[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

3 minutes ago, KerbalFanatic1 said:

i was wondering if USI Life Support works with KIS?

Depends what you mean 'works with'.  All of RoverDude's mods are designed to support having stuff moved around and placed using KIS - in fact, it's the preferred option in some cases.  If you mean 'does stuff in KIS storage affect life support', then no - it's a basic limitation of KIS that items in storage have no actual presence in the game until they are pulled out of storage.

19 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Depends what you mean 'works with'.  All of RoverDude's mods are designed to support having stuff moved around and placed using KIS - in fact, it's the preferred option in some cases.  If you mean 'does stuff in KIS storage affect life support', then no - it's a basic limitation of KIS that items in storage have no actual presence in the game until they are pulled out of storage.

so if i put food containers in the KIS slots it wont work?

So if i pull the food out of storage it will then work

Edited by KerbalFanatic1

10 minutes ago, KerbalFanatic1 said:

so if i put food containers in the KIS slots it wont work?

So if i pull the food out of storage it will then work

Yep.  It's a bit of an exploit, but not really something that can be worked around.

On 5/29/2016 at 6:36 PM, EleSigma said:

Will radiation work like the original concept Squad had for it? If I remember right it was talked about back in late 2012-ish?

Eve was supposed to be radioactive on its surface and highly radioactive on its oceans, making EVA and living in un-shielded habs possible only for an hour or so. Jool was to have a dangerous radiation belt that would have encompassed Laythe. EVA or venturing into the belt in any manned craft without heavy shielding would spell death in a few minutes and the sun would have a near impenetrable field around it.

Also if I remember right, there was supposed to be basic solar weather and safe magnetospheres around certain planets. Kerbin would have had one that would have given full protection around Kerbin and the Mun. Moho would have had a very minor one (analog to Mercury's weak magnetosphere) that would only offer trace protection. No idea on the solar weather mechanics though. I guess there would be some sort of background radiation in relation to how close you were to the sun.

As for shielding, a nice end-tech module would be an artificial magnetosphere coming in a 1.25, 2.5, and 3.75 size for ships and bases. It would give full protecting but require a lot of electricity to run and only protect what is inside the bubble, in a way similar to the bubble protection field the Alcubierre Drive add-on uses.

Pretty close, tho I am not aware of the original Squad design

2 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

How is it an exploit?

You can starve your crew for 14 days, hop out, slap a life support canister on your ship and take a snack, drop it back in KIS storage, rinse and repeat.

It's a huge pain, but still technically an exploit.

19 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Sure, but one could (in theory) extend your life support by multiple orders of magnitude.  Probably not really worth it, but there it is

I guess if it was truly a problem the mod developer could add some mechanic where maybe kerbals use up extra supplies when they are given some after starving awhile. :D  The rest of us can just use self control in the name of fun and challenge.

On 4/27/2015 at 3:57 PM, Jivaii said:

RoverDude, I'm pretty sure most of us love you in some way/shape/form. You're too badass for your own good, and I shall name a kerbal after you.

Make sure to give it the BadS trait.

translucent, semi-rounded green cube.

- RoverDude on the title page

Soylent Green anyone?

On 6/1/2016 at 3:32 PM, RoverDude said:

tbh if someone is going through that much trouble to game the system, all the more power to them :wink:

Yea you aren't really playing KSP if you don't house rule it. :)

I do sometimes put one of those tiny DERP life support bags in storage for emergencies.  I then attach it to the ship (if things get bad) and use it attached (that is, until it runs out, then goodbye crew).

Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.  I don't do any "attach, reattach" stuff.  I just look at it as an emergency supply kit.

Hi Roverdude

I'm not sure how many kontainers are effected, but the Supplies 4500 at least seems to have a footprint larger than its basesize. I know these things aren't ideally suited to reentry maybe, but in the picture below the supplies can suffers heat effects that the modules around it arent exposed to.

This vessel is skimming Kerbin's atmo doing a fairly routine retrograde pass. The can is flanked by a hitchhiker module and a fuel tank. The engine is shielding the rest of the vessel (note its 'Exposed Skin' value. Neither the fuel tank nor the Hitchhiker module have 'Exposed Skin' but the supplies can would appear to be 'sticking out'.  It would be a very bad day for that vessel if the can overheated and split the vessel in half! :)

UG21tSi.png

Hello, I’m having some problems with USI Life Support, I have just started playing again after a long break and had removed my prior KSP install so I’m setting everything up fresh and starting a new game with 1.1.2.

So I have my mod’s installed and everything seems to work fine except for a few things with USI LS. The Hab and Home values are always infinite and even though I have  the Settings file set to K.I.A my kerbal when the run out of supplies they just refuse to work and not die. I'm also 18000KM away from Kerbin

29ndt9d.jpg

So far I have tried: deleting the Module manager cache files and reloading I and then reverted Module Manage back to 2.6.24 from 2.6.25 and reloaded and still the same thing. This is how I have my settings file and mods. Am I forgetting something in the settings? any help would be greatly appreciated.

