[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

Haha are you sure? I'm using USI LS only, not MKS. There's essentially no way of creating a self sustaining base without it, and it seems like an insane burden to have to send fertilizer on 2 1/2 year supply runs to Jool. If this is a cheat then all ISRU is. I honestly think if you're not using MKS this is s huge gameplay enhancement. I made it mass neutral like the other conversions but you could certainly make it more lossy. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

11 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Haha are you sure? I'm using USI LS only, not MKS. There's essentially no way of creating a self sustaining base without it, and it seems like an insane burden to have to send fertilizer on 2 1/2 year supply runs to Jool. If this is a cheat then all ISRU is. I honestly think if you're not using MKS this is s huge gameplay enhancement. I made it mass neutral like the other conversions but you could certainly make it more lossy. 

Actually, not a bad idea tbh - I would also not consider it cheaty since it still requires you to dig stuff up.  The main limitation with fertilizer is for interplanetary travel (i.e. having a 100% efficient recycler means that your Kerbals can eat the same bag of Cheetos for twenty years). 

My only comment would be to try to find some way to use Gypsum instead of Ore, since that's what is used in other places to generate fertilizer for this mod.  (BTW: if you don't want to load the full MKS package, Kerbal Planetary Base Systems has USI-LS support, and some parts that will generate fertilizer.)  But that would be me trying to make sure things fit.  ;)

8 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Yep, I'd likely just add a gypsum drill.  As for base parts, MKS-Lite and UKS really have the best synergy with this mod ;) 

I'd be totally cool with that. Having a second set of criteria when selecting landing zones seems completely reasonable. 

18 hours ago, RoverDude said:

1.1 Pre-Release is up!

0.4.0 - 2016.03.29
-------------
Compatibility with KSP 1.1

Download from GitHub:  https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI-LS/releases

I was setting up the mods for trying 1.1 tonight, and I noticed in the change notes for the community resource pack, that you lowered the cost of the life support resources (supplies, mulch, fertilizer) rather significantly there.  However, in the LS mod resources.cfg, they have the old value.

Two questions:

First - is this intentional?

Second - if it is intentional, which value will the game respect?

Hello Rover Dude,

Now that KSP 1.1 is in pre release I have started playing KSP again. I noticed your mods where available for 1.1 so I installed them as well, nice and quick of you, amazing.

The above is to illustrate that it was the first time I use your Life Support mod.

Today I had Jeb go on strike as he was already on a return trajectory he did not survive. I now know how to add supplies to my craft and see when they will go on strike.

However the first post on this thread says the veteran kerbals like Jeb are immune to the effects. The defaults in the configuration file is NoSupplyEffectVets = 1 which mean that they are not immune. Also your wiki says they are not immune. Would you be so kind to fix the first port of this thread?

Cheers and tanks for all the mods.

On 3/30/2016 at 5:23 PM, TjientaVara said:

However the first post on this thread says...

Yeah, the first post is WAY out of date. He's been playing around with the mod and adding quite a bit, so I've just assumed that he's too busy to bother updating the first post until the mod starts to settle down a bit. I think the wiki on Github is probably the best source of info on the details for now.

34 minutes ago, jofwu said:

Yeah, the first post is WAY out of date. He's been playing around with the mod and adding quite a bit, so I've just assumed that he's too busy to bother updating the first post until the mod starts to settle down a bit. I think the wiki on Github is probably the best source of info on the details for now.

release notes are worth reading too.

i just recently downloaded this mod and as far as i understand the  Orange suited Kerbals (Jeb, Bill, Bob, and Val) are immune to this mod but they all become tourist after 15 ish days. i have changed the settings file to

SupplyTime = 324000            //How many seconds before Kerbals are affected by no supplies
    EVATime = 21600                //How many seconds before ill effects on EVA
    ECAmount = 0.01                //EC per Kerbal per second                        
    SupplyAmount = 0.00075        //Supplies consumed per Kerbal per second
    WasteAmount = 0.00075        //Mulch produced per Kerbal per second
    NoSupplyEffect = 1            //Effect if a Kerbal has no supplies or EC
    NoSupplyEffectVets = 0        //Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and has no supplies or EC
    EVAEffect = 1                //Effect if a Kerbal exceeds EVA time        
    EVAEffectVets = 0            //Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and exceeds EVA time
    NoHomeEffect = 0            //Effect if a Kerbal becomes homesick
    NoHomeEffectVets = 0        //Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and becomes homesick
    HabMultiplier = 5            //Bonus to hab values (1 = default = 100% of the part's rated value)
    HomeWorldAltitude = 25000    //Altitude on Kerbin that negative effects are removed
    BaseHabTime = 1                //How long can 1 crew capacity support 1 Kerbal, expressed in Kerbal Months
    ReplacementPartAmount = 0    //How fast life support equipment and habs 'wears out'
    HabRange = 150                //How close we need to be to use other vessel's habitation modules and recyclers.
    EnableRecyclers = true        //Use resource recyclers?  Not the same as resource converteres like greenhouses!
    VetNames = Jebediah,Valentina,Bill,Bob    
}

//  SIDE EFFECTS:
// 
//  0 = No Effect (The feature is effectively turned off
//  1 = Grouchy (they become a Tourist until rescued)
//  2 = Mutinous (A tourist, but destroys a part of a nearby vessel...)
//  3 = Instantly 'wander' back to the KSC - don't ask us how!
//  4 = M.I.A. (will eventually respawn)
//  5 = K.I.A. 

as far as i understand they should not become inactive(tourists)
What is causing this?

