Windows 64 bit community workaround

WWEdeadman

I'm going to be trying this as using the opengl option isn't exactly ideal, I find my GPU running at 100% almost constantly causing serious heating problems.

If this fails I may just remove clouds (they're so pretty but seem to be my main ram hog) and go back to 32 bit d3d.

If this does work I should be able to run kerbinside which I'm looking forward to.

EDIT: What's with the nyancat? :o

After loading up the FAR shuttle and unintentionally reenacting the Columbia disaster I found a few issues, kerbal IVA portraits looked zoomed in, each kerbal was sitting a bit higher than they should have, when I opened someone's inventory their portrait was missing, then after the crash when I returned to the space center I couldn't click on anything, exiting and reloading didn't help. I found the following in my log:

[EXC 22:50:58.799] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

UIManager.Update ()

UIManager.DidAnyPointerHitUI ()

SpaceCenterCamera2.InputCamera ()

SpaceCenterCamera2.Update ()

I'm going to try installing mods one at a time and see when it breaks.

Several hours and game launches later and I have another crash, this time it was while attempting to use MKS part scrapping on a lander leg that was clipping through the ground, probably unrelated to 64 bit, I've been getting the disappearing pod icon frequently though. Apart from that it's more stable than I remember 32 bit being, probably because I was running so cose to the ram limit. I've installed way more mods now. Looking at my Game data folder I have:

000_Toolbar
000_USITools(needed for USI mods)
BoulderCo-
+Clouds (medium)
+eve and jool
+city lights
Chatterer
CollisionFX
CommunityResourcePack
ContractConfigurator
ContractPacks:
+Anomaly Surveyor
+Historic missions
+Kerbinspacestation
+Remotetech
+Scansatlite
+seticontracts
+grand tours
+unmanned contracts
+tourism
CustomAsteroids for outer planets mod
DistantObject
DMagicOrbitalScience
EnhancedNavBall
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads
Firespitter (just the plugin)
FShangarExtender
HaystackContinued
HullCameraVDS
JSI (rasterprop monitor)
KAS
KerbalConstructionTime
KerbalFoundries
KerbinCity
KerbinSide(all of it)

KIS
KittopiaSpace
Kopernicus
MagicSmokeIndustries
+rework
+expansion
+Sequencer
MechJeb2
medsouz (kerbal constructs)
ModularFlightIntegrator
module manager2.2.5.dll
ModuleRCSFX
MP_Nazari (hot rockets)
MyMod
(Folder holding my module manager changes, A few thousand config file changes, mostly rebalances to tech tree, cost, weighs, heat resistance, etc, some rescaled parts and a few custom reactions)
NearFutureProps
NearFutureSolar (very heavily rebalanced)
OPM (outer planets mod) (I get heaps of error messages from this one)
PartIconFixer_1_2.dll
RcsSounds
RemoteTech
REPOSoftTech
Ampyear
SCANsat
ScienceAlert
ScienceFunding
SeriousBusiness
SETIcontracts
SmokeScreen
StageRecovery
StationPartsExpansion
SurfaceLights
TextureReplacer ( I don't have this installed, I don't know why theres a folder here with a config for outerplanets)
ThrottleControlledAvionics
TriggerTech
+Kerbal Alarm Clock
+Transfer Window Planner
TweakScale
UmbraSpaceIndustries
+Life support
+Kolonization (heavily rebalanced)
+Freight Transport Technologies
+Kontainers
+Survival pack
+Exploration pack
WaypointManager
WheelSounds
Workshop

Surprisingly stable considering. Except when I forget a few curly brackets in my configs XD.

Edited by MarcAFK

Maybe a slightly offtopic question. How do you guys verify if a mod is working/active/loaded properly (especially with x64)? Some of my used plugins don't have AVC built in, and I don't (wanna) use CKAN.

Do you search the logfile for specific error messages or do you just "test" the specific function of a mod in a sandbox save?

Download for anyone wanting 4.6.4 specifically. i cant seem to find it directly on the unity website

http://download.unity3d.com/download_unity/UnitySetup_update-4.6.4.exe

I'm sure that will help people. It was indeed a needle in a haystack to find that frikkin version.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a slightly offtopic question. How do you guys verify if a mod is working/active/loaded properly (especially with x64)? Some of my used plugins don't have AVC built in, and I don't (wanna) use CKAN.

Do you search the logfile for specific error messages or do you just "test" the specific function of a mod in a sandbox save?

I test mod's functionality. So far I haven't had a single mod not work, though, and I use more than 100 mods.

Small bug report, again I am unsure if this is a 64 bit bug/ a mod interaction bug or a more normal bug so I`ll report it here.

Sometimes RCS does not do anything. No thrust at all and no Mono usage.

