how to get past 5k?

mjl1966

A picture is worth a thousand words when diagnosing rocket troubles... But for general advice: keep your profile aerodynamic (ie. don't have any protruding structures on it, especially near the top), try to use a gimbal-enabled engine if you can, and stick a quadrio of steering fins near the base of the rocket. Also, during ascent, be sure that you keep pointed fairly close to the prograde (yellow circle) marker. You can't just violently pitch around in the new aero model unless you have some serious wings on your craft, and that has its own problems too (such as inducing quite a lot of drag).

I generally keep my ships under 250m/s or so to atleast 5k. you try that? also fins. a few on the base of your rocket. post a pic

Basically this. Also keep your navball middle pointer in the prograde circle or somewhere close.

okto+nosecone +fuel tank + reliant (gimbaled). can't be any simpler. Latest Mechjeb dev build can't handle it either

is 1.0.2 working for anybody? need a reality check here.

okto+nosecone +fuel tank + reliant (gimbaled). can't be any simpler. Latest Mechjeb dev build can't handle it either

working fine for me. Every now again I get the occasional flip when testing a new rocket. I launch at 1.2-1.3 TWR. With that setup you probably need to lower the throttle. Overspending will create stability problems at low altitudes.

Add fins to bottom of rocket. Stay within 5 degrees of prograde marker.

I was going to ask if you had any payload, but yeah, what you are flying there is very unstable. Since you don't have any payload on top, and because the fuel tanks in KSP drain as a single large tank (all the way from the top to the very bottom), your rocket becomes bottom heavy very quickly. If you have a payload on top it all works out much better.

Load up the Kerbal X. It works fine in 1.02, and is now actually capable of landing on the moon and returning to Earth with deltaV to spare.

Working fine for me with normal looking rockets - as others have said be gentle with the turn, and short and stubby will be more tippy.

Also you should probably be looking at being at 75-60% off horizontal by 5km with new aero.

Check the drag of the rocket. I had a few of them flip due to what I can only assume is a bug with the aerodynamics\drag. If that's the problem, then go slow straight up until you're at above 20k before turning.

If you like you can download these craft, they are all reliable in doing their job, all from my career starter pack.

Bottle rocket mk2

bFRkqBD.jpg

Description:

This rocket will in no way safely get one of your kerbals into space and possibly return them, not capable of orbit.

Cost: 10,232

Part count: 27

Weight: 13.4T

Download link:

http://www./download/zs1idmazikvsnzr/Bottle+rocket+mk+2.craft

m2g6aAP.jpg

2W5N5qM.jpg

JIc3253.jpg

bqNjMV9.jpg

DIC1TVq.jpg

1xEkFco.jpg

rMgDQrJ.jpg

Bottle rocket mk3

pGDoNmz.jpg

Description:

This rocket will reliably get you into LKO/HKO and safely return you back to kerbin.

Cost: 29,152

Part count: 64

Weight: 49.8T

Download link:

http://www./download/o3j579cdy1b10if/Bottle+rocket+mk+3.craft

VdI1RO6.jpg

crKSqa8.jpg

dhL1TzD.jpg

6dNPyaD.jpg

tsqbtxR.jpg

YBTHhGv.jpg

AFd6qQ9.jpg

Bottle rocket mk4

L3aVYc0.jpg

Description:

This rocket will reliably allow you to get into Munar orbit and return to kerbin safely.

Cost: 41,900

Part count: 96

Weight: 71.1T

Download link:

http://www./download/hs6dv5hi3oybcy9/Bottle+rocket+mk+4.craft

JLGFoq2.jpg

GSE18ZG.jpg

0HMKTHZ.jpg

x9qLeGU.jpg

gSLwarj.jpg

xsWQlhD.jpg

RCa2PHS.jpg

ibby6TU.jpg

VAzPWsR.jpg

Rescue rocket mk1

eiDeLUz.jpg

Description:

Capable of rescuing lost kerbals from LKO/HKO

Cost: 29,208

Part count: 61

Weight: 50.6T

Download link:

http://www./download/0uj70m98y52u4pt/Rescue+rocket+mk1.craft

hIsw2au.jpg

EhbGJbl.jpg

Hs08Ze3.jpg

hPQUvF6.jpg

d29EIg1.jpg

ssiqS3E.jpg

Ty59wC6.jpg

Mun lander mk1

lusNBSw.jpg

This rocket will reliably get you to the Mun, Land you there then send you back to kerbin again.

