What has been your most satisfying mission in 1.0 so far?

r4pt0r

Pretty pictures of Duna! Is the sky modded, or does stock include those ... clouds? I haven't been to Duna for a while.

So far, my most satisfying mission was a simple mission to EVA on a couple locations on Kerbin. I know it sounds underwhelming, but I had great fun designing a plane with the Basic Jet Engine, swept wings, a tricycle fixed-gear undercarriage, and a bunch of Science Jr's as a fuselage. I'm using Kerbal Construction Time, and I must have simulated takeoff and landing a dozen times each before I was satisfied. When the big day came, Jeb made a beautiful 3-point landing 150 meters from the first site, and then we taxi'd to the second site to finish that one off. I've struggled with aircraft in KSP in the past, so it was great to get this done on the first try. (Sort of.) :)

Career mode here, just over 1/3 of the way into the tech tree at this point.

After completely borking my launch and munar insertion for a remote fuel delivery (a full Rockomax X200 - 32 with the junior docking clamps), it was stranded in a 100 km munar orbit, with my station at 20km.

Taking stock, I had no LFO left, but 240 Monoprop. "What could go wrong?" I thought to myself. So I dumped the main propulsion unit as it was deadweight, and planned my rendezvous.

After a nerve wracking 30 minutes I managed to dock with the station, with a grand total of 0.2 Monoprop left.

Jeb has nothing on the mad piloting skills of the Probodoboyne OKTO!

I have no idea my KSP has no parts no kerbils no mission and when a load up previous game and go to launch I am left 50-100 km away from launch pad with no way to zoom back in, ship is so small its almost not visible, so much for improving the game , I am to pissed of at moment to try reinstall ill just go back to WOT,WARTHUNDER and KF2 til I calm down

I wanted to take 2 tourists on a flyby of Minmus. But in flight I realized one of them also wanted a flyby of the Mun. As luck would have it, I managed a Mun and Minmus encounter in just one LKO ejection burn. Immense satisfaction for something so small as a moon flyby :)

It wasn't a proper mission, because I Hyperedited the ship to Duna orbit, but I was impressed with how my fuel-cell-ion plane handled in Duna's atmosphere in 1.0.2. I was able to easily fly the plane down from orbit and land it horizontally on the surface (which I always found very difficult to do in old versions of KSP).

My super cheap minimalistic satellite to fulfill a Minmus satellite contract. 12k funds, rocket barely lifted off the pad, but through 1 part good planning and 2 parts luck, the satellite made it with 2 out of 60 units of monoprop left! Good for maybe 50 m/s... (It used that one spherical mono tank to do Kerbin circularization (the booster left it little bit short to not create debris), Minmus transfer burn, course corrections and Minmus capture into the final orbit)

I am setting up a Ore-Mining Site on Minmus.

Actually it is just 3 Rovers.

-One brings the ISRU, an Ore Tank, Fuel and Monoprop Tank.

-Another Rover comes along with 2 Excavators

-And the last Rover is just a giant Solar Array.

All of them will be attached via 1,25m docking Ports and can rove around.

Pretty neat project :)

But I think I burned through at least 400.000 funds to get this all to Minmus.

Oddly enough it was a botched early career HKO testing mission (getting timing down of mun vs rocket). I sent it out, picked up a load of science (relative) and was coming back to Kerbal. What I didn't know was that Steam had updated my version, and parachutes were working,... differently. Well, my parachute burned up and Jeb was plummeting to his doom. So after the capsule made it past the fireball phase, Jeb went EVA. I knew he was doomed INSIDE the capsule, might as well try outside. At about 4,000 meters I used his jetpack to slow his descent enough to survive landing! I know many/most of you probably know this trick, but it was fun finding it out.

Valentina later used it when I foolishly attempted to get an EVA report in freefall. Kerbals don't hold on well to ladders at high speed...

I now know this works equally well over land or sea.

Edited by tranenturm
silly misspellings

Honestly, I think my single greatest moment of satisfaction in KSP 1.0 was when, after a whole night of frustration, I finally figured out how to safely land ships horizontally:

lShz0eKm.jpg

It seriously took me literally (actually literally) in the ballpark of 50 test runs before I had this Eureka moment. So while not a "big" mission, or one that got me a lot of points in the game, it sure did bring me a lot of personal satisfaction xD

To spare posterity the trouble I went through, I've detailed my findings in a tutorial, which is linked in my signature. No, this is not just a plug - it really was a big deal for me ^^;

• 2 years later...

I was working to complete a tourism contract when i tried to rendevouz my 3-kerbal munlander carrying Jeb, Bob and tourist Danvin with my munar orbiter vehicle. Like always I misinterpreted the east and west directions on the navball and took off completely in the wrong direction and had to do a 180 turn around once i saw my trajectory was wrong. I Then ran out of fuel just before getting orbital speed about 450 m/s and was about to hit the revert flight button (losing all previous progress 2 successfull mun landings/science etc.) when to my shock i discovered the "Revert Flight" buttons being Greyed out/disabled. I was so sad that I was going to see my kerbals smash into the munar surface before my very eyes, especially anticipating the demise of Jebediah Kerman was depressing but then I remembered an old video of Scott Manley were he landed and took of into orbit around minmus using only Jebediah Kerman's jetpack. So i quickly EVA'd my crew and used their Jetpacks to get them into a low munar orbit were they remained until a later rescue mission could take place. I was still sad that there was no possible way for me to save the tourist as tourists can't EVA. Danvin was doomed to smash into the mun at high speed and there was nothing i could do about it.  This is one of those missions that really had an emotional element to it were i felt like responsible for the tourists death but also was happy I was able to save my own crew after having thought them dead already. If the revert flight button hadn't been disabled this whole ordeal and the memories of poor Danvin Kerman would've never stuck with me.

Edited by Thefristi
spelling check

This thread is three years old, and is primarily concerned specifically with KSP 1.0 (e.g. the new features that were added at that time).  Since it's now years later and KSP has moved on from there (several major version releases), there's really not much to add here.  Accordingly, locking the thread to prevent further confusion.

For folks wanting to share their cool mission reports, there are plenty of threads (and even a whole "Mission Reports" subforum) available for that-- we'd love to hear what you've been up to!   :)

Happy flying!
Snark