In other news, there has been a release of a utility that removes the 64 bit check from all your mods.

It`s here. Trying it out now.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113069-KSP-x64-Total-Unfixer

PLEASE do not start reporting bugs to any mod devs for mods that you have unlocked with this utility (or other mod devs) unless you are sure the bug is one that remains in a 32 bit environment.

EDIT : For some reason it has failed to fix either realchutes or FAR. YMMV.

Edited by John FX

So for automatically-disabling mods like FAR and KJR, is there any way to override this and allow them to run?

- - - Updated - - -

Since John FX, you just mentioned that FAR and Realchutes failed to run even with the mod-compatibility unfixer utility?

So for automatically-disabling mods like FAR and KJR, is there any way to override this and allow them to run?

- - - Updated - - -

Since John FX, you just mentioned that FAR and Realchutes failed to run even with the mod-compatibility unfixer utility?

The unfixer worked fine for me. If you haven't tried it yet I would suggest you do at least once, even if it didn't work for one guy. I use FAR, KJR, and Realchutes and none of the three have ever given me a problem with win64 hack.

The unfixer worked fine for me. If you haven't tried it yet I would suggest you do at least once, even if it didn't work for one guy. I use FAR, KJR, and Realchutes and none of the three have ever given me a problem with win64 hack.

Yup, just tried them and they work as expected. Now, just to get Procedural Parts and Modular Fuel Tank working........

Windows 64 bit performance is INFINITELY times better than Linux 64 bit, but some of my mods are still not working properly even after the fix.

Procedural Parts doesn't allow me to modify dimensions at all, and Modular Fuel Tanks doesn't seem like its running at all.

Edited by Insanitic

I hesitate to post in here since Win64 is so looked down upon... But after trying this work around for a while it really seems to work well.

Changing to 4.6.4 seemed to have fixed a lot of win64 bugs. Not perfect, I am getting some gui flickering and some other odd visual effects. But it could just as easily be one of the mods I'm trying.

I've installed quite a few mods without too much trouble.

So far the only ones I've been trying to use that disable themselves are Extra Planetary, Kerbal Joint and Realchute. I've been rebuilding the DLLs to re-enable them.

Anyway here my current mod list:

000_FilterExtensions

000_FilterExtensions Configs

000_Toolbar

000_USITools

001ControlLock

AviationLights

BahaSP

CapCom

Chatterer

CollisionFX

CommunityResourcePack

CommunityTechTree

ContractConfigurator

ContractPacks

ContractRewardModifier

ContractsWindow

CryoEngines

Diazo

DistantObject

DMagicOrbitalScience

EditorExtensions

EnhancedNavBall

ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads

FieldExperience

Firespitter

HeatControl

InterstellarFuelSwitch

KAS

KerbalConstructionTime

KerbalEngineer

KerbalJointReinforcement

KIS

Kopernicus

KSP-AVC

LVN_Clusters

MagicSmokeIndustries

NavBallDockingAlignmentIndicator

NearFutureConstruction

NearFutureElectrical

NearFutureProps

NearFuturePropulsion

NearFutureSolar

Nereid

New_Horizons

PlanetShine

PreciseNode

ProceduralFairings

QuickGoTo

QuickHide

QuickScroll

QuickSearch

Ravien

RCSBuildAid

RealChute

RemoteTech

SCANsat

scatterer

SeriousBusiness

SETIcontracts

SETIctt

SETIgreenhouse

StageRecovery

StationPartsExpansion

StockBugFixModules

Tantares

TantaresLV

TemperatureGaugeKiller

Trajectories

TriggerTech

TweakScale

UmbraSpaceIndustries

VenStockRevamp

WaypointManager

WombatConversions

ModuleManager.2.6.5.dll

StockPlusController.cfg

Edited by Nori

Yup, I got FAR and KJR working by using this at the very least. But, FERRAM and any other modder: If you are checking my profile because I have reported some odd bug, that bug is from my, or has at least been reproduced on my 32-bit install.

Yup, I got FAR and KJR working by using this at the very least. But, FERRAM and any other modder: If you are checking my profile because I have reported some odd bug, that bug is from my, or has at least been reproduced on my 32-bit install.

Wait... are you saying FAR works? Because some of the comments suggest otherwise. FAR is a fairly big deal, and probably the main reason I hesitate to use this hack if the mod won't work with it. If FAR works, I may switch over for my main playthrough.

The only mods I have really confirmed to not work are Deadly Reentry and RealChutes. Both of these are really great mods for making more challenging but not impossible reentry. Since that's a fairly small part of the game, I can probably live without it in exchange for having no more memory restrictions.

Edited by Recon777

Well guys, I managed to crash it! While loading my 40t rover into a cargo plane with KAS winches, the game crashed.