Cost: 98,878

Part count: 212

Weight: 223.6T

Download link:

http://www./download/vslzk47cyvq3dzc/Mun+lander+mk+1.craft

470jTP9.jpg

wSnLYTG.jpg

v2DwyJV.jpg

SJCxwVW.jpg

N3xcBsB.jpg

KK2VHwJ.jpg

phF09r5.jpg

toBLxFN.jpg

Yk5dArZ.jpg

xLrenAb.jpg

MxSoDKn.jpg

aYAT8f7.jpg

tTN45xH.jpg

CMrlwGN.jpg

Comms sat mk1

nAQDEkr.jpg

Description:

capable of putting its communications satellite into any LKO/HKO you might need.

Cost: 70,682

Part count: 145

Weight: 205.9T

Download link:

http://www./download/s9z7sx94u6irlrg/Comms+sat+mk1.craft

qJidSCX.jpg

HTNAQ0O.jpg

4yvwBTp.jpg

1D8xfmK.jpg

Triple C-T mk1

YTwnexh.jpg

Description:

This craft will safely carry a pilot and 2 kerbals to your desired destination on kerbal

Cost: 21,305

Part count: 37

Weight: 14T

Download link:

http://www./download/gxpy4lw18ebau35/Triple+C-T+mk1.craft

Triple C-T mk2

3uuACR6.jpg

Description:

A more refined version of the original plane.

Cost: 29,947

Part count: 57

Weight: 15.2T

Download link:

http://www./download/oi2785f22v3e1m7/Triple+C-T+mk2.craft

Science explorer mk1

8pI9r1d.jpg

This plane carries all the science equipment you could need to gather some science on Kerbin.

Cost: 31,067

Part count: 62

Weight: 13.4T

Download link:

http://www./download/rp6o82hlj1e38ar/Science+explorer+mk1.craft

You'd probably get better results if you lost the middle fins. You might get away with it if you keep it close to prograde, but as a general rule, drag near the nose is to be minimised as much as possible.

no matter what i try, rocket starts tumbling around 5k. reducing throttle settings did not help. stable vertical ascent until 5k, then flips out. suggestions?

What you are experiencing there is the terminal velocity + going supersonic probably.

try to stay below 300 m/s until you reach 7000m

The rockets in the last couple posts with images all strike me as massively overbuilt. My sat for all "specific orbit" contracts inside Kerbin/Mun/Minimus costs around 15k funds. My first munar return lander was less than 50k even using big clusters of 1.25m engines because I didn't have 2.5m engines unlocked yet.

47A48FD211BEA939BDD2763FD4FBA344553E6C4B

This can bring Goo to pretty much any orbit you might want, including stuff like extremely inclined/eccentric Mun orbits. It can also land on the Mun or Minmus if you want. You don't actually need the inline reaction wheel, it's just slow to rotate in space otherwise. You can also cut some parts to bring this sub 30 parts so you can do it with the starting VAB. I have a slightly smaller/cheaper version for less eccentric orbits or if I know I won't want to land it. SRBs are limited to about 60% thrust in both this and the next design.

C49F9FB19C5D6A14C2A5C40F94BD098571831FE0

I used this for a very early manned Mun flyby, although that was in 1.0 not 1.0.2, haven't tested it in latest version. That said I've found the difference in rocket performance between 1.0 to 1.0.2 to be negligible and a few things actually flew better. I would probably put some wings on this if I wanted to use it again now.

7B20177ADED61575A0DA672885C1B75C8EA5A059

This was my first manned Munar return craft. I now use one that costs about 5-6k more funds using the bigger engines, but this got the job done.

Also, just looking at the shape of your fairing and the shape of the payload, I'd guess the fairing isn't doing you much good there. I'd ditch it and shove on a nosecone.

Edited by Troubletcat

The rockets in the last couple posts with images all strike me as massively overbuilt. My sat for all "specific orbit" contracts inside Kerbin/Mun/Minimus costs around 15k funds. My first munar return lander was less than 50k even using big clusters of 1.25m engines because I didn't have 2.5m engines unlocked yet.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/39748012119069600/47A48FD211BEA939BDD2763FD4FBA344553E6C4B/

This can bring Goo to pretty much any orbit you might want, including stuff like extremely inclined/eccentric Mun orbits. It can also land on the Mun or Minmus if you want. You don't actually need the inline reaction wheel, it's just slow to rotate in space otherwise. You can also cut some parts to bring this sub 30 parts so you can do it with the starting VAB. I have a slightly smaller/cheaper version for less eccentric orbits or if I know I won't want to land it.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/39748012119076688/C49F9FB19C5D6A14C2A5C40F94BD098571831FE0/

I used this for a very early manned Mun flyby, although that was in 1.0 not 1.0.2, haven't tested it in latest version. That said I've found the difference in rocket performance between 1.0 to 1.0.2 to be negligible and a few things actually flew better. I would probably put some wings on this if I wanted to use it again now.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/39748012119081086/7B20177ADED61575A0DA672885C1B75C8EA5A059/

This was my first manned Munar return craft. I now use one that costs about 5-6k more funds using the bigger engines, but this got the job done.

