New tech tree editor?

Mulbin

With the changes to the was KSP reads tech trees (from a .cfg file) is there any scope for an simple GUI for quickly creating custom tech trees? An external "drag and drop" editor would be awesome!

More troublesome seems the fact that it cannot be altered with Module manager Yet

Why not? The tree seems to be fully defined in the config, and each part has its tech tree node defined in its own file. Does changing any of this via modulemanager config not change it in game?

(note, I haven't tried it. I was going to but then I played)

Why not? The tree seems to be fully defined in the config, and each part has its tech tree node defined in its own file. Does changing any of this via modulemanager config not change it in game?

(note, I haven't tried it. I was going to but then I played)

On the MM thread Sarbian said the tree is called very late on loading so changes by MM are reverted by the game.

IF we are talking an external editor though, could it not just replace the original file when you commit your changes? It could possibly backup the original or just ship with a stock version for resetting to default. MM could still be used to change the tech nodes for individual parts.

yes... so you make the editor replace the file in the squad directory.

To recap what I'm talking about

1. Open the fictional (potential) tree editor - outside of KSP...KSP isn't even loaded.

2. Drag and drop / use editor to make a tree you like

3. Click "export"

4. The editor then replaces the tree file in the squad folder (or saves your new config file somewhere for you to paste over the squad one manually / back up the stock one etc.)

5. The editor then also drops a MM file into your game data folder with the tech node changes for all the parts

6. Load KSP - your new tree has replaced the stock tree.

Does this explain better what I am suggesting?

In conjunction to a tech tree editor, I'd like to see the stock game come with a tech tree selector in the Customise Game menu, to allow users to easily choose their desired tech tree without overwriting the SQUAD defaults.

Not at home so I can't check at the moment, but I thought one of the changes with 1.0 is the tech tree .cfg file being per-save (as well as being customizable at all). Something to keep in mind, anyways.

Modulemanager has been updated to correctly change the tech tree, making this all the more possible.

Nice! Because I would like to start a "real" Career as soon as RSS is out (I know this will take a while). Starting with propeller parts only, going to Jets and basic small rockets before reaching for fancy stuff like decouplers and commandpods, and later docking and so on.

I really hope, that there will be an easy tool or even something pre-built, which includes mods.

If someone is going to take the time to make a tech tree editor, I would much rather see an in game editor if possible as that would be about 50 times more useful. It makes it a lot easier to organizing and moving around parts in the tree, especially for mods you aren't very familiar with.

If anyone is going to start a tree editor, you should post about it here. I've started looking into it, but my progress may be slow since I am starting with zero plugin experience. I just don't want to pour a ton of time into it if someone else is going to finish something else first. Maybe a few of us could collaborate?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.