HOWEVER!

The log file reports FRAPS as the culprit. Don't know how or why, but there goes my FPS indicator xD Not that I didn't know it was 9 FPS anyway :P

So, be ware of FRAPS!

Well guys, I managed to crash it! While loading my 40t rover into a cargo plane with KAS winches, the game crashed.

HOWEVER!

The log file reports FRAPS as the culprit. Don't know how or why, but there goes my FPS indicator xD Not that I didn't know it was 9 FPS anyway :P

So, be ware of FRAPS!

Have you tried using the steam FPS indicator? It's very simple but it does its job.

Do you guyz have FAR really working? Cause after I installed the unfixer, the FAR menus are showing up on VAB and in flight, buttons in toolbars, options on parts GUI, etc., but the mod itself isn't calculationg anything. No control surface responds to control inputs, and the numbers in the menus (speed, forces, etc.) are all zeros, and no sign of updating when the airplane/rocket is fired up.

So, anyone got FAR really doing its magic on Win64? If so, did you change anything in the config or had it recompiled?

Mega

@Shadowedcross Steam has FPS indicator? :-O

@Megafly maybe it's the FAR bug where it unloads randomly? Try the new dev version, should be lessened. Also, I'm not using FAR actually, since that random unloading (or disabling, whatever) really irriates me, so I don't actually konw if the unfixer really works. But I'm guessing the entire mod would be disabled if it didn't work so, try finding the dev version, link to it is listed somewhere near the end of the FAR thread.

@Megafly maybe it's the FAR bug where it unloads randomly? Try the new dev version, should be lessened. Also, I'm not using FAR actually, since that random unloading (or disabling, whatever) really irriates me, so I don't actually konw if the unfixer really works. But I'm guessing the entire mod would be disabled if it didn't work so, try finding the dev version, link to it is listed somewhere near the end of the FAR thread.

Thnx for the clue, man, gonna try the dev version and see if it improves the issue.

Edit: no luck. I have been tinkering with the 3 compatible versions (for 1.0+) so far built by ferram4 and all behave the same way: the numbers about external forces (pressure, temperature, etc.) work fine, but those that should be calculated by FAR (elevation, drag, reynold, etc) are all 0 or NaN. As far as I can tell, the voxel model is not built, as all SPH procedures (simulate and so on) are irresponsive, I click the buttons and nothing happens.

Edited by Megafly

I've discovered what was causing my crashes. Apart from that, the only bugs I've having with 64 bit are the 2 major ones:

Command pod icon vanishes when VAB is loaded.

Left clicking turns into rightclick.

The Astronaught complex lounge is visible for half a second occasionally during a screen transition.

Nyan cat...... I uninstalled FAR ages ago but it's still there.

Now for the cause of my 64 bit crashes. I've been running out of ram, heh. I noticed that after loading the FAR stock shuttle I had only 300 MB ram left before a launch. I kind of forgot that I wore out one of my RAM sticks and was running on 8 GB.

KSP was taking 6.5 GB and windows ate the rest. Launching the shuttle slowly ate away what was left and if I crashed the ship I ran out and everything locked up. It was probably one of my mods actually causing the crash but I don't blame it. My solution unfortunately was to go to half resolution textures, I haven't noticed a difference except grass actually looks better with the slight blurring of half texture.

I like how there is still a great Win64 following. I am still putting most my time in with .90 for now because RO hasn't been updated yet. But I like what I'm seeing with 1.02+. Keep it up guys!

there's a quite stable dev version already(probably the last before release).

I assume i have unity already installed, as KSP works, but i can't find the folder. it's not in the programs folder, so assume it might be somewhere in the steam folder(I'm using the steam version), but i have trouble finding it. any help?

there's a quite stable dev version already(probably the last before release).

I assume i have unity already installed, as KSP works, but i can't find the folder. it's not in the programs folder, so assume it might be somewhere in the steam folder(I'm using the steam version), but i have trouble finding it. any help?

dev version here?

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/tree/d92e41bc54af3a9c1136876ee638844e92c7e14f

Tried this last night and played all day today with not one crash!

Ive got about 12 mods on and running astronomers interstellar pack and i'm sitting at around 5gb memory usage and can play at this with great performance and no crashing to worry about :D

Thanks for the workaround.

Actually, I ran into a really interresting occurence. My first Mun landing in 1.x, and as soon as Bob disembarked, the game decided to see how much power can my CPU use. Pretty much halted my whole computer. However, it DID NOT CRASH. After a while, it proceeded almost normally, then struck again. I tested with x32 version, and there was no such issues.

However, a note: In this particular save game, there has been a lot of mods added and removed during play, so it doesn't have to be an x64 thing, but it DID stop when I returned to x32.

So, I guess it's worth mentioning.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.