[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Ah, I was not aware Nertea was working on something for radiation - seems we're in a renaissance of life support stuff right now :)

Very likely something a bit simpler on my end - shielded parts, storm shelters, and more of a proximity based model instead of shadow shielding to keep things simple.

You could abstract shadow shielding by letting a shield modify the distance in a proximity-based model.  I.e. put in a lead shield and the mod treats the distance as 100m instead of 20.  Not as computationally expensive as raycasting, but allows for stacking bonuses from multiple shields.  I suppose there would need to be a check that the shield is between the reactor and the crew.  I think if you keep the abstraction and balance you've had so far in this mod that it'll give the feeling of a nod to realism while still feeling "Kerbal".  

3 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Ah, I was not aware Nertea was working on something for radiation

Ah, I kinda hoped that you two actually worked together on this, it wouldn't be the first time :-) Having to choose between these would break my fragile heart :-/

Also, he has a thread about it

Note that Nertea is intensely busy IRL, and may not have the time and/or endurance to actually continue working that proof of concept. I definitely wouldn't hold up starting a save for it.

If a fellow modder is interested in the concept, there's always the option of asking Nertea to take over development - worst thing that could happen is getting a "no", and then that just means he'll finish it himself sometime :P

Question: how feasible would it be for items in KIS containers to affect life-support values? I'm thinking that it would be fun for the small EVA items like the guitar and so on to offer a small boost to hab.

8 minutes ago, cantab said:

Question: how feasible would it be for items in KIS containers to affect life-support values? I'm thinking that it would be fun for the small EVA items like the guitar and so on to offer a small boost to hab.

Unfortunately, not very feasible.  Items in KIS storage don't actually exist anywhere - KIS keeps track of what's supposed to be where and re-generates the item when you pull it out of storage.  So to do this RoverDude would have to have a code to directly hook into KIS's code.

Can I suggest/request a difficulty option?

I would like it if I could have unsupplied/homesick kerbals not become tourists, but destroy unmanned parts at random daily.

45 minutes ago, Andem said:

Can I suggest/request a difficulty option?

I would like it if I could have unsupplied/homesick kerbals not become tourists, but destroy unmanned parts at random daily.

Use the configuration window to switch the effect to "Mutiny" -- and that's basically what you get.  Although, I don't think they're picky about manned vs unmanned -- and I think they only do one part.  But sometimes that part in a very important structural element and their vessel ends up breaking in two.  Then after they've vented by destroying something, then they become a tourist.

12 minutes ago, mcortez said:

Use the configuration window to switch the effect to "Mutiny" -- and that's basically what you get.  Although, I don't think they're picky about manned vs unmanned -- and I think they only do one part.  But sometimes that part in a very important structural element and their vessel ends up breaking in two.  Then after they've vented by destroying something, then they become a tourist.

Exactly... I want the mutiny, without the touristification.

9 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Why would mutinous Kerbals wreck your stuff, but at the same time continue obeying all your commands? That makes no sense...

Ehh, whatever. I thought it was a long shot anyway.

I just set mine to "death" (for supplies). I figure I've got enough time to see the problem, and if I get that far and can't deal with losing Kerbals, I can reload or cheat.

By the way, not trying to hijack the thread, but I discovered a mod with USI-LS support today that I absolutely love: Kerbal Planetary Base Systems. If you're looking for a really nice looking way to build bases, this may be your solution.

6 minutes ago, PaveliusOfficial said:

I have problem with mod because Val become a tourist even if she is orange suited kerbal.

The defaults have changed since the OP was originally written.  Luckily the mod has a nice in game config panel so you can check and adjust the settings to your liking.

6 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

The defaults have changed since the OP was originally written.  Luckily the mod has a nice in game config panel so you can check and adjust the settings to your liking.

I sent her to Sun orbit without supplies and i can't find how i can get back her to Kerbin because of LS. I don't know how open settings in game.

EDIT
I deal with this by editing setting but i will be really glad if you tell me how i can adjust settings in game :)

Edited by PaveliusOfficial

2 minutes ago, PaveliusOfficial said:

I sent her to Sun orbit without supplies and i can't find how i can get back her to Kerbin because of LS. I don't know how open settings in game.

you can open the LS window in the KSC scene to see settings.  In order to change her back you will have to manually edit the save file to change Val back.

