[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

9 minutes ago, Ignalion said:

Thanks. I got it. Should change the timers I think to 6h day then :)

No, the timers are correct - a second is a second :wink:

6 minutes ago, VaPaL said:

@RoverDude When you came with this concept of 15d grace period, you conceived it as 15d of emergencial/extra supplies or 15d of lack of supplies? I always wonder if I'm letting my poor kerbals starve or if they are fine. Of course irt doesn't change anything fo the game, I'm just curious :D

I assume they are busting out O2 candles, foregoing showers, drinking their own urine, and slowly starving.

8 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

I assume they are busting out O2 candles, foregoing showers, drinking their own urine, and slowly starving.

Well, that's very cruel then. I'll stop making them go to such extremes from now on! Thanks! 

What size nom-o-matic? And how many kerbals?

The small non-o-matic is only powerful enough to supply about 1.5 kerbals, the larger one will do about 6.5. So it might be working 100%.... but still not making enough to feed everyone so you'll never see the supplies ticking up!

18 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Dear RoverDude, I know you invented the mod and all that but I'm affraid your way wrong with this assumption. I've been talking to Bill Kerman and he explained to me why they behave like this in lack of supplies: Kerbals don't need supplies, their organism can survive forever without any income. However, they just love them. Those supplies are just candy, icecream, chips and snickers. They eat it like the blue fellow of Sesame Street (don't know his name in English): nothing goes in, they just chew them and everything fall back from their mouth in an awful mess they call mulch.

Now, Kerbals love to be in space but when they sign for the Space Program, although they do it for free, they include in their contract they can't be more than 15 days without supplies. If those days are done, if the player (as employer) doesn't fullfil the contract, they as employees refuse to work.

I told to Bill it seemed reasonable, but there are times when their life is in danger an could be saved only by pushing a button. He just laugh and said "We are a much more advanced civilization than yours and have alredy demonstrated scientificly the existance of heaven and, anyway... a contract is a contract".

Lately Kerbal have become more fussy and now they demand accomodations and vacations. What is going to be next? Money? When I was young a Kerbal could be stranded in a pod for centuries without a complain!!

Just a note, the first screw up I made with under supplying and a Kerb going on strike was Valentina.

I just re-read the front page, she should be immune, no?

At time I just assumed orange suit meant only the three originals.

18 minutes ago, Bishop149 said:

Just a note, the first screw up I made with under supplying and a Kerb going on strike was Valentina.

You are better off reading patch notes and/or checking configs when you start playing.  The defaults have changed over time, and can be changed depending on mods (MKS changes USI defaults).

I have a small suggestion:

A few parts for space stations/other permanent installations prior to UKS tech. A 1.25-2.5m set of parts similar to the life support tanks, but textured as a space station component, and possibly including a small recycler

14 hours ago, Bishop149 said:

Check the settings. Make sure that the Hab Effect (Vet) is set to None and that the Vet Names list include "Valentina". 

49 minutes ago, karamazovnew said:

Check the settings. Make sure that the Hab Effect (Vet) is set to None and that the Vet Names list include "Valentina". 

The defaults currently are to have the same effects for vets, and Valentina is included.

( @RoverDude, could we get the line about vets being immune removed from the OP?  It's no longer true, and it's causing repeated support questions.  :wink: )

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

( @RoverDude, could we get the line about vets being immune removed from the OP?  It's no longer true, and it's causing repeated support questions.  :wink: )

I'd second this, apologies if its not the way it should be done but the OP is still usually my first port of call ascertaining the basics of how any given mod functions, but I realise updating it can be a chore.

Basically how long a kerbal can stand to be confined in a ship. Hab stacks for ships with more then one crewable part. The total amount of hab is then divided by the number of kerbals. 

Edited by ChainiaC
typo

Ok, that explains it. The standard settings of USI-LS seem to give no detrimental effects to being homesick though.

@RoverDude maybe it's a good idea to make the Habitation part of USI-LS a standalone mod? It's not used (much) in the current USI-LS and it would be great for those who just want to think about bringing enough room for their Kerbals to live in, without the hassle of resupplying/mining.

Not sure if that really makes sense - all it does is make more work for me, and it's one of the primary bits of this mod.  Easy enough to just change your supply consumption to zero in the nice GUI I provide :wink:

Habitation is a massive part of USI:LS! In fact it's the factor which makes it different from TAC:LS, and really what pushes it over the edge.

It's the one missing part that makes manned missions to Duna difficult in the mid game - otherwise it's fairly trivial to lock them in a one man can and send them wherever they need to go.

I do think it should be enforced by default, mind you, and having some more habitation-centred parts (particularly inflatable modules) would make that difficulty curve a bit smoother.

I'm curious as to whether you'll eventually implement radiation, and how that compares with Nertea's line-of-sight concept - his does sound like he's using USI:LS as inspiration (the intent is that they become tourists), and the need to have shadow shielding and the like is pretty exciting.

Ah, I was not aware Nertea was working on something for radiation - seems we're in a renaissance of life support stuff right now :)

Very likely something a bit simpler on my end - shielded parts, storm shelters, and more of a proximity based model instead of shadow shielding to keep things simple.

This is his work-in-progress album.

It's really impressive, but I do wonder what the performance hit is going to be with the raycasting. The fundamentals sound pretty great to me (and should work well with his advanced propulsion, which is obviously the point).

Edited by Domfluff

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

Ah, I was not aware Nertea was working on something for radiation - seems we're in a renaissance of life support stuff right now :)

Very likely something a bit simpler on my end - shielded parts, storm shelters, and more of a proximity based model instead of shadow shielding to keep things simple.

Any hope you could give general guidelines on what types of current things give shielding and/or what a generally safe distance might be?  (About to design my first power plant for the Mun - which will power ~4 bases.  I don't need exact values, but if I didn't have to switch out Kerbals every couple of days once it's in play it would be nice.)

On 5/26/2016 at 11:04 AM, Bishop149 said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you are probably jumping the gun.  I don't recall seeing anything to indicate radiation is something coming soon in USI-LS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.