Drunken pilot challenge

That was fun. Quirky, but not unmanageable. Take-off is really hairy. Cruising needs to be held slow enough to prevent the whiplashes from really waking up and throwning the nose up and over. I really can't compete with the landing in that other video. That was just epic.

As far as the challenge, maybe I should have asked before attempting the challenge, but is "deploying" an aerodynamic surface against the rules? I assumed not, since in most cases, it's effectively an extreme trim setting. Looking at the craft in the SPH, I expected deployment of the tail surfaces might help keep the nose down, so that's how I flew it.

Anyway, here's a video of my entire attempt: (from time index 3:30 to 7:00 is pretty uneventful. And after landing and taxiing, I was trying to get a group shot of the crew but the cameraman is apparently deeply claustrophobic.

Apologies for Valentina's absence. In my sandbox save, she's...err...on...sabbatical... yeah, that's the ticket. Taking a little trip to study marine biology.

Edited by ExaltedDuck
trying to embed rather than link to video

Tha plane was the single worst thing I have ever flown ever. I need a beer or 20 after that, But none the less, DONE! Landing was super sketchy and that is putting it lightly, I ended up exploding on contact and then the cabin slid down the hill to the right of the runway, but I made it.

fFV4ckr.pngHKQKRvS.pngqxvFgvS.png

The two major problems it has are:

1. The rudders apply the opposite yaw of what you want them to. This means that SAS will also do the opposite of what it's supposed to do, so SAS makes the yaw unstable. Turn off SAS and it flies reasonably at low speeds.

2. It's really hard to land due to the placement of the landing gear and tendency for the whole thing to collapse under its own weight

This challenge needs some love. So I made a badge for you drunkards, mainly for I wanna' slap it on once I manage to land. Feel free to use it. I hope the plane can still lift off in 1.0.4...

wDT8iRt.png

EDIT: Dang, my piloting skills are nowhere near the required level... I can't even reach the end of the runway... My 'best' attempt was an accidental one when I switched to IVA: didn't see a thing, but almost managed to reach the sea...

Edited by Evanitis

Damn. More than 3 hours of struggle. The success at the end was more relieving than my first Mun-landing... and it took a lot (a LOT) more crashes. Now I'll ritually pack that cursed craft into a fairing and launch it into Kerbol. Than delete the craft-file. Maybe I'll format the HDD too, just to be sure.

In three hours I didn't manage to take off properly - even though I read the whole thread for hints, even watched the two videos. I could only finish the challenge because of a 'lucky' takeoff attempt - by lucky I mean one that destroyed some uneeded bulk of the plane. Namely most of it's engines. The rest was a breeze after that.

Guess time will heal the wounds caused by frustration. Maybe as an old man, I'll smile while telling the story of the Drunken Plane to my grandchildren. But now I just wanna' see it burn.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Alcohol never was my favorite poison, but didn't think not being accustomed to it will make this task -that- hard.

• 6 months later...

I hope the challenge is still on...

after all those New Year celebrations (on Kerbin they can last up to 1 week after New Years Eve), my Kerbals where drunk enough to reported for duty.

I must admit, flying that thing is fun, but I'll never design a plane like that myself :D:D:D I have recorded the entire flight, I wish the landing would have been.... well, you see. At least they walked away from it :D

I did not watch other videos or tips on how to do the challange, therefore don't watch my video if you don't want to get spoilered and try it out yourself before :D Yes, there are around 10 crashed and about 30 minutes of fly and explode before this final flight and video worked out :D

Doctor Mandarb's drunk Kerbals fly a plan video!

7 hours ago, Doctor Mandarb said:

I hope the challenge is still on...

Why wouldn't it be on? It's just having a slow start.. xD

Guess I have to admit that the OP wasn't actually around when I decided to make a badge for this.. not that he previously verified the entries. Though I found it a tough but fun challenge. Also I generally like flying intoxicated. So I decided to proudly wear a memento of the hellish time I spent on the Drunken Plane. I encourage you to do the same if you have similar feelings. :cool:

Great flight by the way, and a spectacular landing.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.