What would YOU change the name of "ore" to?

So in coming with the release of resources in 1.0, the system uses a material known simply (and rather boringly) as Ore.

Now, please respect that Kethane and Karbonite are both taken names already, but if you had the choice, what would you call the resource instead of Ore?

My votes:

Kobalt

Kytherium

Kermanium

(Meh, kinda lame choices, but better than Ore!)

I'd keep it ore. It's simple, and doesn't use that obnoxious "everything starts with K" trend that people seem to think SQUAD likes but they never actually use.

Also, it's a real word, like all the other resources in the game. Liquid Fuel, Oxidizer, even Xenon are all real things. We don't have Kydrogen, Koxegyn, or Kenon... Kelectricity...

Keep the name as ore, but add additional types of resources that can be processed from it.

I'd like to think that as of 1.0, when processing ore, the converter is discarding most of the minerals and regolith while extracting the trace quantities of compounds required to make LF/LOX.

Also, it's a real word, like all the other resources in the game. Liquid Fuel, Oxidizer, even Xenon are all real things. We don't have Kydrogen, Koxegyn, or Kenon... Kelectricity...

That's true, but I only ever use the "Add 'K' to words" thingamajigger when it actually makes sense and sounds good with the word. Kydrogen maybe, but Koxygen and Kenon and Kelectricty all sound absurd. That's my two cents, anyway. Kethane, I like to think, sounds like Methane.

I'd keep it ore. It's simple, and doesn't use that obnoxious "everything starts with K" trend that people seem to think SQUAD likes but they never actually use.

I agree, while were at it we might as well change the name of all the planets too, Koho, Keve, Kuna, Kres, Kool, Keloo and maybe even the other parts, i.e. Kansail Kiquid Kengine. Can you imagine how annoying that crap would be? I don't know where this ridiculous trend came from but when you see mind numbing terminology like "kolniya korbits" it makes you loose faith in humanity as your IQ is steadily decreasing.

EDIT: I meant "KQ" not "IQ" sorry

Please, I don't need this devolving into a discussion about adding "K" to every word. I take responsibility for my resource names, and I apologize. I'm just curious to hear what you guys think is a better name than Ore.

I don't know where this ridiculous trend came from but when you see mind numbing terminology like "kolniya korbits" it makes you loose faith in humanity as your IQ is steadily decreasing.

You know, I actually didn't know until now that Kolniya Orbit wasn't an actual term. I'd seen it in contracts, and assumed that was just what it was called. Didn't know the real term was Molniya, which I just looked up. I'm pretty disappointed, as I was sure there were almost no actual instances in-game of the K-trend.

Anyways, I like ore, and I kinda hope they add other resources at some point. I know it has modding in mind, but the fact that there are built-in buttons for scanning for different types of resources makes me think they might add others. Perhaps "water" as a resource to generate Life Support?

Water is a good one, as you can make LFO and monoprop from it. But if we get extra resources that we convert it too, then Ore is probably the best one. Real, but vague enough that it can be plausibly turned into anything.

That's true, but I only ever use the "Add 'K' to words" thingamajigger when it actually makes sense and sound

s good with the word. Kydrogen maybe, but Koxygen and Kenon and Kelectricty all sound absurd. That's my two cents, anyway. Kethane, I like to think, sounds like Methane.

I only use it mostly whenever I name craft replicas, such as "Kerbinbus" for Airbus, or "Kerbdonnell Douglas". And yes, only when it actually makes sense. (Kolniya Korbits?! What?!)

Back on topic: Maybe I'd name it.. Planetary Ore or something. Ore, while being an okay name, seems too.. simplistic.

Edited by Columbia

"Ore" is absolutely fine, as it is raw material you dig for further procession into something.

The procession itself is in need of changing.

Assuming Kerbin system planets have roughly the same consistency as Sol system planets, this "Ore" will contain:

- Al

- Fe

- Ti

- Mg

- O (PLENTY of oxygen, really! Moon regolith have over 40%.)

- H (VERY SCARCE! And in form of water ice mostly.)

No way those can be processed into "Liquid fuel" which is actually Kerosene. "Ore" HAVE NO CARBON!

Much better ISRU activity will appear when adding atmospheric resources.

RL Venus and Mars (KSP Eve and Duna) atmospheres are mostly CO2. Using Sabatier reaction with hydrogen (electrolised from that scarce and precious water) we get Methane+Oxygen fuel mix. Already nice though cryogenic. Using synthesis we can make Methane into Propane and even more dense fractions up to Kerosene. You see? Realistic and plausible LF+O conversion with just an assumption of using atmospheric resources.

And if we imagine that LF+O is not Kerolox, but Kerosene+Nitrogen Tetraoxide (actually quite plausible, since LF+O never boils off thus being hypergolic) and "Monopropellant" is Hydrasine... Then we'll need some source of Nitrogen too...

Realistic ISRU missions is a kind of GOOD complexity that adds more interest and playability to the game.

I would change it to "Stuff".

It is such a general term it could be anything. And everybody could just say things like "gotta mine some stuff" or "man, I really need more stuff" or "now I have to convert this stuff into fuel" and still be specific.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.