Also, just looking at the shape of your fairing and the shape of the payload, I'd guess the fairing isn't doing you much good there. I'd ditch it and shove on a nosecone.

How do those rockets do the same job as mine lol?

I just dont see how these rockets manage the same amount of delta v, whats your secret lol?

C49F9FB19C5D6A14C2A5C40F94BD098571831FE0

this rocket will only just get you into Munar orbit then return you to kerbin, how does your tiny rocket manage it?

L3aVYc0.jpg

Edited by Roflcopterkklol

Putting fins that high up on the rocket won't likely work. In fact I doubt it would have worked in the old aerodynamics. And they probably have limited usefulness anyway given how high you'll be when you stage.

I had a huge amount of trouble trying to put winged craft on top of a rocket, even in 9.0. They were essentially unlaunchable.

How do those rockets do the same job as mine lol?

I just dont see how these rockets manage the same amount of delta v, whats your secret lol?

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/39748012119076688/C49F9FB19C5D6A14C2A5C40F94BD098571831FE0/

this rocket will only just get you into Munar orbit then return you to kerbin, how does your tiny rocket manage it?

http://i.imgur.com/L3aVYc0.jpg

Hang on, I'll make a video demonstrating those rockets real quick. Might take a bit of time to upload to YouTube though.

Putting fins that high up on the rocket won't likely work. In fact I doubt it would have worked in the old aerodynamics. And they probably have limited usefulness anyway given how high you'll be when you stage.

I added those fins because without them that stage was impossible to control (even with the engine gimballing). With them, it's now stable.

I had a huge amount of trouble trying to put winged craft on top of a rocket, even in 9.0. They were essentially unlaunchable.

Either put bigger wings to counteract on the back of your rockets, or put radial rockets above the wings. ;)

Managed to bring a heavy, nuclear driven mothership with 8 engines and 80 of the bigger lego wings into space. Never let it be said that you can't get crazy impractical stuff into KSP 1.0.2's space.

Alright, here's the video of my flying one of the rockets from my post (if you don't want commentary you can mute it/skip around to the good bits).

Some other notes:

-Obviously can't fly to 10km/turn 45 degree anymore, should go without saying.

-Like I said I'd definitely change the Greydisk a bit if I flew it now. It only just BARELY had enough fuel to safely capture at Kerbin and was quite unstable at launch, so I'd probably add a tad more fuel and some wings, however, I think you can see that it'd only be very small alterations needed from watching this video with such a similar design.

-The lander is obviously a completely different beast to this rocket, but I didn't want to make the video 45 minutes long to cram in both.

-Don't go too fast! Getting very mild visual "wind effect" or whatever that's actually called is okay. Any more than that and your losses due to drag are going to be more than your gains from getting away from the planet's gravity faster. You definitely should not see exterior flames while launching. At least, that's been my experience. So use thrust limiters on solid boosters to keep speed to reasonable levels until you get up high.

-The lighter your upper stage is the better. I get a lot of work done adjusting my orbit with only ~35 units of fuel because the craft is so light at that point, and the fuel I have left is probably enough to return the ship shown to Kerbin (if I wanted to). Definitely still would've had enough even if I hadn't entered the Mun's SOI at an advantageous angle by pure luck. Also keep in mind that a light payload has a knock-on effect and means you need less fuel on the stage before the payload, which means you need less on the stage before that, and so on. Obviously don't leave any vital equipment out, but minimalism is your friend.

-Fairings... Only use fairings if your upper stage has lots of crap sticking off at weird angles making the rocket do strange things. They're heavy, don't bring one if you don't need it. Make sure you make them as thin and pointy as possible if you do use one. If you add a big fat fairing to an upper stage that's generally pretty thin and well balanced, you're going to add both mass and drag, instead of reducing drag.

-Maneuver efficiently. I'm not actually very good at this - I don't have any physics education or anything like that, but... well, if you're flying in a much less efficient way than shown in the video, that's... bad, I guess?

Edited by Troubletcat

This wonder took Val and Bob to Minmus and Mun orbits, where Bob did his EVA walks to the science lab and experiments in that service bay, taking data and resetting experiments every time.

Yes, that's asparagus staging. Fuel lines are well worth it. Note that you need to upgrade astronaut complex to get EVA, which is a must and should be attempted as soon as you can do orbit. Tracking station, VAB and launchpad also upgraded.

Netted over 600 science this way.

BwqRKwe.png

P.S.: If you're looking for parachutes, they're tucked away in the service bay. Just open the bay to deploy them. I also have extendable solar panels in there as well as the rest of experiments (goo canister, thermometer, barometer).

Edited by Mipe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.