besides I didn't think KSP was ever going to have steam compatibility.

I seriously doubt any monetization of KSP beyond DLC. Especially considering they have partnered with smaller companies recently.

T-shirts, mugs, 3D printed kerbals, 3D printed rockets, kerbalizer....lots of monetization going on that is not DLC, and likely more to come. (Nothing wrong with it, either.)

The OP's question is a bit moot, as Steam Workshop is likely never going to happen for KSP. It's already sold through the KSP Store, and other outlets like GOG are being added, too. Not all players use Steam.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.