Thanx ;)

1 hour ago, the_pink_elephant_007 said:

i just recently downloaded this mod and as far as i understand the  Orange suited Kerbals (Jeb, Bill, Bob, and Val) are immune to this mod but they all become tourist after 15 ish days. i have changed the settings file to

SupplyTime = 324000            //How many seconds before Kerbals are affected by no supplies
    EVATime = 21600                //How many seconds before ill effects on EVA
    ECAmount = 0.01                //EC per Kerbal per second                        
    SupplyAmount = 0.00075        //Supplies consumed per Kerbal per second
    WasteAmount = 0.00075        //Mulch produced per Kerbal per second
    NoSupplyEffect = 1            //Effect if a Kerbal has no supplies or EC
    NoSupplyEffectVets = 0        //Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and has no supplies or EC
    EVAEffect = 1                //Effect if a Kerbal exceeds EVA time        
    EVAEffectVets = 0            //Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and exceeds EVA time
    NoHomeEffect = 0            //Effect if a Kerbal becomes homesick
    NoHomeEffectVets = 0        //Effect if a Kerbal is a vet and becomes homesick
    HabMultiplier = 5            //Bonus to hab values (1 = default = 100% of the part's rated value)
    HomeWorldAltitude = 25000    //Altitude on Kerbin that negative effects are removed
    BaseHabTime = 1                //How long can 1 crew capacity support 1 Kerbal, expressed in Kerbal Months
    ReplacementPartAmount = 0    //How fast life support equipment and habs 'wears out'
    HabRange = 150                //How close we need to be to use other vessel's habitation modules and recyclers.
    EnableRecyclers = true        //Use resource recyclers?  Not the same as resource converteres like greenhouses!
    VetNames = Jebediah,Valentina,Bill,Bob    
}

//  SIDE EFFECTS:
// 
//  0 = No Effect (The feature is effectively turned off
//  1 = Grouchy (they become a Tourist until rescued)
//  2 = Mutinous (A tourist, but destroys a part of a nearby vessel...)
//  3 = Instantly 'wander' back to the KSC - don't ask us how!
//  4 = M.I.A. (will eventually respawn)
//  5 = K.I.A. 

as far as i understand they should not become inactive(tourists)
What is causing this?

Thanx ;)

Once they have become tourists they won't automatically go back even after you change the config settings.  You will also have to go into your save file and manually change their status.  Once you do that, they won't become tourists again.

58 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Once they have become tourists they won't automatically go back even after you change the config settings.  You will also have to go into your save file and manually change their status.  Once you do that, they won't become tourists again.

i haven't tried to change there status in the save file. But i have tried to launch multiple vessels and it happens every time. i can try to edit the save file, but i dont wont do do that every time.

10 hours ago, the_pink_elephant_007 said:

i haven't tried to change there status in the save file. But i have tried to launch multiple vessels and it happens every time. i can try to edit the save file, but i dont wont do do that every time.

Is that the only config file you have in GameData?  If you have more than one, the most pessimistic settings are used.  (Other places to look: USI Kolonisation, and Planetary Base Systems.)

@RoverDude, quick question re: adding USI-LS support to parts from other mods: are there any issues with adding KerbalMonths and/or hab multipliers to parts that don't actually have a crew capacity? I had a brief conversation with jofwu about it here and I don't anticipate any problems, but I figured I would double-check with you to make sure. Thinking about submitting some updated pull requests to Nertea for USI-LS support of the crew tubes in Stockalike Station Parts and Near Future Construction, which are habitable but don't actually have seats.

I have two questions:

1. According to the wiki, if I turn off wear & tear in USI-LS's configuration, UKS will turn it back on. Can I counteract this by turning it off in UKS's USI-LS.cfg file as well?

2. Would you be willing to extend the formula for the rate at which unhappiness accumulates to allow for more complex behaviour? At the moment, your formula appears to be something along the lines of:

(monthly unhappiness) = NoOfKerbals / (Hab-months * BaseHabTime)

What I would like is if the rate was instead:

(monthly unhappiness) = (NoOfKerbals + Offset) / (Hab-months * BaseHabTime) - Offset

...with Offset defined in the config file. If Offset = 0, unhappiness is accrued at the same rate it is now. But if someone set Offset to greater than 0, then it is possible to create a sufficiently large space station in which Kerbals could live indefinitely or even lose unhappiness without returning to Kerbin, with the threshold being ((1/Offset) + 1) Hab-months per Kerbal. An offset of 0.02 (i.e. 1/50) requires 51 Hab-months per Kerbal, an offset of 0.05 (i.e. 1/20) requires 21 Hab-months per Kerbal, and so on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.