Ok...couple questions/observations about 1.0

Johnny Wishbone

Forgive me if this stuff was covered in a twitch stream or some other 1.0 preview video, but I have a couple questions/observations now that I've got my hands on 1.0.

- In career mode, no antenna to start with, but we get a mystery goo container? So no more spamming crew reports since you can only hold one and not be able to transmit it without an antenna?

- It looks like each capsule has some sort of basic heat shielding, but there doesn't seem to be any metion of it on the part itself or way of telling how it is working. I launched a capsule about 100km up and brought it down with no heat shield (since you don't start with any) and it survived. Admittedly, I haven't really played around much with the actual heat shields, but from what I know, they have a lifespan and if you come in too steep, you can burn them right up. Why no such info for the capsules if they appear to have a basic heat shield?

- Also heat shields as "aerodynamic" parts? Doesn't make sense to me; they seem more like structural parts in the same way as a stack seperator/decoupler.

- The camera wobble is nauseating and annoying. That said, I'll probably get used to it eventually. I know you can adjust it in the settings, so don't jump all over me about that. I want to try and play this with all the new "features" to see what I like and what I don't. For now, I'm not a big fan of the camera wobble, but I'm giving it a chance.

- Haven't really played around with the fairings too much yet, but the one time I tried them out, I liked how they worked.

- New aerodynamics haven't really made an impact on the stuff I build or fly, but I'm still doing very basic stuff. Never was a big spaceplane fan, so not sure how much this will impact me. But I'm flying my rockets same as before without any real issues yet.

So far, I'm having fun with 1.0. Liking most of what I've seen.

Anyone figured out where to take Tourists yet?

I have one that wants a suborbital flight and I've given her three flights so far and mission still won't complete.

I keep looking for more info or some sort of map marker for what she wants but I don't see it yet.

I have one that wants a suborbital flight and I've given her three flights so far and mission still won't complete.

I keep looking for more info or some sort of map marker for what she wants but I don't see it yet.

Take them above 70KM before going down again..

Anything lower and it wont count as suborbital on Kerbin.

Having not seen the tourist mission first-hand... Suborbital means you have to reach space, but not an orbit. It MIGHT require the periapsis to be above ground, but not out of the atmosphere?

Have you gotten your rocket more than 70km in height? Have you raised your periapsis to at least say 20km?

They converted all the textures to .dds, while previously, the game would convert them to .dds on startup (correct me if I phrased this wrong)

Yep, that's pretty much exactly correct. All textures have been DDS converted and optimized for faster game loading.

all my command pods seem to want to flip head on and burn their chutes on reentry

Noticed this too, luckily i held it steady long enough for the main burn to be over before i lost it and it flipped.

perhaps a CoG issue with the pods in the new aero model?

why is the material bay causes my capsule to orient itself forward into reentry? how could i even survive that? plus parachutes are WAAAAAY OP the slow you down at 10k At 20 G's really op should be about a quarter or third of that

If the Tourist contracts are anything like the one from the Contract Configurator mod, you will need a pilot on board of the ship as well, and there's usually a requirement about minimal flight duration too. I'd just read the fine print really carefully.

- The camera wobble is nauseating and annoying. That said, I'll probably get used to it eventually. I know you can adjust it in the settings, so don't jump all over me about that. I want to try and play this with all the new "features" to see what I like and what I don't. For now, I'm not a big fan of the camera wobble, but I'm giving it a chance.

I turned it off after literally five seconds. I don't like how it's a slow drunken wobble, and not a rapid but subtle vibration (like would be expected from a rocket...). It even shows up as a slow wobble in IVA, while just flying smooth and steady in a plane. I never have really been susceptible to motion sickness until I met this camera.

Not fond of how far down fairings are in the tech tree. Career in general just seems, amazingly, like even more of a tedious slog than it was before (and this is with default settings). Is it just me, or are building upgrade prices even more ridiculous now than they were before?

I'm going to bet parachutes are enough to land lots of stuff on Duna, now, given how much more they slow you down.

I can't make sense of the overheat mechanics for resource gathering/processing. It seems to fluctuate up and down of its own free will, and at times it will just suddenly detonate the rear half of my ship without warning. Wasn't there supposed to be some overlay that let you see the overall heat of your ship? And one for aerodynamic stability? And, hell, where is the delta-v indicator we were promised? I haven't seen anything on engineer kerbals for it, or anywhere else.

I'll be honest... it, as I was afraid of, just doesn't feel like a release-quality game. You still get multiple second long freezes when going between KSC scenes, or even just closing the map view for the first time (that one I really don't understand...). Loading times on start are faster but the game still struggles, mostly due to terrain slowness as far as I can tell.

And, you know, no clouds, despite there being clouds in the (still-inexplicably-static) hangar/VAB backgrounds, and even in the trailer for 1.0.

Egh...

Edited by NovaSilisko

Building upgrade costs have gone down by roughly 25% so says Harvester in the change log.

Facility upgrade costs re-evaluated, lowered by about a quarter overall.
Edited by Thnd3r

Building upgrade costs have gone down by roughly 25% so says Harvester in the change log.

that cant be right. In 0.90 with default settings, you could take the "escape the atmosphere" and "orbit kerbin" contracts and use the advanced funds from them to upgrade the mission control building so you could go back in and take the rest of the contracts, all before you even launched your first craft. Now, taking those 2 contracts leaves you a couple hundred funds short of the 75k you need to upgrade the building. The cost of the building upgrade increased by 25% from what i can tell, not decreased.

I'll be honest... it, as I was afraid of, just doesn't feel like a release-quality game.

Really getting this impression too. There's a lot of great new additions, but it feels as though everything was pretty rushed. The new aero seems unbalanced, especially in regard to issues like capsules flipping on re-entry, the lack of aerodynamic overlays is frustrating, especially when the dev notes said it'd be included. I've noticed a few bugs that, whilst not game breaking, definitely seem to be odd for a stable release (loud noises when timewarping in atmo, lots of part clipping). It's been said before that the release date of 1.0 couldn't be changed due to business reasons, and I really feel like so many little things were omitted for this reason. Really does feel like 0.95 Beta.

Really does feel like 0.95 Beta.

In this, the Internet Age, those version numbers don't really mean anything (unless they really do pack up KSP dev, unlikely) and post 1.0 patches are common. Assetto Corsa is already at 1.0.5 (it went 1.0 last month).

In this, the Internet Age, those version numbers don't really mean anything (unless they really do pack up KSP dev, unlikely) and post 1.0 patches are common. Assetto Corsa is already at 1.0.5 (it went 1.0 last month).

I don't really get what you mean. Why do they not mean anything? It's been the Internet Age for quite some time now and generally the process has stuck with Alpha>Beta>Release Candidates>Release>Post-release fixes/expansions. Release candidates being the one not done here - where there's an absolute freeze on new features, and a few versions are gone through doing nothing but bugfixes before the triumphant Release build.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.