Which settings file is used? I have most of your mods installed, and I noticed that the "settings" file which comes with this mod, has a file that is almost identical in the UKS folder called "USI-LS". Which do I make changes in to effect my game? Also are there suppose to be innate mulch and supplies in the stock command pods? Because there isn't in mine which creates a few problems :) 

EDIT: And what is the "NoHome"? I can't find anything on it on your wiki :)  Found it. However this still seems to suggest, at least to me, that a Kerbal will get homesick immediately when inside, say, a pod. What am i missing here? Again found it. In settings file it says 1 crew capacity = 1 month of hab time, in case anyone else wonders at some point

Edited by Sokar408

14 minutes ago, Sokar408 said:

Which settings file is used? I have most of your mods installed, and I noticed that the "settings" file which comes with this mod, has a file that is almost identical in the UKS folder called "USI-LS". Which do I make changes in to effect my game? Also are there suppose to be innate mulch and supplies in the stock command pods? Because there isn't in mine which creates a few problems :) 

EDIT: And what is the "NoHome"? I can't find anything on it on your wiki :)

I'll get you a screenshot in a few minutes when the game loads up, maybe we can add them to the wiki for ease of understanding? In the mean time, home time is when your kerbals wish to return to Kerbin. I think it's off by default unless you have MKS as well.

Just now, Andem said:

I'll get you a screenshot in a few minutes when the game loads up, maybe we can add them to the wiki for ease of understanding? In the mean time, home time is when your kerbals wish to return to Kerbin. I think it's off by default unless you have MKS as well.

I have MKS. Am I then to understand that MKS's settings file will overwrite the one in the LS folder?

32 minutes ago, Sokar408 said:

I have MKS. Am I then to understand that MKS's settings file will overwrite the one in the LS folder?

Not exactly.  USI-LS will use the most pessimistic setting for any given setting.  So whichever setting is more hardcore.  But that is just the defaults.  If you adjust the settings via in game panel those will become the new settings and IIRC are then written to the save file.

1 minute ago, goldenpsp said:

Not exactly.  USI-LS will use the most pessimistic setting for any given setting.  So whichever setting is more hardcore.  But that is just the defaults.  If you adjust the settings via in game panel those will become the new settings and IIRC are then written to the save file.

Ahhh I haven't used this mod in a while, and back then (at least to my knowledge) there wasn't an in-game settings menu. Thanks for the clarification. Now just to be completely sure here. Are all the command pods suppose to be without supplies?

1 minute ago, Sokar408 said:

Ahhh I haven't used this mod in a while, and back then (at least to my knowledge) there wasn't an in-game settings menu. Thanks for the clarification. Now just to be completely sure here. Are all the command pods suppose to be without supplies?

Yes it has always been the case that command pods do not have built in storage.

On 5/27/2016 at 9:59 AM, RoverDude said:

Ah, I was not aware Nertea was working on something for radiation - seems we're in a renaissance of life support stuff right now :)

Very likely something a bit simpler on my end - shielded parts, storm shelters, and more of a proximity based model instead of shadow shielding to keep things simple.

Will radiation work like the original concept Squad had for it? If I remember right it was talked about back in late 2012-ish?

Eve was supposed to be radioactive on its surface and highly radioactive on its oceans, making EVA and living in un-shielded habs possible only for an hour or so. Jool was to have a dangerous radiation belt that would have encompassed Laythe. EVA or venturing into the belt in any manned craft without heavy shielding would spell death in a few minutes and the sun would have a near impenetrable field around it.

Also if I remember right, there was supposed to be basic solar weather and safe magnetospheres around certain planets. Kerbin would have had one that would have given full protection around Kerbin and the Mun. Moho would have had a very minor one (analog to Mercury's weak magnetosphere) that would only offer trace protection. No idea on the solar weather mechanics though. I guess there would be some sort of background radiation in relation to how close you were to the sun.

As for shielding, a nice end-tech module would be an artificial magnetosphere coming in a 1.25, 2.5, and 3.75 size for ships and bases. It would give full protecting but require a lot of electricity to run and only protect what is inside the bubble, in a way similar to the bubble protection field the Alcubierre Drive add-on uses.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.