These are my USI LS Settings

LIFE_SUPPORT_SETTINGS
{
    SupplyTime = 324000            //How many seconds before Kerbals are affected by no supplies
    EVATime = 21600                //How many seconds before ill effects on EVA
    ECAmount = 0.01                //EC per Kerbal per second                        
    SupplyAmount = 0.00075        //Supplies consumed per Kerbal per second
    WasteAmount = 0.00075        //Mulch produced per Kerbal per second
    NoSupplyEffect = 5            //Effect if a Kerbal has no supplies or EC
    NoSupplyEffectVets = 5        //Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and has no supplies or EC
    EVAEffect = 5                //Effect if a Kerbal exceeds EVA time        
    EVAEffectVets = 5            //Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and exceeds EVA time
    NoHomeEffect = 1            //Effect if a Kerbal becomes homesick
    NoHomeEffectVets = 0        //Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and becomes homesick
    HabMultiplier = 5            //Bonus to hab values (1 = default = 100% of the part's rated value)
    HomeWorldAltitude = 25000    //Altitude on Kerbin that negative effects are removed
    BaseHabTime = 1                //How long can 1 crew capacity support 1 Kerbal, expressed in Kerbal Months
    ReplacementPartAmount = 0    //How fast life support equipment and habs 'wears out'
    HabRange = 150                //How close we need to be to use other vessel's habitation modules and recyclers.
    EnableRecyclers = true        //Use resource recyclers?  Not the same as resource converteres like greenhouses!
    VetNames = Jebediah,Valentina,Bill,Bob    
}
	//  SIDE EFFECTS:
// 
//  0 = No Effect (The feature is effectively turned off
//  1 = Grouchy (they become a Tourist until rescued)
//  2 = Mutinous (A tourist, but destroys a part of a nearby vessel...)
//  3 = Instantly 'wander' back to the KSC - don't ask us how!
//  4 = M.I.A. (will eventually respawn)
//  5 = K.I.A. 

Edited by Zolob-M

You've disabled home effects for vets - so home and hab will always be infinite with Jeb.  Try a non-red Kerbal, and you'll get some effect.  (Though you've only got that set to 'Grouchy' - which is refuse to work.)  Or you can change the effects.  He should be out of supplies though, I think...

Of course, the current version only uses that config file as 'new game defaults' - you can override in the settings window in the game, and you haven't shown us that, so we can't be sure it's set to the same.

On 5/24/2016 at 2:48 PM, goldenpsp said:

Screenshot of your gamedata folder might help.  Also training and tutorial missions are a bad way to test mods as they are not mod friendly and are known to freak out at times with modded installs.

I've used the Tutorial missions as quick test, but the issue did happen at first during a campaign. I had to restart a campaign because the game couldn't load the ship. It was the very beginning of the campaign and I've lost Valentina. I've started a new campaign and similarly I've lost Jebediah on his way back from the Mun.

I've later started to suspect that some of the RoverDude mods could have been responsible for the issue when I've noticed that they were responsible for a similar issue when trying to load a tutorial (couldn't load the ship).

I'm now starting a new campaign (a third) without any of the RoverDude mods, and hopefully I'll not have the same issue again.

I love RoverDude mods. They look really cool and add to the gameplay. Unfortunately for one reason or another I didn't manage to have a campaign rolling in a year. Let's see if I will finally be able to play :) 

4 minutes ago, carlorizzante said:

I've used the Tutorial missions as quick test, but the issue did happen at first during a campaign. I had to restart a campaign because the game couldn't load the ship. It was the very beginning of the campaign and I've lost Valentina. I've started a new campaign and similarly I've lost Jebediah on his way back from the Mun.

I've later started to suspect that some of the RoverDude mods could have been responsible for the issue when I've noticed that they were responsible for a similar issue when trying to load a tutorial (couldn't load the ship).

I'm now starting a new campaign (a third) without any of the RoverDude mods, and hopefully I'll not have the same issue again.

I love RoverDude mods. They look really cool and add to the gameplay. Unfortunately for one reason or another I didn't manage to have a campaign rolling in a year. Let's see if I will finally be able to play :) 

I'm sorry it wasn't working for you, but it isn't Roverdude's mods.  There are TONS of people who use some or all of his mods without the issue you describe.  But lots of people have issues when mods are not installed correctly (which is why I said earlier screenshots of your gamedata can help).

12 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

I'm sorry it wasn't working for you, but it isn't Roverdude's mods.  There are TONS of people who use some or all of his mods without the issue you describe.  But lots of people have issues when mods are not installed correctly (which is why I said earlier screenshots of your gamedata can help).

Thanks. I'm on Mac so I install mods manually. It is likely that I've screwed somewhere :-D

I'll keep you posted if I'll have more data. Thanks so far, it's unbelievable how much goodness one gets for free thanks to modders. You guys are awesome.

Could someone double-check my math so I'm clear on my understanding of how recyclers and greenhouses work?  I'm trying to design a ship for 12 Kerbals with a 10-year mission lifespan (Roundtrip to Sarnus and back).  I'm using KPBS hab and greenhouses, which (as I understand) have similar mechanics to USI's stock modules.

fI41QaJ.png

My understanding is as follows:

12 Kerbins * 16.2 Supplies per day per kerbal = 192.4 supplies consumed per day.  Using the Habitat MK2 recyclers at 89% reduces total vessel consumption to 21.384 Supplies per day. 

5 years * 426 days = 4260 days * 21.384 supplies per day = 91,095.84 supplies needed for a 10 year mission.

Am I correct so far?

For using the greenhouses, the .cfg files for KPBS greenhouses say they consume .0052 Mulch and .0008 Fertilizer, and produce .0060 Supplies.  I assume that's per second, so per day each greenhouse will consume 112.32 Mulch, 17.28 Fertilizer, and produce 129.6 Supplies.  So . . . wow, I don't need three greenhouses on this ship.  BUT GUYS THEY LOOK SO COOL.

Anyway, if my math works out the greenhouses need 6.5 Mulch + 1 Fertilizer = 7.5 Supplies.  So assuming that my little Kerbals keep producing mulch, to ensure that I'm able to have enough supplies for a 10 year mission I will need:

A small baseline of Supplies, and 12,146.112 Fertilizer.

Does this sound right? Does workload or vessel efficiency or kerbal XP tie into this in any way?

You've forgotten water.  :wink:  The 89% recyclers need 18 units of water per hour to run - really, it's best to think of them as converting *water* into supplies.  (Or: Undrinkable water into usable water.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.